Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-12, 12:00 PM  
workoutjunkie

Best gliding discs for puzzle mats?

I've been using paper plates which work just fine, but since I'm going to pre-order XTRAIN, I was wondering how Cathe's gliding discs work on puzzle mats. Or if there are others that work better. Thanks!

Last edited by workoutjunkie; 07-11-12 at 12:06 PM. Reason: I apparently don't know how to spell discs...
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 12:17 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by workoutjunkie View Post
I've been using paper plates which work just fine, but since I'm going to pre-order XTRAIN, I was wondering how Cathe's gliding discs work on puzzle mats. Or if there are others that work better. Thanks!
I have puzzle mats and don't like how the gliding discs work on them (I have both Cathe's and Mindy's). It's been a while since I tried using them directly on the mats, but IIRC they don't glide very well at all (they're just too hard to push on them).

I bought a 5' X 8' rug just for the gliding discs. I roll it up and lean it against a wall when I'm not using gliding discs and unroll it on top of the mats when I am going to use gliding discs. It works great and the rug is big enough to do anything else that doesn't include the discs.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 12:33 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I have puzzle mats and don't like how the gliding discs work on them (I have both Cathe's and Mindy's). It's been a while since I tried using them directly on the mats, but IIRC they don't glide very well at all (they're just too hard to push on them).

I bought a 5' X 8' rug just for the gliding discs. I roll it up and lean it against a wall when I'm not using gliding discs and unroll it on top of the mats when I am going to use gliding discs. It works great and the rug is big enough to do anything else that doesn't include the discs.
Good to know Cathe's and Mindy's discs don't work very well on puzzle mats. But the rug is a great idea. Thanks so much for your input!
Old 07-11-12, 12:35 PM  
Breezy Trousers

You might check on e-bay to see if you can find a pair of Jane Fonda's Ultra Sliders/ultrasliders. I think a VF'er posted that these work on puzzle mats. I don't have puzzle mats but prefer these sliding discs to Mindy's & Cathe's anyway. Problem is, they've been discontinued and are hard to find.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 12:45 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
You might check on e-bay to see if you can find a pair of Jane Fonda's Ultra Sliders/ultrasliders. I think a VF'er posted that these work on puzzle mats. I don't have puzzle mats but prefer these sliding discs to Mindy's & Cathe's anyway. Problem is, they've been discontinued and are hard to find.
Why must all the good "stuff" be discontinued? lol
Thanks, I'll see if I can find some!
Old 07-11-12, 12:53 PM  
Castella

I think it depends on your mats. I use those furniture sliders as gliding disks.

With the last set of cheapie mats that I had (bought at a home improvement store), I used a rug for gliding.

Then I bought a complete set of mats from Great Mats, and the mats are actually slippery, which I couldn't tell at all from the picture or description or customer reviews. I can use gliders on them without a rug or anything. I would much rather have mats that offer at least a modicum of traction, and use a rug for gliding, since I don't glide all that often, but I do need to be able to do planks and pushups and lunges and so forth regularly without sliding all over the place.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 01:04 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I also use carpet remnant on my puzzle mats. Otherwise, my gliding discs don't glide very well.
Old 07-11-12, 01:08 PM  
marmact

Actually, I haven't had any problems with Cathe's gliders on puzzle mats (I asked around a lot before buying them, because I was using paper plates for a long time, too, and they stunk on the mats) but they do work a lot better (are more slippery) with a carpet remnant on top.
Old 07-11-12, 01:17 PM  
upperwside

http://www.frontgate.com/marion-outd...e=&listIndex=9

This is the carpet i use (the spanish tile pattern i have is no longer on the site.. but this is the same carpet just not the pattern) for gliding disks over my puzzle mats. I bought others and the gilde was not smooth. The Frontgate carpet is on the expensive side.. but you can clean it, it rolls up small and it is very thin and soft and will NOT slip on the puzzle mats. The glide is almost the same as it is on my wood floors as the carpet is so smooth. I have tried the disks on every type of carpet and nothing is like this. The carpet is also good to do your workouts on over the puzzle mat for kickboxing and other types of workouts.. i use it a lot and it cleans and dry's easily.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 01:41 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
http://www.frontgate.com/marion-outd...e=&listIndex=9

This is the carpet i use (the spanish tile pattern i have is no longer on the site.. but this is the same carpet just not the pattern) for gliding disks over my puzzle mats. I bought others and the gilde was not smooth. The Frontgate carpet is on the expensive side.. but you can clean it, it rolls up small and it is very thin and soft and will NOT slip on the puzzle mats. The glide is almost the same as it is on my wood floors as the carpet is so smooth. I have tried the disks on every type of carpet and nothing is like this. The carpet is also good to do your workouts on over the puzzle mat for kickboxing and other types of workouts.. i use it a lot and it cleans and dry's easily.
Wow! That is really nice! I paid under $20 for a very short-pile indoor/outdoor remnant that is really slippery and works well with the gliders. My only complaint is it doesn't have any backing, so it sometimes slides a little. We looked at much nicer carpets, but I know I won't want to glide on anything that nice, LOL.

Tags
gliding, gliding discs