Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-20, 07:49 AM  
killoffsonny

Pilates and Osteoprosis

I'm just wondering if its still ok to do pilates with osteoporosis. I see some exercises are contraindicated. I've just been diagnosed with advanced and I've been doing pilates for about 8 years. Never had any problems and haven't lost any height but now lets just say I'm paranoid and a hypochondriac.
Old 02-09-20, 08:02 AM  
Demeris

I just received this from a generous VFer. I've done every section. I can tell you that I like it, but it is a VERY easy DVD. In fact, I will probably use it on a rest day.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 09:21 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

This is also a book called Osteopilates by Karena Lineback.

You might like the Pilates for Buff Bones DVD by Rebecca Rotstein. I think it is better than BoneSmart Pilates DVD. Mary carries it at Total Fitness DVDs: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/sea...+Bones&Submit=

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 12:45 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have to say right off that I hate Pilates. It's a great exercise system, but I just never could stand it.

With that in mind, after I had an osteoporatic vertebral fracture, I found that most of the rehab workouts were modified Pilates. I didn't like Teresa Marchock's BoneSmart series. Why did she have to have the tuturial separately? I never felt like doing the workouts.

Didn't like TheraPilates with Sherri Betz either. I forget why.

Pilates for Buff Bones
is OK. She goes too fast for me, so I don't do that one either.

The only modified Pilates I could stand is on Amanda Turner's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_...=osteoporosis.

It probably moves too slowly for a Pilates regular, but I liked it and her.

If you have low bone mass in your spine, skip any "C-Curve" type moves, most forward flexion moves, roll-ups, deep twists and cat-cow type moves. Why take a chance?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 01:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
If you have low bone mass in your spine, skip any "C-Curve" type moves, most forward flexion moves, roll-ups, deep twists and cat-cow type moves. Why take a chance?
VF'er Natural Love is a Pilates trainer. In one of my check-ins with her she always told us that straining the neck forward (100, series of five, etc.) is completely unnecessary. If needed you can put a small pillow under your head. Since I quit attempting flexing my head forward, I've found that I can focus better on using the core muscles.

My physical therapist also told me to avoid tucking the pelvis. So many workout instructors tell us to tuck the pelvis. If you have osteo in the spine you want to maintain neutral spine and not tuck. From listening to the cue to tuck my pelvis for so many years, I spent four months in PT focusing on relearning to exercise with a neutral spine.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 01:17 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
VF'er Natural Love is a Pilates trainer. In one of my check-ins with her she always told us that straining the neck forward (100, series of five, etc.) is completely unnecessary. If needed you can put a small pillow under your head. Since I quit attempting flexing my head forward, I've found that I can focus better on using the core muscles.

My physical therapist also told me to avoid tucking the pelvis. So many workout instructors tell us to tuck the pelvis. If you have osteo in the spine you want to maintain neutral spine and not tuck. From listening to the cue to tuck my pelvis for so many years, I spent four months in PT focusing on relearning to exercise with a neutral spine.
I agree, Pat, neutral spine is very important! I remember Teresa Tapp's workouts had one tucking the tailbone at all times. It ended up giving me a sore back.

I'd also check out Margaret Martin's MelioGuide:

https://melioguide.com/

In her DVD, she even has you put a rolled towel in the curve of your back for floor exercises to maintain the curve.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 02:52 PM  
LAC

If you've been doing pilates for 8 years and you enjoy it, you can probably keep doing it, although you might need some modifications. Sherri Betz from Therapilates offers a poster that shows pilates movements to avoid and some that are considered beneficial: http://www.therapilates.com/Safe%20P...Flyer-2016.pdf

I've bought all of the osteoporosis pilates DVDs and never find myself reaching for any of them. I wasn't a fan of pilates to start with and still don't click with it.

For non-pilates osteoporosis instruction, Margaret Martin (mentioned above by Vintage VFer) offers a lot of free clips on youtube. I like Michelle Kenway too. She is a bit more focused on the pelvic floor than osteoporosis, but she offers some clips on youtube too. I just recently purchased two downloads from Michelle's website, but haven't used them yet.

ETA - Just wanted to add that I don't think it is unusual to feel paranoid when you first receive an osteoporosis diagnosis. When I first found out, I was afraid to do much of anything, thinking my bones were going to shatter into bits if I didn't bubble wrap myself and sit in a corner. Now it's four years later and while I'm aware of it, I don't dwell on it. And so far, knock wood, I've not had any fractures.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 07:03 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
If you've been doing pilates for 8 years and you enjoy it, you can probably keep doing it, although you might need some modifications. Sherri Betz from Therapilates offers a poster that shows pilates movements to avoid and some that are considered beneficial: http://www.therapilates.com/Safe%20P...Flyer-2016.pdf

I've bought all of the osteoporosis pilates DVDs and never find myself reaching for any of them. I wasn't a fan of pilates to start with and still don't click with it.

For non-pilates osteoporosis instruction, Margaret Martin (mentioned above by Vintage VFer) offers a lot of free clips on youtube. I like Michelle Kenway too. She is a bit more focused on the pelvic floor than osteoporosis, but she offers some clips on youtube too. I just recently purchased two downloads from Michelle's website, but haven't used them yet.

ETA - Just wanted to add that I don't think it is unusual to feel paranoid when you first receive an osteoporosis diagnosis. When I first found out, I was afraid to do much of anything, thinking my bones were going to shatter into bits if I didn't bubble wrap myself and sit in a corner. Now it's four years later and while I'm aware of it, I don't dwell on it. And so far, knock wood, I've not had any fractures.
Thanks! Lots of good information in these posts.
Old 02-10-20, 08:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I agree, Pat, neutral spine is very important! I remember Teresa Tapp's workouts had one tucking the tailbone at all times. It ended up giving me a sore back.

I'd also check out Margaret Martin's MelioGuide:

https://melioguide.com/

In her DVD, she even has you put a rolled towel in the curve of your back for floor exercises to maintain the curve.
Thank you!!!

PS - veering off topic, but balance work is mandatory.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 12:38 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you!!!

PS - veering off topic, but balance work is mandatory.
Yes and balance is included in both my pilates and yoga classes.

Tags
osteoporosis, pilates