Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-19, 06:57 PM  
pgun3

My Thread Contribution

Well I have not worked out consistently for YEARS and I need to get back into it. I have been doing some JS and Leslie because I can do them, seem to be more my speed nowadays!

Today I did KCM Start Here one of the premixes. It was shorter then what i should have done but it's a start.

Any suggestions for helping me get more sleep at night so I can get up at 4am in the morning to do my workouts during the week? I will not workout after work since my feet are killing me by the end of the day. I have very high arches and I am fatter then I used to be so it stresses my feet being on them all day.

Oh and back to the sleep question is it normal to not sleep so well the older you get? I went to bed last week and laid there for 4.5 hours before I fell asleep! UGH
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 07:24 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Yeah, um, sleep. Not so fun as you get older. Hormones, etc. I struggle, in fact I'm in an insomnia loop right now.

Lots of sunshine during the day helps me...walks. It's hard when it's fall and gloomy.

Of course I'd tell you to do Essentrics to get back to working out . But, really, it's whatever you like to do. If you hate it, you won't do it.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 07:50 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Yeah, um, sleep. Not so fun as you get older. Hormones, etc. I struggle, in fact I'm in an insomnia loop right now.

Lots of sunshine during the day helps me...walks. It's hard when it's fall and gloomy.

Of course I'd tell you to do Essentrics to get back to working out . But, really, it's whatever you like to do. If you hate it, you won't do it.
I do have a lot of essentrics dvds, bought them and don't do them...maybe I should? LOL
Old 09-07-19, 08:02 PM  
cecififi

In my experience, depending on your age, if you are in peri-menopause or menopause, the loss of progesterone in your body (naturally decreases) can be the root cause of your sleeplessness. It was for me. I take a bio-identical hormone (progesterone - not progestin) to help with sleep issues. I sleep through the night and have since I started on it. Oil pulling at night can help with sleep too and so can changing your diet (dramatically decreasing carbs and getting rid of all refined sugar). Have you checked out the nourishing gurus? cathe follows them. I bought their 7 day cleanse (it's food based) and found it pretty easy to follow and gave me a ton of energy like never before and instantly got me off sugar with zero cravings. My daughter did the program alongside me and it improved her mood instantly (and weight).

Book by Dr. John Lee explains how hormones greatly impact your sleep, weight, hair loss etc as we age. Dr. Mark Hyman has a great book called Food What the Heck should I eat to help heal the body through nutrition and likely sleep too.

If it's anxiety, I have other tips to help with sleep e.g. Jon Kabat Zinn Body scan, counting backward from a large number (to avoid thinking deeply and arousing the body), naming off dvds (again no arousal) etc. to occupy the mind and help you drift back to sleep.

I might be giving too much info here... Good luck to you!
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 08:06 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I don't have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep is my issue. I wake up almost every night between 2:30 and 3:00 then it is toss and turn, sleep for 10 minutes, wake up again.... I get into a good sleep about 30 minutes before I have to get up. Soooo frustrating.

I wish I had some advice to offer. It must be a getting older thing because I never had this problem until I got into my 50s.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 08:25 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
.....can help with sleep too and so can changing your diet (dramatically decreasing carbs and getting rid of all refined sugar)......
THIS. If I eat well and exercise, I am golden. I have helped a few friends get off sugar/refined carbs and they are always amazed at how much it improves their sleep. Sugar equals cortisol and nocturnal hypoglycemia---the perfect recipe for crummy sleep. Of course anxiety can contribute to that too but I think most people are more aware of that connection.
Old 09-07-19, 08:25 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
In my experience, depending on your age, if you are in peri-menopause or menopause, the loss of progesterone in your body (naturally decreases) can be the root cause of your sleeplessness. It was for me. I take a bio-identical hormone (progesterone - not progestin) to help with sleep issues. I sleep through the night and have since I started on it. Oil pulling at night can help with sleep too and so can changing your diet (dramatically decreasing carbs and getting rid of all refined sugar). Have you checked out the nourishing gurus? cathe follows them. I bought their 7 day cleanse (it's food based) and found it pretty easy to follow and gave me a ton of energy like never before and instantly got me off sugar with zero cravings. My daughter did the program alongside me and it improved her mood instantly (and weight).

Book by Dr. John Lee explains how hormones greatly impact your sleep, weight, hair loss etc as we age. Dr. Mark Hyman has a great book called Food What the Heck should I eat to help heal the body through nutrition and likely sleep too.

If it's anxiety, I have other tips to help with sleep e.g. Jon Kabat Zinn Body scan, counting backward from a large number (to avoid thinking deeply and arousing the body), naming off dvds (again no arousal) etc. to occupy the mind and help you drift back to sleep.

I might be giving too much info here... Good luck to you!
I am in Menopause for sure. I have started doing OMAD for eating. But even so I was starting to have trouble before those changes but it seems like it's gotten worse recently.

I will look into that 7 day cleanse.
Thanks for all that info! Will definitely look in the suggestions!
Old 09-07-19, 08:28 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
THIS. If I eat well and exercise, I am golden. I have helped a few friends get off sugar/refined carbs and they are always amazed at how much it improves their sleep. Sugar equals cortisol and nocturnal hypoglycemia---the perfect recipe for crummy sleep. Of course anxiety can contribute to that too but I think most people are more aware of that connection.
Yea it could be all the sugar I have been eating...on OMAD I can eat pretty much what I want within 1 hour in the day. I know I have to clean it up to get even better results. But I know I do not have to deprive myself so it will be easier for me to change to better eating habits.
Old 09-07-19, 08:29 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I don't have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep is my issue. I wake up almost every night between 2:30 and 3:00 then it is toss and turn, sleep for 10 minutes, wake up again.... I get into a good sleep about 30 minutes before I have to get up. Soooo frustrating.

I wish I had some advice to offer. It must be a getting older thing because I never had this problem until I got into my 50s.
I find that some nights I can fall right to sleep and others I just lay there...every night I toss and turn and wake up frequently just like you do.
Old 09-07-19, 08:33 PM  
sherry7899

Have you tried using a weighted blanket? That has really helped me to not toss and turn nearly as much.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melt method, morning exercise, morning workouts, sleep, sleep help