Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-23-20, 08:50 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - Strong Women Look a Challenge in the Eye and Give It a Wink. Feb 23

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 09:12 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good morning. Yesterday was a day about the house and it just sort of melted away. I went to church with my parents last evening. Today will be busier day with laundry and cooking. I may try to get out and run a couple of errands.

DH seems to be pretty much over the illness, so we seem to be back to normal. I am so grateful for what we had, the fact it was short with almost no cold symptoms. Usually, any illness I have turns into an infection and this one didn'thave a chance. My infusion is scheduled for Tuesday and it won't be delayed. Woo hoo!

Bee - Traditionally, Raleigh has a little bit of snow once or twice a year. We had none last winter and none this season until this past week. It was a long stretch with none. Usually, we have very little.

Anita - It sounds like you got to see multiple people and catch up. I hope your trip home is good.

Dede - In DC, I knew someone from Raleigh who said that North Carolinians DO know how to drive on the snow. They stay home until the snow melts and then they drive.

Paula - Yeah, I tried Cathe workouts, but only stuck with one in the end, TravelFit. But, it's a band workout and those I . Other than that one, there's just too much strain on my joints.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-23-20, 10:51 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It's good to be home! I did have a good stay at a motel in Madison though - quiet and comfy and things got taken care of well with me getting out a day earlier than my reservation. Frankly it was better than ending up sleeping on someone's couch! Gus is happy to see me, but he was happy at the boarding place also - I'm glad he acts normally there!

Today I'm planning on walking Gus and putzing around. I need to stop by the grocery store also. I'm glad I have a day to recompose myself here before heading back to WRC duties. And it's warm outside!

Dede, I'm not sure if chiropractor work would be covered by my insurance or what it would cost compared to the PT... Maybe something for me to check out. I don't think I could do jumping onto steps any more - good for you!

Bee, the Madison campus has grown massively in the last 20 years! So have the empty fields I used to walk my dog in on the West side of town . I think the UW has a higher bar for entry for out of state students compared to residents - at least they did in my days. No visit to Rocky Rococo this trip, but i did a visit after about 18 years - certainly didn't taste the same! But it is a Madison classic . No gyros either this trip. I did try to stop at my favorite restaurants around town but they were all gone . Gus is an Australian Shepherd - the fourth I've had and the sweetest one of the four. I got him through rescue - he lost his first family probably as a pup biting a 10 month old baby that pulled on his face. His next adopter was an elderly woman that feared falling down with him pulling on a leash - not sure if this was grandma to the baby or a totally separate placement. I'm number three... He does well with the boarder's cat also, but not tempted to get a cat right now.

Paula, I hope you'll be back out on your boat enjoying the sea soon! Visiting Oshkosh is a totally different circle of people than those in Madison...

Laura, sorry that your snow put such a dent in your day - it's just a sprinkle around here!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 09:17 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the PT routine which I need to do again before bed.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. Good theme (as usual). I like band workouts too, maybe I should check out Travelfit. Glad your DH is feeling better and life is back to normal.

Anita, I'm sure you are glad to be home, bet this was an emotionally draining trip. I am sure you are correct that visiting Oshkosh is totally different than visiting Madison. To make it more so, we were there for the AirAdventure which is a week long air show that is the largest in the nation, possibly the world. I suspect one could spend the entire week there and meet only a few people from Wisconsin. Most of the people I met weren't from WI and a good number of them I met weren't even Americans. That event is international for sure.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 07:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good morning. I slept well last night and got a somewhat early start to the day. I hope to get quite a bit done on my blog and videos today. Last week, I got derailed some, so I want to get back on track. I also will go to the YMCA.

Anita - Welcome back. I'm glad you had a good trip and that you got to come back early. Hopefully, yesterday was the restful catch-up day you needed.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-24-20, 07:49 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Back to bats and turtles at the WRC today. Otherwise entertaining Gus outside and taking a nice walk with him.

Paula, I used to drive to Oshkosh quite often when I lived in Madison to see my boyfriend/fiancee, so got to see the natives of the area . I did take this bubble quiz from PBS and I live in a small bubble of 22 (https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...ubble-a-quiz-2) - it does fit my life though...

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 02-24-20, 09:41 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Chair Cardio and Strength. I need to do the PT routine before bed.

Laura, hope you had a productive day. We had a quiet day, DH is still getting over a cold, so we didn't do a lot. I need to learn from you and make a committment to getting stuff done.

Anita, I'm sure Gus was happy to see you. Maya would be excited when we got there to pick here up, but would give us the cold shoulder for a day just to let us know leaving her behind was not acceptable. I took the quiz and got a 38 which was an interesting score - a "sort of" bubble.
Old 02-24-20, 10:16 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Good evening. I'm up too late but took a five-hour nap today. Sheesh. I've been so tired lately. I know I'm always tired, but it's been worse and I've been sleeping too much.

Today's workout was my customized upper body routine and Step Sync, timesaver premix 2. I used the step topper again. Now that I have the choreography down, the step is adding some needed intensity. I have still fallen far since the good old days, but being able to use even the topper feels a bit like progress and triumph. Bleh.

Anita, I don't know if I can still jump on the step or not. It's been a while since I've done that workout, and jumping on it wore me out. I might have to stagger the jump or slow it down. Getting old bites. (And I'm not even that old!)

I don't understand why there is a diff between OshKosh and Madison. But then the only place in Wisconsin I've been is Eau Claire, and that was just to spend the night while traveling.

I can no longer keep up with our weather. Is it supposed to rain tomorrow? We had rain today, and I know it's in the forecast this week. We've had one weird winter.

Everyone have a great day tomorrow.
Old 02-25-20, 09:37 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to PT this morning, taking Gus for a nice walk and working at the circus. Otherwise I'm putzing around the house.

Paula, Gus is very good with me - he was excited to get to his usual path for walking yesterday. He does like the lady taking care of him though, which is good! I'm doing my PT exercises also - not much has changed except doing more reps (from 15 to 20) and at a hold out for 5 seconds for each rep. These exercises don't seem to help much as they don't extend my leg back to proper placement in its socket, but I guess it'll be a good base of strength if I need to get a hip replacement.

Dede, I've come down to one speed of transport these days - no jog or run is available any more, just a walk. And climbing stairs goes slowly - on a good day I use both legs - no running up stairs or hopping up with any spring in my step. I am walking around as if I were a 75 year old . I think the university in Madison puts the population around that a bit on the white collar side - there's lots of blue collar people on the East and South sides though. I always lived in the university environment. Oshkosh is pretty blue collar population also. Sorry if that shows some of my personal biases, but it's not intended to be discriminatory.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 02-25-20, 08:52 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Chair Cardio/Strength them the PT routine.

Dede, nothing wrong with a nap - good sleep is one of those things that is so important. I've been watching MedCram in the evening while doing my PT. It's a YouTube channel primarily for medical students (I think) but lately they are doing a nightly update on the Cornoavirus. One of the things they have stressed that strengthens the immune system is sleep. So sleep away, you're protecting yourself from viral infection.

Anita, I don't jog or run - ever. I never was a runner but now I woudn't even consider trying. Most of my PT exercises have a five second hold also. As I said we never got to Madison, but I love university towns - I just love the energy. When I was in NH I spent time in Dartmouth and loved everything but the cold and snow. When we were in Oshkosh it we didn't see the town, we were totally absorbed in the airshow which, of course, was crowded with people from everywhere.