Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-19, 01:17 PM  
prettyinpink

Is there any impact in those workouts?

There is research about jumping regimens positively impacting bone density. If no weight training for lower body, then maybe look into adding some controlled impact if you don’t already.

I prefer bodyweight workouts for my lower body, but add some lower body weight training because I feel stronger, fitter, and prefer the aesthetics of doing so. As I age I think it also might be necessary for me to preserve muscle mass as well.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 01:17 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I cannot do heavy weights due to shoulder/neck/lower back issues.
Sherry
I didn't know that. I thought you just didn't like lower body weight work.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 01:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Probably true, but as someone who’s wrists can’t do heavy weights and who dislikes heavy weights, I don’t go there. I try to compensate as best I can by doing a lot of walking and other weight bearing cardio.
I guess I'm lucky in that I enjoy heavy lifting. (It's almost like a moving meditation for me.) Not all the time, but as part of periodization training. I have a weighted belt to save my hands/wrists if they are sore.

Since I had a back injury, I can't do dead-lifts like I used to. But, I can go fairly heavy when I do glute lifts. Those are very good for the posterior chain and don't bother my back.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 02:10 PM  
carly

A time when I was concentrating on Tae Bo / Kickboxing my lower body was very toned, but I was missing a couple of things so I added Turbo Fire Hiits and Kettlebell swings. The Hiits added short burst of high impact that I was able to endure with my whacky knees and feet. The higher impact strengthen my feet, knees and added muscle to my legs. I worked up to 100 Kettlebell swings / 3 times a week and this really improved my posterior chain of muscles.

As I get older I worry about flexibility and range of motion ( which requires muscle, strong joints and fascia). While I hate weight training I would do anything to maintain my ability to squat down and sit on the floor, climb stairs, carry my own groceries, etc. throughout my life. I have friends and relatives (in their mid 50s) whom have already lost these abilities.....they tend to sit in upright chairs, avoid stairs, avoid walking long distances, etc.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 02:18 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I guess I'm lucky in that I enjoy heavy lifting. (It's almost like a moving meditation for me.)
That’s great, the enjoyment factor is huge. A heavy weight rotation would be high dread for me and I like to enjoy my workouts. I do high rep/low weight and body weight workouts, those are my thing. There is evidence they are beneficial for bone density, probably not as much as heavy lifting, but one size doesn’t fit all. Here’s an article: https://www.berkeleywellness.com/fit...stronger-bones
My wrists and thumbs can’t even take holding handle bicycle bars for any length of time unfortunately, due to an old injury and arthritis. It’s the hand and wrist position as much as the weight.

ETA I can do KBs and should look at adding in some swings a few times a week.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 02:27 PM  
bjones

I don't like "legs day" because I get so darn sore with DOMS for days afterwards. I've found a good compromise-I do a 5 minute leg segment from Cathe's Butts and Guts DVD 6 days a week. It equals a 30 minute legs workout per week without the soreness and its easy to tack onto another workout. I do think its good to use dumbbells or a barbell for leg work strength. For sure bodyweight training is good but heavier weights work so much better to build strength-at least for me, as I am naturally very weak. You may be more naturally strong and muscular so maybe not so much of an issue. Everyone's body is different. I do know when I stopped doing legs for a while I had trouble getting off the floor as well as stepping onto a chair to reach the top shelf in my kitchen. Since I"m 62 I"m concerned about getting weak and frail so thats why I started my new daily 5 minute regimen.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 02:29 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Is there any impact in those workouts?

There is research about jumping regimens positively impacting bone density. If no weight training for lower body, then maybe look into adding some controlled impact if you don’t already.

I prefer bodyweight workouts for my lower body, but add some lower body weight training because I feel stronger, fitter, and prefer the aesthetics of doing so. As I age I think it also might be necessary for me to preserve muscle mass as well.

I keep Body Combat low impact. I do not do any jumping. I do short bits of higher impact in the dance workouts.

Pam, thank you for the link. I will definitely read the article.

Eta: I do a little jogging during Body Combat, so that is some impact.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 02:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sherry - Here is another encouraging article:
https://www.betterbones.com/exercise...g-builds-bone/

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 03:23 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Sherry - Here is another encouraging article:
https://www.betterbones.com/exercise...g-builds-bone/
I think there can be confusion sometimes when we say light weights or heavy weights on this forum, because as home exercisers, most probably don’t mean heavy weights in the same way someone with a complete home gym or someone who goes to a real gym would mean.

I do weights for lower body but I don’t have a squat rack and my barbell has limits. So I can do 80 lb dead lifts and 50 with dumbbells for squats, but that’s it. Some people would consider that pretty light weight.

In the article you linked, the “lighter weights” program was BodyPump. The bodyweight was yoga and Pilates, which didn’t show benefit. BodyPump recommendation for intermediate level is up to 20 or 30 pounds for lower body work. That is pretty moderate, but it is still weighted and not only body weight.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 03:32 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think there can be confusion sometimes when we say light weights or heavy weights on this forum, because as home exercisers, most probably don’t mean heavy weights in the same way someone with a complete home gym or someone who goes to a real gym would mean.

I do weights for lower body but I don’t have a squat rack and my barbell has limits. So I can do 80 lb dead lifts and 50 with dumbbells for squats, but that’s it. Some people would consider that pretty light weight.

In the article you linked, the “lighter weights” program was BodyPump. The bodyweight was yoga and Pilates, which didn’t show benefit. BodyPump recommendation for intermediate level is up to 20 or 30 pounds for lower body work. That is pretty moderate, but it is still weighted and not only body weight.
Both articles Pam linked to cite BodyPump as the weighted program and could be referring to the same study.

Body weight isn't enough for my lower body. Cathe has become my go-to for lower-body strength, although I frequently don't lift as heavy as she does.

ETA: I'm older than bjones, and avoiding weakness and frailty is important to me, too. Fortunately, I enjoy weighted workouts.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone density, glute bridges