Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-07-20, 07:54 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

PP - Fingers crossed for hubby at the job fair! My friend just had an operation due to a hole in her retina. The procedure was fairly quick and painless. Then, she had to keep her head bowed for a week or so, but could still function OK.

SB - Yup, gloomy here too. As for a monthly price for streaming, I wouldn't do it unless they offered a heck of a lot of variety and different kinds of workouts.

Yesterday: Total body weights with Jenny Ford
Today: Athletic step - Amy B

Yesterday, I started with a Michelle Dozois workout, but had to eject because I hated it. That gave me pause, because a few hours earlier I had just pre-ordered her latest set. I hope that goes well!!
Old 01-08-20, 10:14 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I pushed myself and went for a 50 minute outdoor walk. It actually felt great once I got out there and started moving. I plan to push myself and do another walk today. I will try and do some weights too. I need to be more consistent with that too.

PENGUIN, glad you found a workout you enjoyed. I hope things went well for hubby at the job fair. That's sweet of you to offer to accompany your mom on her eye dr appt. Is a hole in her retina similar to a detached or torn retina?

NORA, nice workouts. I ordered and received Michelle's new workout set but haven't tried them yet. Maybe today...

Waves to all. Have a great day everyone!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 10:58 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Nora, I'm glad to hear your friend is doing well. Uh, oh, on the DVD purchase. I do find that I don't always love everything an instructor puts out, so hopefully you will enjoy the new workouts.

SB, my understanding is that a hole is a small detachments but doesn't necessarily lead to vision loss. No one has every described one of my detachments as a hole, but a hole is pretty much a hole, right? They didn't make her go immediately so I don't think its a big problem, just something different from last year that needs to be checked out.

I didn't get to my workout earlier so I did it just now, hopefully I'll sleep well. My legs have been really stiff and sore, walking funny-sore, all day so I did an easy cardio to loosen them up. CocoLime's 30m Low Impact cardio for people with Fibromyalgia.

Tomorrow is our first Knitting Meeting of the new year! Afterwards my friend and I are going to volunteer, serving a meal to a classroom, then go to lunch ourselves. It will be nice to see everyone and catch up.

The job fair didn't go well, it wasn't what Hubby was told, the manufacturing plant took his information and put him in a job pool in case someone wants to hire him in the future. They said it could take up to 3 months just to get the information in.

I've been working on a sweater for myself, and I'm quite pleased with how its turning out; I'm already planning another! https://ravel.me/patchworkpenguin/etz2v9

Stay warm!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 10:27 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did Joyce Vedral's Top Shape Now or Never dvd, both upper and lower body. Splits don't work for me, I'll do upper and then who knows when I'll do the lower portion and vice versa. So I prefer doing total body weight training. It was a good workout, I went as heavy as I could and felt it.
Then a little later I went for a 38 minute walk. It was very windy and felt much colder than it was. Today is sunny but cold so not sure if I'll do an outdoor walk or maybe explore more of the Exhale on Demand before I cancel it.

PENGUIN, I hope the workout helped your sore legs. Sorry the job fair wasn't what hubby was expecting. The sweater looks so cute! I hope you enjoy the Knitting Meeting.

Old 01-09-20, 11:22 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Happy New Year!

I've struggled to get myself on track workout-wise. I've tended to do parts of Les Mills Hip Hop Vols 2 & 3 (they are 16 mins. each) over the last week or two when I needed steps to make it to 250/hour with my Fitbit.

Yesterday was the first day that I got in real exercise when I walked 2.3 miles in 58 minutes with my friend with the fairly slow dog. We took a different route than usual and ended up going up a road that was a loooong uphill stretch, and I really had to push myself during that part, so at least some of it was challenging.

I gained about 10 lbs from Nov to the new year (I wasn't logging with Lose It! regularly) and I decided to join Noom to jumpstart my weight loss for the new year. I have a couple of friends who lost major weight with Noom and they kept talking about the motivating articles that it provides, so I decided to give it a whirl, mostly because I was curious about the articles since the program is based on psychology. I'm in the 14-day trial period (that I paid $10 for), but I don't think that I'm going to stick with it. I prefer Lose It! because logging your food and exercise is soooomuch easier, it's a lot cheaper, it tells you more about your macros (Noom gives you a 1,200 calorie a day limit and that's it), and a lot of the information that Noom has provided so far is stuff that I already know. I think that Noom is just not compatible with what motivates me. I guess it's best to learn that before you pay more. I notice that when I tried to discontinue with the 14-day trial on the app last night, it wasn't clear how to do that, so I'll have to look online today. I hope it's not going to be a hassle to discontinue.

Other than the food part, I'd like to get back on track with exercising. I've tended to only focus on cardio for a while, so I'd like to figure out how to reincorporate weights into my workouts. I'm thinking that I'd like to do some cardio with light weights to start off. I know that AWT is good for this. I tried to do a search (with the search function here) to get some workout ideas but the word "cardio" is not searchable because it's too common. I'll have to look through my workouts and see if I have any obvious options. Before I try to get into heavier weights, it seems that cardio with light weights could be a helpful option.

Well work-wise things are not as hectic. During our January-term I'm teaching a course where all my students are off doing internships, so they'll have to turn in mostly brief reflection papers to me electronically and I'll have to evaluate them electronically. There's a lot of administrative stuff that I need to take care of in the coming days, so it's nice to have a bit of a break from classroom preparation for a few weeks. I did teach class the last two days, but it was just some basic conversational travel Spanish for a co-worker who is embarking on a trip to Spain today with a large group of students, and that was fun.

SB - I know how you mean about not feeling so motivated to work out, and the cold, gloomy weather certainly doesn't help! But, you've always done a good job of keeping up with you walks, and I'm sure that you'll get back to them as the weather permits. I didn't realize that Exhale has an on demand service. I'll have to check that out (I'll have look, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't sign up at this point; I'm barely working out these days ). ETA: just saw your last post. Glad you got in a JV and a walk.

Penguin - So sorry to hear about your DH being laid off! I'll add y'all to my prayers. I hope that something works out for him soon. In the meantime, you deserve applause for keeping up so well with your workouts!

Nora - Good job keeping up with your workouts, too! I'm always hesitant to throw out food; I tell myself that I'll just eat it little by little, but that never works. In spite of the fact that I told my neighbor that I was trying to eat well/better over the holidays, she kept bringing over high-calorie food (cookies or half of a pudding pie) that her mom had prepared that her family didn't want. I finally just started throwing it away. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Waves to All!
Old 01-09-20, 05:40 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, I hope the weather holds out and you get to enjoy a walk, even if it is chilly. We occasionally see someone literally running in shorts and a tee shirt while I'm wearing a big coat and I think they are nuts but they probably run everyday and are more acclimated to the weather than I am. I'm more likely to do UB and never get around to the LB.

Cambet, Thank you for the review and test trial of Noom. I've been curious about it but not curious enough to actually pay for it. LOL. I should be logging with LI also but I'm not. I haven't gained any weight but I haven't lost any either, and Dr, who I see next week is going to be disappointed in me. For me, exercising is easy, its the food that is so hard! I'm glad to hear work is giving you a break, I feel you needed one! Thank you for your prayers.

Today I did Fitness Blender's UB Superset workout with Fat Burning Cardio. I really liked this one. We did two UB exercises followed by one minute of cardio, repeat then on to the next set. It was fun, I got to pyramid the weights and I liked that the cardio was incorporated into the workout not in the beginning or end. More fun that way.

Hubby is fixing dinner tonight! He's very good with eggs and other breakfast foods while I'm better with casseroles and crockpots

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 10:06 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

PP - I like the colours in your sweater. Good for you! I have zero talent in that area, but I wish I could do it. I'm sorry that the job fair didn't work out great for your hubby.

Cambet - nice to see you back. I've heard about Noom, but I do well with LI, so if it ain't broke....

SB - I've been reading the michelle D. reviews for her new set and it doesn't bode well for us, I fear! I received my set today.

Yesterday: Sculpt from the BBLift series.
Today: I started with Amy B but abandoned that high impact thing in favour of a marching one on J. Ford's Check-out workout DVD.
Old 01-09-20, 10:38 PM  
Tammie M

Hi everyone! Here are my first workouts of the new year. We went to visit DS and DIL during the first part of the year. I'm so glad he is back home now! They live about 13 hours from us when driving. I tend to get a little carsick so this is tough trip for me to take. I like it better when we split the travel into 2 days but DH likes to do it in 1 day. DH was starting to get sick on our trip home. I think he has a really bad cold but his coughing worries me. And of course he is too macho to go to the doctor. I ordered a few new dvds in Mary's sale. One of them was the Barlates Pilates Ring Series. I had done one of Linda's workouts using the pilates ring and I liked it. It was tough but doable. After Monday's workout, I now think Linda is a sadist with that pilates ring. I've never had much DOMS with her other workouts. That is not the case with Monday's workout. I'm still suffering. The last time I had this much DOMS was when I first started working out with heavier weights and did Cathe's MIS. That was about 25 years ago. I could barely walk on Tuesday and Wednesday. Today is better but it is still tough. My quads are on fire. I'm trying to keep moving with lighter workouts. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. On a side note, I've been doing a lot of CS workouts. I just read that Miranda is now 70. Wow! I was totally surprised. She is in fantastic shape.

Monday (1/6) - Barlates Pilates Ring Series: Pilates Ring Barre + Classical Stretch Season 10: 1002
Tuesday (1/7) - Petra Kolber PK Grooves: Doable Dance
Wednesday (1/8) - Barlates Express Bounce Series: Kickbox + Sarah Powers Insight Yoga: Heaven - Ground Support: Breathing Into the Hara
Thursday (1/9) - Petra Kolber Liquid Grooves

Penguin, nice variety with your workouts. I am so sorry to hear about your hubby's job. Hopefully he can find another manufacturing job quickly. Hopefully, your mom's eye condition is not too serious. I just had a neighbor who had eye surgery. She had to keep her head bowed down for at least a week. It looked uncomfortable to me but I think her sight is ok now. You are very talented - that is a very nice sweater!

Cambet, I'm glad your new semester will be less stressful. You need a break! Good job restarting your workout routine. I just started using Lose It! again. I stopped before our Austria/Germany trip. We ate and drank so much on that trip! The food was wonderful! I gained weight from the trip and from the holidays. I am trying to get back on track with eating better. DH wants to loose weight also so he wanted to start eating better. I told him that meant more vegetables and fruit. And it included smaller portions. We are on day 3 of trying to eat better and he is not happy. He is craving big hamburgers and french fries.

Nora, I'm with you on the streaming. Nice workouts. You always pick fun workouts. I used to enjoy Michelle's workouts until she went the advanced hiit/drills route. Hopefully her new ones will not be extreme. I actually liked the heel clicking move in IMAX 4. I was very wary of it but I tried one. It wasn't as bad as it looked.

SB, good job maintaining your walks in the cold weather and with your dvd workouts. I try to plan a week rotation at a time so it is easier to include one set of split workouts into it. It sounds like you have been enjoying the Exhale on Demand trial. $20/ month is expensive though!

Waves to all!
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 10:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

I had a lot of errands and chores yesterday that needed to get done and by the time I finished everything I had lost my workout mojo. I probably should have done it first before all my other activities. I do plan to walk today, it's supposed to get near 50 degrees. In fact the whole weekend is supposed to be record breaking high temps but I work Saturday and Sunday so not sure if I'll be able to take advantage of that.

CAMBET, good to see you checking in. I love hill walks for really pushing myself. I don't know if you have or like SS or Sin6 but they're good for getting cardio and light weights into your routine. I often shorten them to make them work for me, sometimes I cut out the floor work or skip exercises, they are well chaptered. I think Jessica Smith has workouts that combine cardio with lights weights too, either in some of her walking workouts or circuit workouts.
I think it's a good way to get back into weight training and help with burning calories too. I haven't gained specifically over the holidays but my weight has been slowly creeping up over the past couple of years. It's definitely a constant battle.

PENGUIN, nice job with the fitness blender workout. We see people, usually men or teenage boys, just walking around in the stores or on the street in shorts. They're not even exercising and it's in the 30s!! I don't get it.

NORA, nice workouts. Yeah, I've been reading the reviews on Michelle's new set too .

TAMMIE, very nice workout week. I'm glad DS is home too but I could never do a 13 hour car trip in one day . Hope your DH feels better soon. I enjoy pilates ring workouts so I ran to my shelf and sure enough I have Linda's Barlates Pilates Ring Series. I pulled it off the shelf to try soon. I was actually happy to read about the DOMS even though I'm sorry you've been suffering for days with it. I like getting DOMS from a workout but yours does sound a little too much. I still have some mild DOMS from my JV workout the other day.
Have you noticed any results from your consistent use of CS? I agree Miranda looks wonderful.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 01-11-20, 11:20 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday was a very nice 47 minute walk. I was out late last night with friends and wasn't going to workout today because I'm tired and have work this afternoon. But DS called me a little while ago and asked if I wanted to walk so I couldn't say no. We'll be going around noon hopefully and it's in the 60s!!!today so I'm sure it will be good for me.