Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-20, 03:27 PM  
fanofladyvols

Leg placement in seated yoga...does it matter?

Hi!

I am wondering if it matters that I don't fully cross my legs when doing yoga while seated?

I have found slight discomfort in one of my knees if I cross my legs. I have tried to return to crossing them over the last month but the discomfort returns and distracts me.

If I place my legs with shins both on the floor (but still in close) I have no discomfort. It seems to work well for me

Will I miss out on some stretches if I don't ever cross my legs? Just wondering if it matters...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:46 PM  
sherry7899

Have you tried sitting on a folded blanket or putting a yoga block under each knee?

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think you got the right idea - modify the position to suit your comfort.

in Paul Grilley's lecture DVD, Anatomy for Yoga, he shows femur and hip differences in 2 different bone models. he also showed 3 of his students doing the same pose and how they each modified so that the pose would work for them. that was a clear message to me that everyone has a unique anatomy in performing a pose.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i think you got the right idea - modify the position to suit your comfort.

in Paul Grilley's lecture DVD, Anatomy for Yoga, he shows femur and hip differences in 2 different bone models. he also showed 3 of his students doing the same pose and how they each modified so that the pose would work for them. that was a clear message to me that everyone has a unique anatomy in performing a pose.
Agree 100%. We aren’t all built the same and you need to modify to suit your body and to be comfortable. Knee pain is not good!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 06:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Have you tried sitting on a folded blanket or putting a yoga block under each knee?
I will try the blanket idea Sherry, thanks! I was using my block for my hand for the other part of my stretch. I did try lifting my hips on a blanket. That didn't seem to make a difference...but I didn't think about resting my knees only on them.

Jeannine and Pam,...i was concerned the modification was going to cheat me out of the purpose of the stretches. Good to know I'm ok if Sherry's blanket idea doesn't help.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 01-05-20, 06:42 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I find it does help to sit up on something in that position, but..... I really like the philosophy of my live yoga teacher -- if it doesn't feel good, don't do it. Vague, true, but she really doesn't believe in doing a pose in "perfect position" because everyone's anatomy is different.
Old 01-05-20, 07:27 PM  
Lannette

I actually find that sitting on a half dome (flat surface up) is more helpful than a blanket. The half dome rolls to fit your flexibility I had never been able to do Kundalini Yoga daily because Easy Pose would eventually kill my hips and/or knees. A half dome changed all that.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 07:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

Lannette do you mean like sitting on a Bosu? Or is that a piece of yoga equipment?

Old 01-05-20, 08:09 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Lannette do you mean like sitting on a Bosu? Or is that a piece of yoga equipment?
I wrote a post in my blog about all the ways you can use half domes. You can find it HERE. I learned most of this during year one of Kay Bowman’s certification class. I’ve taken what she taught and run with it. Half domes are useful in a bunch of different ways.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 08:47 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks Lannette!

I haven't noticed those but I'm sure they're available. I do love fitness toys. In the meantime I think I can do those calf stretches on my BOSU.

Tags
yoga modifications