Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-18, 07:32 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Ripped with HIIT has a finisher at the end of body part. Sort of similar to burn sets with the third set as a burner. The big difference is the finisher is a completely different workout (1 set).
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-19, 09:32 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

****OLD THREAD ALERT*****

I kept meaning to try Burn Sets after this thread first appeared, and finally did it today. I really enjoyed it! It is at a good pace, not too fast, and it allows time to change weights between sets or between exercises and to rest a bit. The extra time allowed me to think about what weight I should use rather than just grab whatever Cathe uses (which I know is a no-go for my sometimes wonky shoulders). I did Chest/Back/Shoulders and Tris/Bis and the time went a whole lot quicker than I expected.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 06:15 AM  
bubbles76

Still loving Xtrain after all these years . And RWH, although it took me a few tries to warm up to it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-19, 03:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I never really liked Xtrain so never used it much, but this thread revival got me to take another look at it. Yesterday I did Chest/Back/Shoulder and today I did Legs. Really liked both of those! Love that she doesn't repeat stuff! And she also inserts some stretches here and there which I feel like she almost never does. I'll try Burn Sets sometime soon, and some of the others in that set. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 11:26 AM  
laurajhawk

OLD THREAD: This is a Deal of the Day today so I'm trying to decide whether to get it along with preordering Perfect30. Figured I'd bump the thread to help anyone who's on the same fence today.

I like Cathe for heavy weights, so this one appeals to me. Is there a huge amount of equipment though? Or is it mostly just dumbbells (I'd prefer that)?
ETA: Bless Mary for including equipment requirements in her DVD listings. For Burn Sets, Mary says "Equipment Needed: Hand Weights, Resistance Tubing, Weight Bench, Incline Bench, Resistance Loop". That's not too bad.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 01:55 PM  
momofcha

I actually just got burn sets but haven’t used it yet. I hope to soon

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 02:38 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
OLD THREAD: This is a Deal of the Day today so I'm trying to decide whether to get it along with preordering Perfect30. Figured I'd bump the thread to help anyone who's on the same fence today.

I like Cathe for heavy weights, so this one appeals to me. Is there a huge amount of equipment though? Or is it mostly just dumbbells (I'd prefer that)?
ETA: Bless Mary for including equipment requirements in her DVD listings. For Burn Sets, Mary says "Equipment Needed: Hand Weights, Resistance Tubing, Weight Bench, Incline Bench, Resistance Loop". That's not too bad.
I was also looking at this one too. I was hoping maybe for rhythmic step. But I definitely need to do more weight workouts.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 03:15 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:

Is this a deal of the day on Cathe's website? I am ignorant of such things because I moved away from video workouts. This one sounds good though.

ETA: I just went on Cathe's website and this looks like it is only upper body? In the same series she has a chest back and shoulders workout and a biceps and triceps DVD? Seems kind of repetitive and expensive for what you get.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 09:21 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

lreidgreen: The two upper body workouts are completely different. Burn Sets is a more traditional 3 exercises of 10 reps per muscle group, 3 sets per exercise, and a final burn set for that muscle group. Each muscle group gets worked before moving on.

The other upper body workouts are in a tri-set fashion for chest/shoulders/back and then an alternating fashion for bi/tri. You do one exercise for each muscle group and then move on to a different exercise for each muscle group for a total of 8 rounds. Rep count for each exercise is 16. Two completely different weight training styles.

Cathe designed an undulating rotation for this series and several have had great results.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-20, 12:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
thanks for bumping this thread - how much was it for yesterday, and was this on Cathe's or Mary's site?

also, what lower body workout do people pair with this since this is an UB workout? xTrain has a Cardio Leg Blast workout which i was wondering if it was a good partner to Burn Sets.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burn sets, cathe