Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-18, 10:55 AM  
FirmDeb

Joining a gym for 1st time

Happy Memorial weekend! Yesterday was a hot one, just over 90 degrees and not being a summer gal, I was somewhat miserable which led me to thinking about working out this summer and replaying all the past summers and I came to the decision a change needed to happen -ASAP.

We don't have central AC so only a few rooms have AC and where I do cardio on my treadmill is in a room where I can't have the machine and AC and TV going at the same time. I can't afford another summer of missed workouts and I really think a change is needed after all these years of working out at home.

Being 53, nothing seems to work though I'm encouraged so much by all you ladies here and while I may not be happy with my weight, I have no intention of giving up. This past week I was miserable trying to decide on something to wear for a luncheon, nothing I loved in my closet fit and nothing I bought because it fit I loved. Ugh. Yeah, change needs to happen.

Also, I work at home now and I think I need to get out more. Be around people a little bit each day.

There's a gym that's a five-minute drive from my house so it's convenient. I mostly want to use the elliptical but we'll see how it goes, maybe I'll do strenghth training once I get comfortable. I've never joined a gym before. So I'm looking for any tips or advice about what to wear, what to expect, gym culture. I'm really excited about getting a gym bag. LOL. I love my bags! I plan on going over Tuesday to sign up. And since I publicly stated my intent here I won't chicken out like I've done in the past.
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 11:08 AM  
geojill

It feels a bit awkward going in the first few times but you’ll get into the swing of things soon enough. I love the energy of live classes but either couldn’t afford it or the times just haven’t worked for me for years. I won’t go to the gym to use cardio equipment but would for classes.

Do what you need to do for your lifestyle. And have a great time! A good friend of mine lives in Florida and has just started going to the gym because it’s too hot there to walk outside now.
Old 05-27-18, 12:00 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I haven't belonged to a gym in at least 10 years and things could be different now, but make sure you read the fine print on any contracts they want you to sign. I once had a hard time cancelling a gym membership and they kept charging my credit card even after I had cancelled, so it's just something to be aware of.

I don't have central air either but I do have a portable air conditioner that I move into my workout room on days when it's too hot. You said you can't run the AC and the treadmill at the same time, but could you do video workouts in there? That's what I do. If I worked from home though, I'd probably join a gym just to get out of the house every day. Good luck!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 12:23 PM  
FirmDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I haven't belonged to a gym in at least 10 years and things could be different now, but make sure you read the fine print on any contracts they want you to sign. I once had a hard time cancelling a gym membership and they kept charging my credit card even after I had cancelled, so it's just something to be aware of.

I don't have central air either but I do have a portable air conditioner that I move into my workout room on days when it's too hot. You said you can't run the AC and the treadmill at the same time, but could you do video workouts in there? That's what I do. If I worked from home though, I'd probably join a gym just to get out of the house every day. Good luck!
Great suggestion to check the contract. Will do! My neighbor belongs to this gym and she had good things to say about the place even when there was a problem with the PT she was supposed to have. We have portable ACs, a life-saver, but given the openness of downstairs it really doesn't cool off the space enough for a cardio workout and upstairs...well, it's a cape and it's brutal to workout up there. Actually, now I'm feeling very excited about joining. I think this will be a good change for the summer.
Old 05-27-18, 12:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm happy to hear about your new journey!

i've belonged to both a "regular" gym and the YWCA. the regular gym was selected because it was small compared to its competitor at the time, a chain of gyms known for its meat-market culture. this small independent gym unfortunately went out of business, ironically for the very reason i selected it - they weren't very aggressive in getting new members that use predatory tactics like its competitor.

what i'm saying is that gyms are a business and in order to keep their product alive, they need to continually attract new members. the successful ones strike a balance between that and still meeting the needs of their current membership.

the YWCA on the other hand, had the best of both worlds - small enough to offer everything you could need and still a going concern after all of these years.

one of the things i see mentioned a lot between VFers going to the gym is how to make that transition, i.e., using their "video" knowledge in a gym.

when you decide that you'll venture into the free-weight region of the gym, write down all of the moves of your favorite videos in a small notebook or index cards. sequencing might also be useful too. you could even use those notes and your memory about that video to gauge how long it will take you to do those moves in a gym.

for me, i've done that with the Firm's Tough Tape with Tracie Long and P90x Legs & Back. you'll find that if you do the moves from index cards, you'll shave off about 25% of how long it would take following along with the video.

the greatest benefit of working out in the gym with your vidiot knowledge is that the gym has racks and machines that allow you to lift heavy. the racks prevent you from having to bend down to get weights into position, or even better, have nautilus or universal machines that provide that same benefit.

if you spend just a short period of time doing this small preparation to plan your weights routines, you will be the expert you already are! i've seen people, including men, who have no idea what to do in the gym. they'll resort to just doing biceps, jump on the treadmill, and call it a day.

also, google gym etiquette and follow what is suggested since you'll be sharing facilities with others. i took a weight training class in college and learned these techniques.

good luck!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 01:23 PM  
marki64

Good for you. That might be just the change you need right now. You will most likely find it motivating and embark on new types of exercises. Maybe they have a free week pass or something, so you can try it out before you sign up. I haven't belonged to a club in years, so I have no tips to offer. I know that the gyms near me have a lot to offer. So have fun and enjoy meeting new people. I am sure you will make some fun fitness friends!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 01:46 PM  
cyana

Congratulations - hope you enjoy your new gym.

When you go to sign up, they should take you for a tour and you can ask if they can give you any tips on the busy times, gym culture, etc. Will there be an employee on the work-out floor if you have questions about how to use any of the equipment? Are there classes available? Some gyms have impressive class options and they may be included in your membership. If so, is there any sort of advance sign up needed? You may want to check with your neighbor before you go over to ask if they push new members to sign up for personal training, as this can be a good money maker for the gym. If you decide to spring for personal training, make sure you check out the qualifications of the trainers and get references, if possible. Interviewing the trainer before committing is a good idea to make sure your personalities and objectives mesh. Gyms have widely varying requirements for their trainers and turnover tends to be high. What are the rules about lockers? You definitely want a sturdy lock, as locker room theft is common and try to avoid having anything of value in your locker. Many gyms will cut locks off at night unless they have a bank of lockers available for long-term rental. My last gym had bottles of spray cleaner and paper towels that gym goers were supposed to use to wipe machines down after use (hooray!). There may be rules about beverages/water bottles on the actual work-out floor due to spill risk. They may have some sort of towel service, but that is typically an extra charge. Some really busy gyms may put a time limit on utilization of cardio machines during peak hours (fortunately I haven't seen this in many years). If they have racquetball courts, those typically require a sign up, particularly during peak hours.

When I went to the gym, I typically wore capris or long tights since it is possible to pick up infections in the gym setting. Gym bags are great - you definitely want one with lots of pockets/compartments - such as an end compartment for shoes. A comfortable shoulder strap is a must. Will you be using a pool or taking a shower? If so, having a separate compartment for wet clothing is handy. Zip lock freezer bags in the larger sizes can be great for containing wet items. Also, if you'll be showering at the gym, get a pair of rubber flip flops that you can wear in the locker room/shower area.

If you're going to be doing more weight-lifting, do you need a pair of weight gloves? If you like to listen to music while using the cardio machines, do you have an MP3 player or music on your phone? And ear bugs or headphones that can stand up to sweat?

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 02:32 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Here are some basic gym etiquette rules.

1. When members are waiting limit your cardio workout to 30 minutes. Your gym may have a different time so check with the staff.
2. ALWAYS wipe down any equipment you use. Nobody likes to get on a piece of cardio equipment covered in sweat.
3. Re-rack any free weights, kettlebells, balls, or other equipment you might pull out.
4. In the weight section of the facility , if someone is waiting for the piece of equipment you're using offer to let them work in a set while you're resting and take turns until you're done.
5. Observe the unwritten rules in the locker room. Do people wear shower shoes? Do most people wear a towel or robe when walking about in the locker room? If changing at the facility try to keep your things in a small location versus all over a bench, etc.
6. It goes without saying that you should never take a picture or video of another member without their knowledge and permission.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 03:05 PM  
FirmDeb

Thanks! Good suggestion about the index cards. That Tracie Long w/o is one of my fave Firm videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i'm happy to hear about your new journey!

i've belonged to both a "regular" gym and the YWCA. the regular gym was selected because it was small compared to its competitor at the time, a chain of gyms known for its meat-market culture. this small independent gym unfortunately went out of business, ironically for the very reason i selected it - they weren't very aggressive in getting new members that use predatory tactics like its competitor.

what i'm saying is that gyms are a business and in order to keep their product alive, they need to continually attract new members. the successful ones strike a balance between that and still meeting the needs of their current membership.

the YWCA on the other hand, had the best of both worlds - small enough to offer everything you could need and still a going concern after all of these years.

one of the things i see mentioned a lot between VFers going to the gym is how to make that transition, i.e., using their "video" knowledge in a gym.

when you decide that you'll venture into the free-weight region of the gym, write down all of the moves of your favorite videos in a small notebook or index cards. sequencing might also be useful too. you could even use those notes and your memory about that video to gauge how long it will take you to do those moves in a gym.

for me, i've done that with the Firm's Tough Tape with Tracie Long and P90x Legs & Back. you'll find that if you do the moves from index cards, you'll shave off about 25% of how long it would take following along with the video.

the greatest benefit of working out in the gym with your vidiot knowledge is that the gym has racks and machines that allow you to lift heavy. the racks prevent you from having to bend down to get weights into position, or even better, have nautilus or universal machines that provide that same benefit.

if you spend just a short period of time doing this small preparation to plan your weights routines, you will be the expert you already are! i've seen people, including men, who have no idea what to do in the gym. they'll resort to just doing biceps, jump on the treadmill, and call it a day.

also, google gym etiquette and follow what is suggested since you'll be sharing facilities with others. i took a weight training class in college and learned these techniques.

good luck!!
Old 05-27-18, 03:08 PM  
FirmDeb

Thank you! Great advice. #6, wow, I remember that horrible video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
Here are some basic gym etiquette rules.

1. When members are waiting limit your cardio workout to 30 minutes. Your gym may have a different time so check with the staff.
2. ALWAYS wipe down any equipment you use. Nobody likes to get on a piece of cardio equipment covered in sweat.
3. Re-rack any free weights, kettlebells, balls, or other equipment you might pull out.
4. In the weight section of the facility , if someone is waiting for the piece of equipment you're using offer to let them work in a set while you're resting and take turns until you're done.
5. Observe the unwritten rules in the locker room. Do people wear shower shoes? Do most people wear a towel or robe when walking about in the locker room? If changing at the facility try to keep your things in a small location versus all over a bench, etc.
6. It goes without saying that you should never take a picture or video of another member without their knowledge and permission.

Tags
gym, gym etiquette, gym membership, ywca