Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-18, 10:25 AM  
Libby

Workout videos for someone with Rheumatoid Arthritis

My sister has RA but it has gotten a lot better since she retired from a very stress filled job. She is doing Leslie Sansone workouts in the mornings now. But that is all she does. Is there anything else that she could do that wouldn't irritate her RA and would be beneficial to her? Classical Stretch? She would prefer a DVD. She doesn't do live streaming.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 08:38 PM  
bex

I have RA, and 10 years ago I was recovering from a stressful job which was painful and exhausting.

When the pain was at its worst, I found beginner Pilates workouts to be helpful because they're slow, controlled and move the joints thruogh the full range of motion. I believe they were the start of my recovery. Specifically I started with this one: Stott Basic Pilates

At the time I didn't know about Classical Stretch but I would recommend those as well, for the same reason.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 08:21 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi Libby, I am finding Classical Stretch to be very helpful. Season 12 is the gentlest. Essentrics also has a Pain Relief Workouts DVD set - link.

Essentrics also has a quiz to help you determine which workouts will be helpful for your specific concerns - here is the link to that.

There are some free mini workouts on Youtube so your sister can get a flavor of what Essentrics/Classical Stretch is all about.

I second Bex's suggestion for gentle Pilates. Pilates with a mini ball is good. I need to avoid anything with planks though.

On bad days I rely on restorative yoga. Rodney Yee has a wonderful gentle video, Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief.

Appropriate weight training and cardio are so important to keep the muscles around the joints strong and keep blood and lymph flowing. Margaret Richard is easy on the joints, and she's having big sales. For cardio I love Bellyfit. You don't have to stream those - you purchase the videos and can download them. I have them all on my laptop.

I wish your sister all the best.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 11:49 AM  
starbelly

Would she try Qi Gong? I have found it to be very helpful in easing joint pain and increasing mobility. Lee Holden's videos are filmed in beautiful location and his instruction is impeccable. His DVDs are available on Amazon, but they are also sold by the publisher at ymaa.com. There is a sale of 40% off two or more DVDs until 24 May. He has 6 videos on the site; I have all of them and use them regularly.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 11:49 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I would also recommend classical stretch. Also, believe it or not, Tracy Anderson, but maybe not right now. I have mild RA and tracy works for me (and some others on the TA FB page) something about working the smaller muscles rather than focusing on the larger muscles seems to make it doable. I suspect many barre workouts would work.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 12:36 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
Would she try Qi Gong? I have found it to be very helpful in easing joint pain and increasing mobility. Lee Holden's videos are filmed in beautiful location and his instruction is impeccable. His DVDs are available on Amazon, but they are also sold by the publisher at ymaa.com. There is a sale of 40% off two or more DVDs until 24 May. He has 6 videos on the site; I have all of them and use them regularly.
Yes! Can't believe I overlooked him. Such feel good routines and they help calm stress; stress causes RA flare ups.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote