Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-18, 06:32 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thanks Everyone!!

I didn't think to ask this - but what are the difference between all the preps?

Anyway - it all sounds awful.....

Donna
My GI doctor liked the preps with the gallon jug because he thought the volume of liquid helped with prep. My surgeon uses Miralax/Dulcolax and just gives instructions to drink, drink, drink. Oh, and he also has patients drink a bottle of magnesium citrate (gross - that's the one thing I can't get down).

They are all awful. But it will be over before you know it. Try not to think about it too much ahead of time.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 06:50 PM  
Carol K

With SuPrep, you drink just as much liquid as TriLyte, but most of it's plain water. My husband and I both had TriLyte with our first colonscopies and SuPrep with our second and Suprep is SO much easier.
Old 09-24-18, 08:10 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I've had two colonoscopies and grape-flavored SuPrep each time. It's not exactly yummy, but as Carol said, it's mostly water anyway. My instructions suggested sucking on a piece of lime first and then drinking it down with a straw. The whole procedure, including the prep, wasn't bad at all. I had a tremendous amount of anxiety about the whole thing and kept putting it off, but honestly? It was far easier than I expected.

Donna, feel free to PM me with specific questions (or ask them here), and I'll try to talk you off the ledge. I'm a couple of years overdue for my next one, and this discussion is reminding me to get one scheduled.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, both DH and I did SuPrep in July--it's not awful! It tastes a bit like cough syrup but it's not as thick. It's just hard to drink the whole 16 oz (I think that's how much it is) and then to follow with 2x that in water, all within an hour. They suggest different ways to make it easier--e.g., using a straw, keeping it well-chilled, putting it over ice, etc.--but I just tried to chug it as quickly as possible! Both DH and I were ready for the bathroom by around the time the hour was up.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 08:37 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I had my consult today - if my DH can get the day off i go on October 11th for the procedure. I'm doing the Suprep - any words of wisdom on that method? (It all sounds ghastly!!!)

videofit - I asked the Dr. if not being sedated was an option and she said yes and that she has done them on patients without being sedated - she did, however, tell me that she wouldn't recommend it for me - she said for small women it is more difficult - which sort of makes sense, I suppose, less room. She also said since women have other parts in there - uterus, etc. it is more difficult.

Anyway, wish me luck. I both hope and don't hope my DH can get the day off to take me..

Donna
Thatt a girl Donna. I’m so happy you got the appointment. My doctor had me do the magnesium citrate. I’m not going to lie...it was gross but I just sucked it down the best I could. I chased it with ginger ale. I never drink soda so the ginger ale was a treat.

I would definitely recommend eating light for a couple days before. I did and I didn’t spend all that much time in the bathroom—if you get my drift—I was actually a little concerned that I wouldn’t be ready but my doctor commented on a great prep.

My other suggestion is to make sure you read the paperwork and follow the instructions to the letter. There was a man in the waiting room who got turned away because he didn’t prep properly. He had to book another appointment .

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 08:38 AM  
donnamp

Well, my DH got the day off so the 11th it is! Wish me luck. I'm happy to hear that those who did SuPrep didn't find it horrible. I plan to eat a light and low fiber diet a few days before to make it easier on myself.....

I hope I get on the 10 year plan for this!!

Thanks, Tracy! I just saw your post!! The SuPrep seems pretty straightforward, thankfully. My DH did his last two preps with OTC laxatives and it was a little more complicated. As far as I could tell from my instructions it is SuPrep the evening before, again in the morning, and an OTC laxative if all isn't "clear" by then, if you get my drift. But, I figure if I eat light (I normally eat a lot of raw fruits, veggies, salads, nuts, etc - which I will not do for a few days leading up to it) it shouldn't be awful. Ugh. The joys of aging.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 08:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, here is a nice countdown guide that I found:
https://www.ccalliance.org/pdfs/reso...mpleSixDay.pdf

Here is another even more detailed manual:
https://www.uclahealth.org/Workfiles...noscopy-en.pdf

DH and I also used a food list very similar to this one--but note that we started the low-fiber FIVE days before, including no fresh fruits, veggies, seeds, or nuts:
https://www.gastro1.com/images/Pre_C...structions.pdf

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 10:09 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My DH had his colonoscopy last Tuesday morning with noon and 7pm SuPreps on Monday and NO dietary instructions from his doc beyond "clear liquids on Suprep Day". We did online research and came up with the same links posted by Toaster for transitioning to a low fiber diet. He eliminated dairy, red meat, nuts/seeds and fiber from Saturday morning on; the hardest for him was no raw fruit or vegetables, though he did have a little bit of avocado. He said the restricted diet made his elimination/cleansing sooooo much easier than the other two times he's done it, without watching his diet.

Good luck with yours. I'm behind on scheduling mine and need to get on it this week....

Last edited by athompson10; 09-25-18 at 10:11 AM. Reason: edit/clarity
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 10:14 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Allison and Beth!!!

I'm glad mine is scheduled for a Thursday - it will make following the low fiber diet somewhat easier.

I'm still uneasy about it but I must remember that the risk of any of the horror stories happening is significantly lower than the risk of cancer....so......

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 10:42 AM  
lithium

I finally booked mine for 11/2!!! Per the instruction my prep is the Dulcolax/Miralax/Gatorade kind. I'd like to get the prep as well as I can to avoid possible re-do's. OK now I have an indelicate question: what should I expect the stuff coming out of me at the end of the prep? After all the diet, laxatives and clear liquid, should I see clear or brown liquid? Sorry beforehand if I offend your senses.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps