Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-05, 03:56 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Glad to hear from so many VFers! Just communicating is the main thing. My written Hebrew has a strange English quality to it, & some of my Russian born students have copied odd looking words from my lectures only to discover that the words aren't in the dictionary .

I'll be happy to discuss videos in Hebrew. Please visit me! Two Hebrew speaking friends of mine come over for yoga/pilates/stretching once a week & they have trouble with the imagery the instructors use - they take it very literally. Actually these videos would be great in Italian (not that I would understand them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya
...Do you happen to know whether there were any threads on various customs and cultures of exercising in different countries?
There was one & it was interesting, but I'm not sure how to search for it. There was also a discussion of walking in Europe vs. North America.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 04:16 PM  
Elena
VF Supporter

Languages

Well, my first language is Russian as well. But I had been living in the US for nearly 17 years and married to an American, therefore it is very easy for me switch back and forth between English and Russian.

Elena
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 05:18 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone,

Actually, discussing a known topic in a foreign language is a great way to improve because you already know the subject in one language so inferences you may make in the foreign language will be easier to understand.

I have a degree in EFL from Israel, actually and now I'm teaching Hebrew in the US. By the way, Jacqi, I think we met. Did you live in Haifa and have a little boy named Ziv and then you gave birth to a daughter? Sorry if this isn't you, but I figure, what are the chances of someone named Jacqi writing from Haifa that isn't the Jacqi that I met.

Before moving and living in Israel for many years I was always so fascinated with people who came from different countries and learned another language. Now I'm one of them and I see now that there are many more here at VF than I ever imagined. Cool! Great thread, Jacqi.

Linda
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 05:32 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim77
I am not a native speaker either, I am from Hungary, currently living in Belgium.
I have never posted before so thank you for the encouragement
Welcome, Kim. Hope to see you posting more.

Someone asked about discussions of fitness practices in different countries. I could only find these two. Hope you enjoy them.

Europe info

North Americans in Europe

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 12:07 AM  
sund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Okay, the "but" conversation only arose between me and someone else in the context if two self-professed grammar nerds engaging in friendly debate I really hope it did not offend anyone.
Joanna, I was not pointing you out at all. I'm a grammar person myself, however not in english. The thread was closed for another reason.
sund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 02:20 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL
...By the way, Jacqi, I think we met. Did you live in Haifa and have a little boy named Ziv and then you gave birth to a daughter? Sorry if this isn't you, but I figure, what are the chances of someone named Jacqi writing from Haifa that isn't the Jacqi that I met.
I've never met another English speaking Jacqi in Haifa. I do have a boy & a girl, but my boy's name isn't Ziv. I think we'll sort this out by pm .
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 04:09 AM  
Fitness Mouse
VF Supporter

My first language is Dutch, spend a year as a foreign exchange student in Missouri (15 years ago) so my (US) English is fairly decent. (I think)

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Fitness Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:40 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribalta
Hi all;

English is my third language (I don't know if I can say my third language as my knowledges are very basic -better will use almost my thirs language) and I have posted sometimes but (as said sheepla) when I had nerve to posting and it is not frecuently.

Also when I am typing in English I always think in Spanish or Czech and the results are terribles because I don't understand my English phrases and due to can't pretend that anyone understand me. wow-like now do you understand anyone?

BTW I am happy to can be there with you and can learning so much from you. Thank you.
I read something a while back, about learning another language, that has always stuck in my mind....the idea of communication is not to speak (or write) it perfectly, but to be understood, and I understand everyone on this thread perfectly.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:51 AM  
Aline

English is my first spoken language but I attended French public schools from kindergarten through 11th grade. So there's probably a lot of English/American literature and history etc. that I'm unfamiliar with. I'm sure some French-isms creep into my posts once in a while but I'm not too worried about those (nor the many typos I make either).

I like what you said about the goal being to be understood rather than perfect.
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:56 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I've had this experience in reverse: living in a Spanish speaking country with English as a primary language. It's scary. We're not very adept linguists in the United States and I'm always a little humbled by the skill with which our VFers with other primary languages are able to communicate in English.

I still feel like a toddler in Spanish. Wouldn't dream of trying to post to a Spanish Internet board.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introductions