Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-20, 07:00 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

When a silly moment of vidiocy goes bad...

I have to vent. I have been looking for a chair to use for yoga and Essentrics. Something stable for the barre work, with maybe a lightly padded seat so I don't slide around. I was in Marshall's Home Goods today, looking for something else, when I saw two folding chairs that seemed perfect. Padded and very sturdy. They didn't have arms, but there was a part of the frame near the back that was perfect for chair pushups or diagonal planks.

Now the vidiocy moment was me deciding if I should buy both. I only needed one, but I couldn't leave the other one all alone, so I picked them both up and headed out

I stopped in the snack aisle, one chair under each arm, and two employees asked if I needed help. "No, thanks" I said with a smile, "just browsing". Well, they insisted on helping me carry the chairs. "No thanks" I said again, trying to peruse the cookies in peace. "We'll take the chairs", they insisted. "No thank you", I repeated. This went back and forth. I was no longer polite or patient and after 5 or 6 "no, thank yous" I wanted to yell, "Go away!!" (I didn't. I don't want to be rude)

I gave in. I handed one of the chairs to the saleswoman (who was petite like I am) and she tried to take the second. I told her I got it. Here's the punchline:

She said "It's too heavy for you".

I wanted to demonstrate how NOT heavy it was by bashing it over her head, but that's not very zen-like I did raise my voice, and the chair (with my fingertips) and snarled "You think this is heavy?"

There's more, but that's enough for now. I just had to share. I try to see humor in ridiculous things but I had had enough. They were relentless, didn't leave me alone, didn't listen to anything I said, and even though I don't get offended easily, they were insulting.

I don't know if I can enjoy my new chairs
Old 02-04-20, 07:18 PM  
bubbles76

Wow. I would have taken both chairs and left. I can see her possibly going overboard to help you carry it (who knows, maybe she and another employee were vying for that Employee of the Month parking spot), but to just say, "It's too heavy for you" is just WRONG. Did she at least say it with a smile or seem like she was truly trying to help?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:24 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Oh gosh no, no smile. But then again, I was seeing red, so I may have missed it
Old 02-04-20, 07:32 PM  
fanofladyvols

That's so bizarre...
If I were a bystander I would have had to ask why they wouldn't leave you alone?
I hope the chairs work out for you, at least!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 07:46 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

They were probably afraid you would hurt yourself and sue the store.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 08:48 PM  
Diana3271

I think there was an ulterior motive (trying to have a sense of humor here ) She actually wanted the chairs for herself. She was getting ready to clock out and was going to try to buy them before you finished looking at the cookies.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:21 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I think there was an ulterior motive (trying to have a sense of humor here ) She actually wanted the chairs for herself. She was getting ready to clock out and was going to try to buy them before you finished looking at the cookies.
You know, I didn't think of that lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:34 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I didn't even think of that! Thanks . I now wonder if maybe they just wanted to take the chairs off my hands so I can continue shopping unencumbered. It was just their methods. The other thing is they both spoke broken and accented English. I'm pretty sure they were from a part of the world where customer service and interactions are, shall we say, a little different than here. I've travelled in that region, so I speak from experience, and so I was trying to be patient, thinking there may have been a little cultural difference playing out.

I feel better. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be laughing about it.
Old 02-04-20, 09:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Louise, that is annoying! I thought you were going to tell me that the salesperson then went on to damage the chairs, so I'm glad at least that didn't happen.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 03:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

they were rude to you, in my humble opinion.

who knows, maybe they thought you were a mystery shopper, testing them on their customer service skills.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool yoga tricks