Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 12-26-06, 11:48 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Sheepla,
You need to unplug the hand controller from the first slot and plug in the pad. DDR can be played with either the pad or hand controller, so on single-player mode it's only going to read what is in the first slot.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 09:36 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
Sheepla,
You need to unplug the hand controller from the first slot and plug in the pad. DDR can be played with either the pad or hand controller, so on single-player mode it's only going to read what is in the first slot.
I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks. That makes sense to me.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 08:53 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Okay, I'm making progress. Now I am using the dance pad as the controller and that seems to be working BUT since I didn't receive any instructions with the pad, I'm just randomly guessing which pad corresponds to which control on the controller. That seems to be working okay, but when I start dancing, I get almost all boos with only an occasional almost or good. Can someone tell me the tips which I imagine were included in the instructions? For example, do I press hard on the appropriate arrow or just tap and do I have to hit the very center of the arrow? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm addicted to this already but I can't seem to get it to read my steps. I have the 1' foam zipped inside the pad, so I think it is a good pad and I'm just doing something incorrectly. Maybe it just takes practice to hit exactly on the center of the arrow with my heel.

Any tips would be most appreciated!
Old 12-27-06, 09:51 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Which game and pad did you end up buying? I have all the PS2 DDR games except Extreme, so maybe if I know which game you have, I can help better

If your game comes with a tutorial or "lesson" mode, I recommend that you begin with that. It will give you more of an idea of what exactly you have to do, better than the written instruction book will.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 12-28-06, 12:55 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Thanks for being so patient with me. I have DDR Extreme, DDR Max and DDR Extreme 2. I'll try the lesson mode.
Old 12-28-06, 04:16 PM  
violet978

Ok, for some reason I just ordered a PS2 and the SuperNova bundle on a whim.

If I like it, what should be my next DDR game purchase? Is there anywhere that describes the games themselves? I see tonnes of extremes and max-es.. which ones are MUST haves, and which ones can I do without?
violet978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 12:17 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla
Thanks for being so patient with me. I have DDR Extreme, DDR Max and DDR Extreme 2. I'll try the lesson mode.
Extreme 2 has a good, three-part lesson mode. Once you're done with that, try playing workout mode on Beginner, where you can't fail. Or start playing the Dance Master mode - the first dozen or so songs are Beginner, IIRC, and you can build up points and start unlocking songs.

Once you've moved up to Light, try DDRMAX. It doesn't have a Beginner level, but it's the only one of the three games that has a Training mode where you can slow down the actual songs (on the other two, if you don't play on regular speed you only get beats). Good luck!

Old 12-29-06, 12:40 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet978
Ok, for some reason I just ordered a PS2 and the SuperNova bundle on a whim.

If I like it, what should be my next DDR game purchase? Is there anywhere that describes the games themselves? I see tonnes of extremes and max-es.. which ones are MUST haves, and which ones can I do without?
MAX2 and Extreme 2 are probably the ones I use most. They both have workout modes similar to SuperNOVA where you can play either individual songs or courses, and count either calories or time played. MAX2 is older, cheaper and has the old-fashioned arcade game mode where you play 3-5 songs and you're done. Ex2 has slicker graphics and more licenses, but many of the songs are locked and you have to play the Dance Master mode to get them (much like with SN's Stellar Master mode).

GameFAQs (www.gamefaqs.com) has good descriptions and songlists for each of the games.

Old 12-29-06, 09:41 AM  
violet978

Thanks Sue!

I ordered Extreme 2 and Supernova bundle.

I think I'll wait to see if I like them, and then if I do, I'll get DDRMax2.

I should probably get a game or two to justify purchasing the PS2....hmmm.
violet978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 10:17 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Success! My 12 year old niece came over last night and within minutes had switched the songs to an easier mode and showed me what I was doing wrong with timing on stepping on the errors. Plus the gamefaqs site you posted was very helpful.

I'm so glad I bought this set.

Tags
active gaming, ddr, everything