Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-12, 09:28 PM  
dnna

classical stretch -legs and butt /injury?

I have been on a CS rotation-just 30/45 minutes of easy cardio (Leslie) and then the classics-full body, or arms and legs plus legs and butt.
I think I have injured myself doing legs-I am limping and think I have pulled my hamstring.
When you do this workout- M. tells you to pull your leg out really point and stretch it out and I think I must be overstretching while doing those moves? Is that possible? I really focus on my form and try to do it right.
any tips would be appreciated
donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 10:23 PM  
bfit

I think you can definitely injure your hamstring by overstretching it - especially if you are a little less flexible to begin with. For what it's worth, I gave up on CS because I always ended up with something hurting afterward - especially my back. It's ironic because so many people with injuries say that they've been helped with CS, but it didn't work for me.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 10:47 PM  
Edie

I injured a hamstring doing Classical Stretch a while ago. I still like the workouts and would like to add more in, but I do yoga for stretch and emotional/balance instead.

I think you can follow Miranda's instruction, but not overdo it. Know your limitations. And make sure your body is warm/heated before stretching to your limit. Also hydration and nutrition is important because if you're not hydrated or in Chinese Medicine, if you are blood or yin deficient, there is not enough "moisture" in the muscle tissue and they tear more easily. Sorry, don't know a better way of explaining myself, but I am a acupuncturist/herbalist, and that's what I would tell my patients if they are finding themselves pulling straining muscles easily.
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 10:52 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

I have also heard so many rave reviews of CS & how it has helped other people with back problems. But every time that I do them my upper hip starts so ache so BAD. It hurts on the right side lower back-hip area. It always hurts after doing the workout, but if I don't do the workout it doesn't hurt.
What seems to help me is if I put one leg up on a chair & bend over & try to touch the chair or my foot. It seems to stretch that muscle out. Then I do it to the other side. I hold about 10 sec. and repeat to other side. I do it about 3 times, alternating sides.
Is there another stretch that would help the hip area?
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:12 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Well, that is odd to get hurt doing CS. I guess I would have to agree with Edie in knowing your limitations. I am very flexible and have to be careful to not overstretch and pull something. I do CS almost every day and am one of those that Miranda's methods have helped immensely.

I wouldn't throw in the towel! Ease back and see what it does for you. Also, maybe email Miranda and ask her what she thinks? She is very good at answering email questions about proper form, etc.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 01:05 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Well, that is odd to get hurt doing CS. ....

Jackie
Not really... a lot of people have reported that in other threads. CS didn't sit well with me at all. I think it all depends on the individual. I find Miranda's moves to be under-cued and at times too fast. I do great with advanced yoga, foam rolling and Jill Miller's stuff but in the few times I tried CS, I walked away with more kinks than I brought to the session. It's not a strain issue ---I just find the moves awkward and aggravating. It's too bad because I really wanted to like CS. I'm just glad that it works so well for some people. It's a relief when you finally find the technique that works for your body!
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:33 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel*Jacobs View Post
I have also heard so many rave reviews of CS & how it has helped other people with back problems. But every time that I do them my upper hip starts so ache so BAD. It hurts on the right side lower back-hip area. It always hurts after doing the workout, but if I don't do the workout it doesn't hurt.
What seems to help me is if I put one leg up on a chair & bend over & try to touch the chair or my foot. It seems to stretch that muscle out. Then I do it to the other side. I hold about 10 sec. and repeat to other side. I do it about 3 times, alternating sides.
Is there another stretch that would help the hip area?
Rachel it sounds like you have a trigger point/s or other muscle imbalance. Have you explored trigger points and their treatment at all? It made a huge difference for me, and I do CS and LOVE it. I had a similar pain that responded to
1-trigger point therapy. You can do it yourself, search for the "Trigger Point Therapy Workbook"
2-Jill Miller Yoga Tune Down using balls. This is a CD practice; I'd be glad to loan it to you. PM if interested.
3-Thomas Hanna's Somatics exercises. He has a book and a website, plus there are multiple Somatics videos on YouTube.

Hope you get some relief!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 02:12 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Donna, I'm sorry you are having pain. Be more gentle during your stretches and try to listen to your body as you are doing the movements. There are days when I'm unable to stretch as deeply and I have to ease up. I hope you feel better soon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 05:41 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie View Post
And make sure your body is warm/heated before stretching to your limit. Also hydration and nutrition is important because if you're not hydrated or in Chinese Medicine, if you are blood or yin deficient, there is not enough "moisture" in the muscle tissue and they tear more easily. Sorry, don't know a better way of explaining myself, but I am a acupuncturist/herbalist, and that's what I would tell my patients if they are finding themselves pulling straining muscles easily.
I love acupuncture, herbalists, and all that fabulous stuff.
Great advice here - about hydration and nutrition. Both are key.

Yes, agreeing with everyone on listening to your body.
Old 01-06-12, 06:29 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Donna I'm sorry you became injured. Hope you're better soon!

I've been doing CS 3x a week, and I've come to the conclusion that Miranda's instructions are often best looked at as exaggerations. Bearing in mind that the majority of her viewers are the general (aka weak, mostly non-exercising) population as well as many elderly, with a tendency towards poor posture and slouching in everything. I think her reminders to pull out of your socket are an extreme way of keeping your body aligned (aka not slouching). There is a gentle pulling out required but not as extreme as she makes it sound.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, thomas hanna