Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-20, 08:56 AM  
Izzy

They probably just went through Customer Service training. Retail does that after the holidays and sales are not as good as they hoped. They were probably told that some customers are polite and say they "got it" when they don't. They carried it too far but I suspect they were probably being watched by a manager.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 09:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I've been asked at times in stores if I needed help carrying something heavy. But once I politely say no thank you it usually stops there. That does seem over the top and I would be pretty annoyed at that point too. Odd. Insisting on helping a customer numerous times after they refused help isn't good customer service! Quite the opposite .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 09:57 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

If something is heavy or awkward, I have no trouble asking for help. One of the benefits of working out is actually knowing my limits. I've carried cat trees and end tables around that store (I should probably get a cart, but they were impulse purchases. Went in for socks, came out with furniture ) These were folding chairs. At the register, the cashier asked if I needed help carrying them out. I kind of laughed and said no thank you. That was the end of it.

And when I say salespeople, I don't know their real title. They were stocking shelves in Marshall's. This wasn't Nordstrom's.
Old 02-05-20, 11:33 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I wanted to demonstrate how NOT heavy it was by bashing it over her head, but that's not very zen-like I did raise my voice, and the chair (with my fingertips) and snarled "You think this is heavy?"
Kudos for holding back your temper! I might've gone full WWE on her

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 11:59 AM  
cpcathy

I'll play Devil's Advocate here, and say, yes, they were too pushy, but perhaps it was a liability thing. Perhaps they are not allowed to let someone lift or carry something that is too heavy, or else that person would get injured and file a claims.

And yes, I am a claims person by trade.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 03:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Am I alone in wondering what miracle chair you found?

Got pictures? I've never really been happy with my workout chair situation.

Had a backless yoga chair, but it got recalled for safety reasons, sigh. (wasn't great for essentrics, though.)
Old 02-05-20, 03:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

Had a backless yoga chair, but it got recalled for safety reasons, sigh. (wasn't great for essentrics, though.)
Haha see what you started? Now all the other vidiots want your chairs!

Louise, I'm hoping you can laugh about this now.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 04:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I'll play Devil's Advocate here, and say, yes, they were too pushy, but perhaps it was a liability thing. Perhaps they are not allowed to let someone lift or carry something that is too heavy, or else that person would get injured and file a claims.

And yes, I am a claims person by trade.
I see that point, however, they offered numerous times and their help was refused to the point that it was insulting that they continued to press. That goes beyond the point of liability, IMHO.

CS people have offered to carry various items for me and I always refuse politely. Most of the time they don't look as able to carry whatever it is better than I can and I know when I need assistance. I've never had anyone press it to the extent that the OP described. I can't imagine how I would have reacted, particularly when they pronounced "we'll take the chairs." I don't know that I would have bought them at that point.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 04:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I see that point, however, they offered numerous times and their help was refused to the point that it was insulting that they continued to press. That goes beyond the point of liability, IMHO.

CS people have offered to carry various items for me and I always refuse politely. Most of the time they don't look as able to carry whatever it is better than I can and I know when I need assistance. I've never had anyone press it to the extent that the OP described. I can't imagine how I would have reacted, particularly when they pronounced "we'll take the chairs." I don't know that I would have bought them at that point.
That's how I feel, that I would have lost my patience and civility and thrust the chairs at them before huffing out of the store. I've had store employees offer to carry bags of dog food or dumbbells for me and they always move on when I say no thanks (even when it's men who I like to think I've impressed with my great strength ).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 05:28 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Haha see what you started? Now all the other vidiots want your chairs!

Louise, I'm hoping you can laugh about this now.
I'll try to post pictures. I was glad to see a website on the tag so that I could just post a link. Doesn't work: "Under construction". One of the chairs might go back because I really don't need two (Beth, if you want one, I can meet you half way ) Actually, they both might go back. They're almost perfect for standing work, but not for seated work. The padding on the seat is too thick. I'm short, and I'd be sitting too high.

ETA: I tried to post a picture and the file is too big. I compressed it, that still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Tags
cool yoga tricks