Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-16, 01:54 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Persistent Soreness & Stiffness?

Opinions - is this (persistent soreness and stiffness) "normal" for an almost 60 year old? I am very stiff and sore every day, all over. I do exercise every day - walking, stretching, & barre workouts, but nothing extreme.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 02:15 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Opinions - is this (persistent soreness and stiffness) "normal" for an almost 60 year old? I am very stiff and sore every day, all over. I do exercise every day - walking, stretching, & barre workouts, but nothing extreme.

Carol
I don't think persistent soreness and stiffness is "normal" given your age and the type and level of exercise you describe. I'm 60 myself, and while I have bad knees, I am not stiff and sore all over every day. I get a lot of exercise--strength training, cycling, yoga, tai chi, walking/hiking--but nothing extreme.

Talk to your doctor about this, since you describe your symptoms as "persistent". If your stiffness and soreness are symptomatic of something like fibromyalgia, you'd certainly want to address it. And if the symptoms are not a sign of anything serious, they are also not going away. I'd want to get to the bottom of it.

Best wishes on finding an answer to this.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 02:48 PM  
Sollamyn

Do you feel stiff and sore all day long? I have some arthritis in various places, but after I get out of bed and walk around and do my stretches, I feel a lot better. I also take pain medication, so there's that, too.

I'm with Betsy--it's better to get a diagnosis from your doctor.

Donna
Old 06-10-16, 04:18 PM  
meg39

Do you take any medications, such as a statin, that have side effects? I know stiff joints and muscles can be a result of several medicines.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 04:44 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39 View Post
Do you take any medications, such as a statin, that have side effects? I know stiff joints and muscles can be a result of several medicines.
Oh my, I do take a statin, but have been on it for years. Hmm?

Carol
Old 06-10-16, 04:51 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

To add a little information, I am on Celebrex for arthritis, and have been for years. My rheumatologist thinks I just have osteoarthritis and not a form of inflammatory arthritis, although there have been some things over the years that make him wonder from time to time. Last year at my yearly checkup I mentioned the stiffness and soreness, and he basically poo-pooed me since my range of motion is so good.

I think I will talk this over with my General Practitioner - she's a more holistic type doctor and will spend more time with me than the rheumatologist will.

I don't think it's normal to hurt all the time. I sat down at the piano to practice a while ago, and after about 30 minutes when I got up to get a drink I was hobbling. That can't be normal for an almost 60 year old.

Carol
Old 06-10-16, 05:14 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I took statins for over 10 years before I had a problem with them. Now I can't take any of them without horrific side effects. I hope it's something easy to figure out for you, like going off a pill.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 05:39 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Do you do any fascia work? I used to really struggle with stiffness (I'm 44.) I would stretch and then tighten right back up. MELT method has helped a lot.

But yeah, see the doc. Could it maybe be fibromyalgia (sp?)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 06:43 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thanks, all. I have an appointment with my General Practitioner on Monday morning - she had a last minute cancellation. Hopefully she will have some ideas and suggestions. This hasn't been fun.

Carol
Old 06-11-16, 06:16 AM  
meg39

It is suggested taking Co Q10 if you take a statin drug. I take it in the morning and the statin in the evening. I have had problems with my statin drugs in that they cause tremendous soreness in my body. Crestor seems to be ok. If you think it's your statin you can always try another brand. Trial and error. I would love not to take a statin but my cholesterol is sky high due to family history and another medicine I'm taking, plus my mother had a massive stroke at age 57 so I'm not taking any chances.

Good luck with your doctor on Monday!
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, osteoarthritis