Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-14, 11:23 AM  
MamaBecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
That was nice of them.
I agree! I think they really felt quite badly about the delay and tried as hard as they could to accommodate people. I'm thrilled with the solution they came up with for me, and really appreciated the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Becky,

I'm so curious about these workouts. I have UY and most of Eion Finn's workouts and I love them. Can you tell me what the intensity level of these is like? Would I be able to do them if I can keep up with UY? Are they really that much tougher? I can't do wheel, but I can do crow, for instance. I appreciate your thoughts.

Kim
Hi Kim,

I started with UY too, and then tried YW365, which I didn't click with as much. I felt Travis' cueing was perfect for me and I liked his style. I use YW, but not as much. For me, Vytas's DYP is right up there with UY as my favorite -- Vytas' cueing is very very good, his instruction is easy to follow and really focused on form -- I have learned so much from these even on poses I thought I knew.

As for difficulty, they are definitely more advanced. I have to use the modifications often, but I still get a great practice in. Mostly the stuff I have to modify is the arm balances and handstand stuff, as I'm still working up to those. But the great thing is that Vytas breaks the balance (and the other advanced stuff) up into stages and you just work to the one you are up to and stay there while he goes on. So I'm slowly learning them, at my own pace, and that gives me the courage to try the balances, where I always skipped those before.

So, in your example, if you were doing the advanced backbend class, and he gets to wheel pose, he'll start with bridges (and this is the last move in this practice, so you are really well warmed and prepped for it), and he gives a lot of instruction on form here. Then he'll move to upward bow on the crown of the head (and maybe this is where you stay, as one guy does), then raising the head just an inch or two off the ground, with elbows still bent, then fully extended. So you will still get a great (in my opinion -- I'm not a yoga expert or anything!) practice at your level, while you work up to the most advanced stuff.

I really can't say enough good things about this set -- I love Vytas' low-key, very form-focused instruction. I love the diversity of this set, the short teaching tip clips -- all of it. I hope you enjoy it too!

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
Les Mills Combat Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Current rotation: Molly Galbraith GGS, Walking
MamaBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 07:07 PM  
Mickey12

Thanks so much, Becky. I was pretty sure I was going to order these and now I know I will get them. I didn't get Rudy's set because from the clips I didn't think I would like his voice/style. I had a feeling I would love Vytas and since you like him and also like Travis (who is just the absolute BEST), then I feel safe in my prior hunches.

Thanks again for all the information!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14, 10:01 AM  
herya

Becky, could you tell us something more about how this set is organised, what is the pace etc? Is it power yoga, or more workshop-y, slower setup work? Is there music?
Old 02-04-14, 01:19 PM  
MamaBecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
Becky, could you tell us something more about how this set is organised, what is the pace etc? Is it power yoga, or more workshop-y, slower setup work? Is there music?
I can try -- like I said earlier, I'm not a yoga expert.

There is music, it's low, very similar to the music in UY. Nothing intrusive here, and you can clearly hear Vytas speaking.

There are 9 full-length practices in the set, including Hips (my favorite, because I'm trying to learn the arm balances), Core, Inversions, Backbends, Twisting, Gentle Balance, Intermediate Balance, Advanced Class (this is a 30 minute meditation) and Strong. There are also 3 Short and Sweet practices (so 12 altogether), so there are practices ranging from 20 minutes or so to an hour or more. Each practice has a separate teaching clip that covers extra instruction (in the 5-7 minute range).

The pace is ... not as slow as YW365, but not fast either. The poses are often quite strong, so I get a cardio effect, but it isn't because we are moving quickly -- does that make sense? I think the set is power yoga (but again -- not an expert!) and there is a decent amount of flow. The booklet says the set aims to emphasize the mind-body connection, if that helps any. I don't know what workshop-y is -- it's Vytas and 3 people. For most all the practices, Vytas is speaking, walking around, showing and correcting form. There are two women and a man of varying levels doing the practice. Vytas takes part in the Advanced practice and does all the Short and Sweet practices on his own.

I hope that helps -- if not, keep trying and I'll try to answer your questions.

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Old 02-04-14, 02:07 PM  
herya

Thank you, that's very helpful! By "workshopy" I meant if there's a lot of start-and-stop instruction to explain the poses and stages of getting into them in great detail (as opposed to a flow based class).
It sounds great actually and I'll put it on my list to check when it's officially out.
Old 02-04-14, 02:35 PM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBecca View Post
I can try -- like I said earlier, I'm not a yoga expert.

There is music, it's low, very similar to the music in UY. Nothing intrusive here, and you can clearly hear Vytas speaking.

There are 9 full-length practices in the set, including Hips (my favorite, because I'm trying to learn the arm balances), Core, Inversions, Backbends, Twisting, Gentle Balance, Intermediate Balance, Advanced Class (this is a 30 minute meditation) and Strong. There are also 3 Short and Sweet practices (so 12 altogether), so there are practices ranging from 20 minutes or so to an hour or more. Each practice has a separate teaching clip that covers extra instruction (in the 5-7 minute range).

The pace is ... not as slow as YW365, but not fast either. The poses are often quite strong, so I get a cardio effect, but it isn't because we are moving quickly -- does that make sense? I think the set is power yoga (but again -- not an expert!) and there is a decent amount of flow. The booklet says the set aims to emphasize the mind-body connection, if that helps any. I don't know what workshop-y is -- it's Vytas and 3 people. For most all the practices, Vytas is speaking, walking around, showing and correcting form. There are two women and a man of varying levels doing the practice. Vytas takes part in the Advanced practice and does all the Short and Sweet practices on his own.

I hope that helps -- if not, keep trying and I'll try to answer your questions.
This sums it up very well, I have the DVR copies, until the set comes.
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 01:43 PM  
MamaBecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
Thank you, that's very helpful! By "workshopy" I meant if there's a lot of start-and-stop instruction to explain the poses and stages of getting into them in great detail (as opposed to a flow based class).
It sounds great actually and I'll put it on my list to check when it's officially out.
Ah, thanks! I learned something, as I usually do here. I would say the practices are not at all workshopy, but the teaching clips are. The practices are flow based.

I hope you enjoy the set!

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Old 02-06-14, 06:39 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Did anyone order these but not get an invoice? I did a preorder but never got confirmation. Thanks

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 04:48 PM  
jhsimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Did anyone order these but not get an invoice? I did a preorder but never got confirmation. Thanks
Yes, When I ordered last year. I sent an e-mail to Udaya a few days after the order was placed and received a reply that my order was received. I'd recommend you do the same if you need assurance.

You may also want to see if the opportunity to access the video on-line is possible. I know they were accommodating those of us who pre-ordered last year hoping to have the set by December.
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 06:20 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsimpson View Post
Yes, When I ordered last year. I sent an e-mail to Udaya a few days after the order was placed and received a reply that my order was received. I'd recommend you do the same if you need assurance.

You may also want to see if the opportunity to access the video on-line is possible. I know they were accommodating those of us who pre-ordered last year hoping to have the set by December.
Thank you. I just assumed it didn't go through. I emailed them.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deepen your practice, udaya.com, vytas, vytas baskauskas