Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-02, 12:43 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Yummy Yoga

When I did a Vidfit search, I found bits of info on various threads, which led me to go ahead and buy this video. I'm so glad I did. I've done it 4 times in the last week, and feel my muscles are alot more lengthened and at ease. I’ve been doing yoga for the past year, but this is something different…the moves combine yoga and somatics—a system of neuromuscular re-education. Christa Rypins gives very clear, easy to follow instructions. Some of the moves look like the movements a newborn baby makes. Its easy, fun and relaxing to do, 20 minutes each, for lower and upper body.

So, then I did a google search on somatics, and ordered the books, Somatics, Reawakening the Mind’s Control of Movement, Flexibility, and Health, Tom Hanna, (the founder of Hanna Somatic Education), and How Yoga Works by Eleanor Criswell (his wife, and teacher of Somatic Yoga). A good article, Somatics—Yogas of the West is at http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/201_1.cfm

Has anyone else had good results from Yummy Yoga, or taken classes in Somatic Yoga?
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 01:20 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Katie -- Where did you get the video?
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 01:32 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Yummy Yoga

I bought it at East West Bookshop of Seattle, $20.

To buy on-line, from the creators, its

http://www.yogaopenings.com/vid.html
Old 11-25-02, 04:00 PM  
Lori P.

Katie W.~

I've done Yummy Yoga (hate the title btw!) quite a few times and it's wonderful! It really helps loosen my back and release the tension. The more I do it the better I feel. I don't really think of it as a yoga tape though, more of a relaxation tape. I got mine through an exchange and feel I lucked out! This is my first time learning of somatic movement though years ago I did something called the 'Nikolaus Technique' (from a book) and I now realize it was based on Pilates and somatic-like movement. I used to do it at night before bed and I always was soooo relaxed when I was done and slept really well.
Old 11-25-02, 05:04 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

I agree

that the title Yummy Yoga is a little too cute. I guess it sounds more marketable than Somatic Yoga....or maybe someone else already took that title.
Old 11-25-02, 05:09 PM  
Francesca

Amazon

You can also get it there for about the same price, I had it and used it a couple of times - got a great move for my stiff neck muscles from it. I traded it away because i prefer power yoga or hatha yoga, but it taught me a few good things.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 05:31 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Nickolaus Technique

Thanks Loris, for the info on the book, Nickolaus Technique....I checked Amazon, and one reviewer wrote:

"This excellently photographed technique offers step by step instructions and encouragement. This 30 exercise series takes an hour and can be done at home. For anyone interested in Pilates, this is a must-have - Nickolaus incorporated original Pilates routines, Alexander Technique, and his own observations into this spine-stretching, posture enhancing method.

After the hour is up, you'll hardly believe you haven't acquired a brand new, longer and straighter spine. Remember Audrey Hepburn? Her incredible posture and joyous open body position is offered through the Nickolaus Technique!"

And the best part....the book is available used, for as little as $1 (plus shipping of course). My interest is really peaked now.
Old 11-25-02, 07:37 PM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

Yummy Yoga

has really helped me! I get cranial-sacral massage every two weeks and my masseuse watched it and said it integrated a lot of knowledge she uses in her work.

I LIKE the title BTW, I don't find it cute --- instead I find it comforting and pretty accurate. Oh, well,

ALWAYS have a Plan B.
Old 11-25-02, 07:58 PM  
Lori P.

Katie W.~
Years ago my mom (great mom!) copied the entire workout part of the 'Nickolaus Technique' and I did it faithfully to help me with dance. And it did! I still have it and remember most of it by heart and I will bring it out to do it occassionally. Now that I'm getting into pilates I can see the influence very much. The breath is really emphasized and that's what's so relaxing--to me anyway! It would be nice if there was a video of this!! lol
Theotoks--I hope I haven't offended you. I just felt Yummy Yoga has alot to offer and I thought the title just didn't catch what was inside so to speak! But as Katie W. said they may have been trying to market it to a wider audience and thought this would do it.
Old 11-25-02, 08:12 PM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

Smile Heck, no offense taken!

I have a good friend who calls any person or thing she likes "yummy," and another friend who calls things SHE likes "kitty," so that's probably why I don't mind it,

Tags
somatics, thomas hanna