Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-20, 08:26 AM  
JezthePuff2

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm 49 with no gray hair, and I'm blonde so it would be hard to see when I do get them. But I know I'll be dying my hair. I think some people look fine with gray, but I wouldn't be one of them.

Ellen is naturally gorgeous. Her hair could be any color and she'd still look fabulous.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 08:27 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
I think Ellen looks fab-u-lous. I have typical Celtic colouring - very dark brunette with milk bottle fair skin and started to go grey in my late 20s, just like my parents. I coloured it for years but finally got fed up with getting my roots done every 4 weeks. The pepe-le-pew look wasn’t very flattering. It took me several months to get my hair to its now natural colour, which is platinum blonde. I haven’t completely embraced the natural look, as I get some highlights done every few months.

I was worried about looking 10 years older but everyone says I look much younger, probably because the dark hair and fair skin was more ageing as I got older. My hair is thick and used to be like straw. It’s in much better condition now. Best of all, my DH loves being married to a blonde.
Margot, I'm another dark-haired woman who's gone blonde instead of gray. I was graying all around my face, nowhere else, and got tired of getting my roots touched up and then two weeks later, pulling my hair back into a ponytail and seeing the grays sneaking back around my hairline.

I asked my colorist to do Bonnie Raitt-type big gray stripes around my face, but she said pulling a gray color through from roots to tips would change my texture, and I'd have a weird mix of curly hair and straight gray patches. Nope. Instead, she lightened my overall dark brown to medium and added blonde highlights.

Over the last few years, we've increased the highlights and about six months ago she brought up my base color to a warm golden blonde. I'm letting the grays/whites grow into the blonde and my colorist has mixed in some platinum streaks. It's very Beyonce When She Went Platinum Blonde and I love it.

On the maintenance scale, it's less work than keeping ahead of the grays in my previously dark hair. I have to condition a lot and treat my hair gently, but I'm enjoying the look as a fun transition to gray.
Old 01-28-20, 08:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
I think Ellen looks fab-u-lous. I have typical Celtic colouring - very dark brunette with milk bottle fair skin and started to go grey in my late 20s, just like my parents. I coloured it for years but finally got fed up with getting my roots done every 4 weeks. The pepe-le-pew look wasn’t very flattering. It took me several months to get my hair to its now natural colour, which is platinum blonde. I haven’t completely embraced the natural look, as I get some highlights done every few months.

I was worried about looking 10 years older but everyone says I look much younger, probably because the dark hair and fair skin was more ageing as I got older. My hair is thick and used to be like straw. It’s in much better condition now. Best of all, my DH loves being married to a blonde.
Hmm, you're tempting me. I have the same exact coloring. If I could guarantee platinum blonde ... but when my Mom went natural her hair was a dark iron gray that wouldn't look good on me.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 08:55 AM  
Diana3271

I agree Ellen's hair is gorgeous! I am completely grey now and started going grey in my 20's. I have very fine, thin hair. I am fair complected and my natural hair color was dark brown. I have continued to dye it that color. Unfortunately, I don't think going grey would be a good look for me.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 09:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I always thought if I ever let myself go completely gray I would add purple or blue streaks to it. I've seen people do that. Not sure how that would look on me. I also wear my hair longish, past my shoulders and I wouldn't want to wear it short. I may check out that instagram group for ideas.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 09:21 AM  
sbh

I finally let my hair go all gray. I have been gray since my 20s and I just got sick of coloring it every two months. I have fine thin hair. It has never had any body to it. Even now. I still have some dark brown hair around my ears and the back of my neck. Funny, when it is wet, it is all brown again.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 09:38 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I know I am in the minority but I think gray hair is aging, no matter how pretty and well maintained.
That is often the case, and the reason I probably won't do it myself until I'm closer to 60. But I'm also vain as hell.

Sometimes going grey just "fits" a person, though, ya know? Like my aunt started to let hers go grey in her 40s and it just looked...right. But she lives in Alaska, is very down-to-earth and outdoorsy and has never really fussed about her looks. She's got such a dynamic, warm and engaging personality that people rarely notice her hair.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 09:53 AM  
sherry7899

Ellen looks beautiful!

My hair doesn't go gray like hers. I have very dark curly hair and VERY pale skin. My hair mainly goes gray in the front. Once in awhile I get the front colored by "threading" (I forget the real term) because supposedly that is not as noticeable when it grows back as dyeing the whole section of gray. I've only gotten it done twice. It is expensive and I hate going. I can't dye at home because my face broke out from the dye. I wear soft cloth wide headbands a lot to attempt to cover some of the gray (but who am I kidding ) My hair is extremely dry, and the gray makes it look even more dry.

I am going to try to deep condition more often to see if moisture helps with the texture.

I hate the gray but I can't afford the upkeep of getting it colored every two months. I also don't want to spend the time doing that.

My mom has naturally VERY dark hair and has gone to lighter warm brown. She has a different skin tone than I do. It looks very nice on her, but she doesn't mind the upkeep.

I don't look good with lighter hair. I had a disaster job of lighter streaks in middle school. I look even more pale and washed out with lighter hair.

Oh, well. It's just hair....

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 10:10 AM  
prettyinpink

She looks great.

I think some of the people that celebrate grey hair also are still dying their hair, though. They do highlights or color adjusters to help with harshness or yellow tones. There is an actress I saw not long ago who was talking about embracing her age and finally going grey, but she also said she regularly sees the colorist for help because she doesn’t love her natural grey.

So I think a lot of images we see in the media are not actually completely “natural” grey hair. At least colorist science has progressed beyond the “blue” hair that our grandmothers had when they tried to brighten up the white and grey.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 10:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Prettyinpink I agree with you!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ellen barrett, going gray, gray hair, grey hair, hair