Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-17, 07:09 AM  
hollymarie

Does Yoga Qualify as an Aerobic Workout?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/w...c-workout.html

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 08:54 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Read the comments; they are interesting.

Yoga as cardio workout is not for me. Rapid-fire changes from posture to posture means that my form suffers and I get injured. If other people can keep good form while doing fast paced yoga, that's great; I can't. I don't expect yoga to provide every element I am looking for in workouts. It provides strength, balance, and flexibility, and that's a LOT. For cardio, I hop on my bicycle or the elliptical at the gym.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 08:57 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I love yoga. I do everything better when I do yoga regularly. But it is not a cardio exercise for me, not even the "cardio yoga". If someone does low intensity cardio all the time, it could be though. But I prefer higher intensity for my cardio.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 10:37 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Read the comments; they are interesting.

Yoga as cardio workout is not for me. Rapid-fire changes from posture to posture means that my form suffers and I get injured. If other people can keep good form while doing fast paced yoga, that's great; I can't. I don't expect yoga to provide every element I am looking for in workouts. It provides strength, balance, and flexibility, and that's a LOT. For cardio, I hop on my bicycle or the elliptical at the gym.
Yes! I think fast flowing yoga is a recipe for injury especially for newbies and anyone who has chronic issues.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 10:43 AM  
bubbles76

I certainly sweat during yoga, but I wouldn't call it an aerobic workout. At least, not for me. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist? I don't know, but I look at yoga for more flexibility, strength, balance, and stress relief.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 11:03 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I certainly sweat during yoga, but I wouldn't call it an aerobic workout. At least, not for me. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist? I don't know, but I look at yoga for more flexibility, strength, balance, and stress relief.
My feelings exactly.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 11:06 AM  
PhyllisG

A teacher that I had in India would instruct us to do as many sun salutations as you could in a certain amount of minutes. That was the warm up and it moved fast. Claimed that was the aerobic part of the practice. Don't know how valid that claim is but it definitely got your heart rate up.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 05:30 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

May I offer a different perspective? The NYT article says "Aerobic activity, [is] characterized by an elevated heart rate and increase in the body’s use of oxygen, ..." I personally have experienced a noticeable improvement in my aerobic capacity when focusing on yoga. I lived a very fast-paced, high-stress life for many years. Now I know I was breathing shallowly, short, and rapid. Once I started yoga (slow paced hatha yoga holding a pose for 3-6 breaths), I learned how to breathe deeper and more slowly. That improved my breathing all around, it gave me more lung capacity and gave me more energy. Yes, I agree my yoga practice is not an aerobic workout in the current definition of the term, but yet it increased my aerobic capacity significantly. I didn't have to "train" for longer hikes, it came naturally. Just my experience!
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-17, 06:28 PM  
zippity

The standing section of Bikram yoga is a cardio workout: While the movements are very slow, the muscular effort required to hold a posture in a 105F keeps my hear rate well into the cardio zone. Often I struggle to maintain breath composure, and sometimes even have to take a knee for thirty seconds to regain control.

Bikram yoga is definitely not for everyone though; this post is not intended as a recommendation.
Old 02-13-17, 08:33 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I agree with points that Zippity and FirmDancer made, actually. I was probably being too narrow about what constitutes "yoga as cardio". For me I was thinking of practices like UY Cardio, which is quite rapid. FirmDancer and Zippity are right that practices with long holds can one's heart rate. I've done Bikram and it did raise my heart rate because of the heat and the long holding of poses (30 seconds for each pose if I recall correctly, then you do it again, or do it on the opposite side). I am a lot more comfortable doing those kinds of practices than the rapid-fire vinyasa practices.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote