Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-20, 11:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Thanks Lannette!

I haven't noticed those but I'm sure they're available. I do love fitness toys. In the meantime I think I can do those calf stretches on my BOSU.
I have done Katie’s workouts & I bought a half foam roller on amazon and made my own blocks like the one in Lannette’s link. I have two about the length of yoga blocks & one that is longer. I think it’s good to try different props, starting with what you have at home, and see what feels best.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 07:27 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Thanks Lannette!

I haven't noticed those but I'm sure they're available. I do love fitness toys. In the meantime I think I can do those calf stretches on my BOSU.
The calf stretch is a good one but I linked more to show you the picture of a half dome. I put the flat side up and the fact that it tilts makes all the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have done Katie’s workouts & I bought a half foam roller on amazon and made my own blocks like the one in Lannette’s link. I have two about the length of yoga blocks & one that is longer. I think it’s good to try different props, starting with what you have at home, and see what feels best.
I agree Pam. Over the years I tried sitting on blankets, pillows and yoga blocks as instructed by various yogis. It wasn’t until I had a “duh” moment and pulled out the half dome that my hips and knees stayed comfortable enough to have a long term daily KY practice without LB pain. The domes I sit on and use to support my knee when it needs it are 6” long. I don’t have a longer one. How do you use that one?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 09:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I sit on a tri-folded Svaroopa (synthetic yoga blanket) or my rectangular yoga bolster. If you don't have one of those a higher pile than one folded blanket can suffice.

The trick is to sit high enough so that the knees are level with the hips, not sticking upward.

Another thought - a lot of "sitting crosslegs" things can be done seated in a chair instead of on the mat.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 11:43 AM  
Rhonda

I can't remember which instructor it was but they said if you can't sit crossed let on the floor then either sit with legs in a comfortable position for you or sit in a chair.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 12:03 PM  
laurajhawk

Sitting cross-legged in yoga is 90% about establishing a comfortable seat (for upper-body work or meditation) and 10% about hip opening. All the cross-legged variations have some hip opening benefit; the key is to choose a variation where you eventually notice a stretch but don't experience knee pain.

If you can't get comfortable cross-legged, it's not worth it. Find your comfortable seat, and make sure you're doing some hip opening in other parts of your practice (not a problem with most yoga videos!).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 02:40 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thank you for all the suggestions!!

So for now...the guest bed has lost its pillows...

One under the bum and one under the knee and it lifted my hips to knee height.

And since I realize it's more about my hips and not any other body part then I'll be aware of that.

So much great advice here!!

I hope someone else benefits from this like I have since I realize what didn't work for me could help someone else

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 03:48 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Linda, this is an excellent reference for modifications.
https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Yoga-Tri...s%2C210&sr=8-1

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 01-06-20, 04:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
The calf stretch is a good one but I linked more to show you the picture of a half dome. I put the flat side up and the fact that it tilts makes all the difference.

I agree Pam. Over the years I tried sitting on blankets, pillows and yoga blocks as instructed by various yogis. It wasn’t until I had a “duh” moment and pulled out the half dome that my hips and knees stayed comfortable enough to have a long term daily KY practice without LB pain. The domes I sit on and use to support my knee when it needs it are 6” long. I don’t have a longer one. How do you use that one?
Lannette, I find the longer one is more comfortable to sit on, it’s not quite the length of two yoga blocks. Thanks for that suggestion! I agree that the 6’ ones are great for supporting your knees in a cross legged position, much more comfortable than a regular block. I have an uncut full length one that is perfect for a yin chest opener. I cushion it with a fleece blanket.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 01-06-20, 08:30 PM  
Lannette

Thank you Pam. Those sound like great uses for a full length half dome.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 09:16 PM  
fanofladyvols

Pam, my library has it! The title would not be one I would reach for because it sounds like something for someone advanced in yoga. Thanks

Lannette, I can see that I will like having that half dome...thanks for the suggestion

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga modifications