Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-12, 03:10 PM  
calendria

core/strenght training/barre/etc for beginners

what would you recommend for beginners. EXTREME beginners.

I have always been, by physical strenght, weaker than most women so I am having a hard time finding a core training workout or strenght training etc that I can finish and go back for more, other than classical stretch. or choose your level pilates.

any ideas here? exhale is too hard for me. even exhale body sculpt WAY too hard.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:23 PM  
SpiritSong

Barre3. Excellent workout and core/ab work is done on the ball or in bridge, not in a C-curve. The instructor is super sweet and gives a lot of form tips.
Old 07-11-12, 03:31 PM  
alisoncooks

Hi Calendria~
I'm back to a beginner level right now and feeling very weak (most of my workouts are too difficult for me.)

Here are the workouts I am currently using (and which don't wipe me out):
Do More Pilates Standing (Bea Wood & Niece Peceka) - especially the Bea Wood segment
Joel Harper workouts
Winsor Bun & Thigh Sculpting
Bar Method Change Your Body
Yoga for Life ~ Kurt Johnsen

*I do have a lot of Horizontal Conditioning -- cause I've been on a buying bender lately -- but I can't do ANY OF IT. I just got Getting Started in today's mail, so my Goal is to add a 10 minute segment to my workout, 3x a week.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:44 PM  
momof10

Not to high jack this thread, but to Alison. What you can do with your 101s is just pick one and then do 10 minutes of that, skip a day and do that again and then eventually keep going a few more minutes everyday you do it. Don't do it everyday, though. I would say every other day. It might seem hard and have some dread, but I guarantee if you stick to it, you will see significant gains in your entire body. You will get stronger for sure. Before you know it, you will be able to do the whole workout and feel so accomplished.

Calendria - I can give you the same advice. Any of the ones you have you could do the same thing. You could start out by doing planks. Try doing 30 seconds and work up until you can do it for 2 minutes. Doing plank in push up position is easier than doing them on your elbows, for me anyways. You can do that everyday.

Cheryl

Last edited by momof10; 07-11-12 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Typo
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 04:52 PM  
calendria

okay, I think for now I'll do that. on one day I'll do classical stretch and another day I'll just do 10min of my harder core work types of things

and next month I think I might get barre3. I really like the idea of doing ab work on that kind of ball.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 05:01 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
okay, I think for now I'll do that. on one day I'll do classical stretch and another day I'll just do 10min of my harder core work types of things

and next month I think I might get barre3. I really like the idea of doing ab work on that kind of ball.
FWIW, I bought my Fitball off Amazon and I use it on all my ab segments on any dvd now. I think it's quite helpful (use it with Bar Method, some pilates, etc).
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre for beginners, beginner, beginner strength, beginners