Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-10, 07:29 PM  
penlynwilson

Red face Knee Rehab, Classical Stretch and Weights

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee last Thursday. I had a plica removed and some damage to the cartilage on my patella cleaned up. I have been riding the stationary bike/spin bike up to 15 minutes without any tension. I am a runner/triathlete and ran the Paris marathon in April (had to wait until after the marathon to find out what was up with the knee pain).

I had my follow-up appointment today. The doctor is very happy with my progression. He didn't think I needed at PT prescription since I'm an athlete and very comfortable in the gym. We talked about different exercises to do as well as when I can start swimming (next week) and running (5 weeks).

I really enjoy Classical Stretch. I enjoy weights, too. However, Miranda says not to do weights and CS together. I need to strengthen my quads and core. I do have The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Any thoughts on how/if I can combine weights and CS? I'll be doing the bike a bit and swimming, too.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
penlynwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:20 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I had the same surgery in February. I don't do CS but wanted to share something I found very helpful for recovery. My doc recommended the exercise bike, riding slowly for 10 min per day adding one minute a day until you work up to 20 minutes per day. You do 1 min riding forward then one minute backward. The forward/backward riding really works the entire knee. I had to ride very slowly at first but I quickly progressed. Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:22 PM  
penlynwilson

Paula: Thanks for that information. When I was riding the bike the other day, I went backward a bit just to see how it felt. I'll start doing it more now.
Old 06-16-10, 08:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

When/where does Miranda say not to combine weights with CS? I do both! I think that mixing up weight training (I do a mix of heavier work, endurance stuff like Jari Love, & lighter weights) with unweighted strength & toning work like CS and other barre work has worked very well for me.

Currently, I try to fit in CS twice per week. I usually do a shorter, CS TV episode earlier in the week directly after a full-body strength workout, and then I do a longer CS workout later in the week, sometimes combined with yoga, Pilates, or something like Squeeze. I'm not recovering from an injury myself, but I hope this gives you some ideas!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:54 PM  
traceym1

Miranda mentioned that in one her newsletters to address someone who wanted to lose weight and inches real fast for an event I think. Since the lady want to slim quickly she did not advise doing weights so as not to bulk. Otherwise you can do CS and whatever else however you like.

Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:55 PM  
penlynwilson

Thanks!

Toaster: Glad to hear it is working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
When/where does Miranda say not to combine weights with CS? I do both! I think that mixing up weight training (I do a mix of heavier work, endurance stuff like Jari Love, & lighter weights) with unweighted strength & toning work like CS and other barre work has worked very well for me.
I saw this in the June 2010 newsletter in the "Ask Miranda" section: "Try to avoid doing weight training as it is counter effective to classical Stretch and will give you a bulky look. You get all the strength training you need in this program. You do not have to do cardio as this program will increase your circulation and strengthen the cardiovascular system by through increased muscles and blood flow."

In the same newsletter she also talks about how bad running is for you. But, I enjoy running and plan to keep doing it.

Thanks again for the replies!
Penny
Old 06-17-10, 08:24 AM  
penlynwilson

Re-read

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceym1 View Post
Miranda mentioned that in one her newsletters to address someone who wanted to lose weight and inches real fast for an event I think. Since the lady want to slim quickly she did not advise doing weights so as not to bulk. Otherwise you can do CS and whatever else however you like.

Tracey
I re-read the newsletter. Miranda does start that answer with "to see fast results for July." Hum. . .
Old 06-17-10, 08:52 AM  
JessicaW

I was dismayed to read this in Miranda's newsletter. I love Classical Stretch. But it is a pet peeve of mine that most instructors of dvds will say that their style of workout is the ONLY thing you should do and the ONLY thing you will need to get in the BEST shape of your life. I don't believe it. I, too, use heavy weights and find that only thing that stretches me out well is Classical Stretch.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 08:58 AM  
penlynwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaW View Post
I was dismayed to read this in Miranda's newsletter. I love Classical Stretch. But it is a pet peeve of mine that most instructors of dvds will say that their style of workout is the ONLY thing you should do and the ONLY thing you will need to get in the BEST shape of your life. I don't believe it. I, too, use heavy weights and find that only thing that stretches me out well is Classical Stretch.
Jessica: I have to agree. Not doing cardio after all of the benefits that have been proven? Not going to happen. . . at least not for me.
Old 06-17-10, 09:27 AM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlynwilson View Post
Jessica: I have to agree. Not doing cardio after all of the benefits that have been proven? Not going to happen. . . at least not for me.
You are absolutely right! Don't get me wrong. Like I've said before I LOVE Classical Stretch, but I haven't been able to figure out how it could possibly meet all of your cardio needs! (or any, for that matter)
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, knees, plica, somatics, thomas hanna