Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-19, 03:35 PM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

Do you bring your DVD player or laptop to the gym?

I used to do it a couple of years ago. There's a gym in the building I work in. It's really state of the art, they just purchased a couple of Peleton bikes for folks to use. I'm restarting exercising. When I used to do it, I would get to the gym before other people would get there and there's a small fitness class area where I would set up my portable DVD player. I would mostly do Jessica Smith DVDs. It was a perfect little set up because there was an area where I could set up my dvd player and the weights (which were already in the room). The only problem was that there was no door, so quite often people would walk by and try to figure out what I was doing. There's also another separate room for yoga/barre which does have a door, but I didn't want to use it in the event someone wanted to come in there and do barre/yoga.

I really like my dvds and streaming and get bored easily on the bikes and treadmills. So I'm going to restart my old routine. Plus, I get more motivated in the gym as opposed to working out at my house. The only thing that bothers me is the stares, but for the most part I tuned the people out.

Just wondering, does anyone else bring their dvd players and/or laptops to the gym and if so, what has been your experience?

Paula
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 07:25 PM  
carly

I work out at home so l can't offer any advise based on experience. But with all the new streaming videos, YouTube and Peloton Apps available I think most people will recognize what you are doing without the strange stares you have experienced in the past. (If anything you might have people wondering what streaming service you are using.) And with Bluetooth headphones you can easily share a room or space without bothering others with your audio.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 08:50 AM  
owltx

I work out at home as well, so I don't do it routinely - but, I do bring it with me to hotel gyms when I travel. I actually have a nice selection of workouts on my ipad, and if the hotel has a gym I prefer to go down there - esp because then I can use the weights. I do workout pretty early, so it is hardly ever busy. I have never really received any negative attention because of this - but I make sure to set up where I am not in anyone's way, and as the pp mentioned, wireless headphones are key for this. I also think that recently w/you tube and other streaming services and apps, people are used to seeing more of this in the gym.
Old 12-10-19, 08:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have occasionally seen people at my Planet Fitness using their phones and sometimes iPads to do streaming workouts.

I would like to stream Coffey Fit Raw and use all the gym equipment but I would feel like too much of a dork to do that, especially since I'm not an uber fit, confident person.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 02:38 PM  
nynancy

I used to bring my DVD player to our fitness center at work. I'd set up in a corner and do my workouts. At first I was self-conscious, but then realized everyone's caught up in their own workout and paying little attention to me. After some time, a few others started doing the same thing I was!
nynancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio workouts, gym, paper workouts at gym, videos at the gym