Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-18, 12:06 PM  
lithium

Just want to update - my colonoscopy went smoothly today. Everything was normal. Don't need to go back for 10 years. Hooray!
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 12:13 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you for asking. It went well. He does have to go back in five years, but that is better than the three year gap he had for this time. They were so quick. His appointment was nine am, and he was in recovery by 10:10 am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium View Post
Just want to update - my colonoscopy went smoothly today. Everything was normal. Don't need to go back for 10 years. Hooray!
Great news!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 12:29 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium View Post
Great news lithium!!!! What a relief!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 06:29 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Erica & lithium, so glad you both got good results!

(Just back from vacation or I would have read this & posted sooner.)

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 09:49 PM  
lithium

Thank you Erica, Donna and Dorothy. Good luck to everybody who's going through this!
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 12:47 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I read back one page and people are still talking about 3 day clear liquid/fast preps? that's just crazy, there's no reason in the world for that unless you have a diagnosed very slow bowel transit time. Dietary restrictions, beyond supplement that have effects on blood coagulation, are similarly er, nuts.

I had a colonoscopy a week ago and was allowed a "small" breakfast--I had a scrambled egg and half a bagel. Then basically nothing aka clear liquids for the rest of the day. The prep had me cleared out before bedtime that night, but I still took half the remaining dose of the prep, fighting nausea the whole time.

But the procedure (my second) went well and I don't have to go back for 10 years, at which time I'll be 75. Not sure I'll do it then.

Also, the sedation is a piece of cake. The nurse anesthestist was a buddy of mine and we were joking about counting down by 7 vs singing a song when I said "OK, I'm out" and that's the last I remember till I woke up half an hour later.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 01:52 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
The nurse anesthestist was a buddy of mine and we were joking about counting down by 7 vs singing a song when I said "OK, I'm out" and that's the last I remember till I woke up half an hour later.
you are so funny!

i also remember them asking me to count down using an odd interval like 7s or 6s. i had to think! when i woke up they were showing me the pictures. the nurse on my procedure was the mom of one of my son's soccer buddies. she was also my DH's nurse when he did his - it was weird! she was cool though.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 06:32 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I read back one page and people are still talking about 3 day clear liquid/fast preps? that's just crazy, there's no reason in the world for that unless you have a diagnosed very slow bowel transit time. Dietary restrictions, beyond supplement that have effects on blood coagulation, are similarly er, nuts.

I had a colonoscopy a week ago and was allowed a "small" breakfast--I had a scrambled egg and half a bagel. Then basically nothing aka clear liquids for the rest of the day. The prep had me cleared out before bedtime that night, but I still took half the remaining dose of the prep, fighting nausea the whole time.

But the procedure (my second) went well and I don't have to go back for 10 years, at which time I'll be 75. Not sure I'll do it then.
In my case, I had twisted intestines so my doctors thought a longer prep would work (it didn't). Before my surgery, my doctor originally wanted a 5-day prep and decided it would be too difficult on me and we settled on 3. Even after surgery to fix my intestines, the one day prep didn't work but my surgeon was finally able to complete the colonoscopy. What a relief.

That is fantastic that you were able to have a small breakfast the day before your procedure. I think that would make it so much easier if people could do that. Glad you had good results, too!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 09:02 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Bumping old thread because I had my first colonoscopy two days ago, and like lithium I passed with flying colors and don't need another for 10 years These colonoscopy threads were very helpful in letting me know what to expect. I was given a list of choices for prep, mostly prescription, and I chose the magnesium citrate. I got bottles at Safeway (buy 1 get 1 sale ) in cherry and lemon flavors. It didn't taste as bad as I feared; when paired with diet cherry soda it was like liquid Sour Patch Kids. Really the worst part for me was the soreness; if doing it again I would recommend having baby wipes or even wet washcloths on hand for wiping, or a spray bottle. But there was zero pain afterwards and I don't even remember falling asleep. I was groggy and unsteady for the rest of the day, but it felt so good to eat and my dear dh brought me a deli sub when he picked me up. What a relief to have this done and over with! Good vibes to everyone else.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 09:07 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Bumping old thread because I had my first colonoscopy two days ago, and like lithium I passed with flying colors and don't need another for 10 years These colonoscopy threads were very helpful in letting me know what to expect. I was given a list of choices for prep, mostly prescription, and I chose the magnesium citrate. I got bottles at Safeway (buy 1 get 1 sale ) in cherry and lemon flavors. It didn't taste as bad as I feared; when paired with diet cherry soda it was like liquid Sour Patch Kids. Really the worst part for me was the soreness; if doing it again I would recommend having baby wipes or even wet washcloths on hand for wiping, or a spray bottle. But there was zero pain afterwards and I don't even remember falling asleep. I was groggy and unsteady for the rest of the day, but it felt so good to eat and my dear dh brought me a deli sub when he picked me up. What a relief to have this done and over with! Good vibes to everyone else.
That’s great news Sue. I remember posting to this thread while prepping for my colonoscopy. It really is such relief when it’s over and you get a clean bill of health.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps