Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-19, 10:11 PM  
Scorpio6

This thread is so helpful, thanks for bringing all this up.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 10:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Joni....I know you know this...but I never lift heavy anymore. I just do Ellen, Jessica, Barre3 or a short little 10 minute weights workout.

I think a lot of it has to do with your body type/composition and how you feel in your body. The only times I dabbled in heavy lifting was in a gym and doing CLX. I don't like how I feel or look lifting heavy weights and it doesn't seem to enhance my health.

I think if you love lifting heavy...go for it. But we all know the best workout is the one you like, will do, and can be consistent with.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 11:21 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
This is why I like Debra Atkinson of flipping 50. She has you do heavy weights only 2 days per week and more for the larger muscle groups, press, squat, rows for bone density. Most of the workouts can be a short as 10 minutes or as long as 45 minutes if you add in the smaller muscles. she even recommends if you have a gym membership to do machine squats, presses, rows and presses as heavy as you can. She does very little shoulder work, and when she does it is very light weights, like 3 lbs. After those 2 weight sessions the rest of the week is mine to do cardio, yoga or even very light weights with high reps.
That is what I started doing, light weights for shoulder work and heavier for the larger muscle groups. I use five and eight pounds.

I also find that my form affected a lot of my shoulder strain. I was hunching my shoulders, instead of holding them back and down.
Old 10-02-19, 12:43 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

I think a lot of it has to do with your body type/composition and how you feel in your body. The only times I dabbled in heavy lifting was in a gym and doing CLX. I don't like how I feel or look lifting heavy weights and it doesn't seem to enhance my health.

I think if you love lifting heavy...go for it. But we all know the best workout is the one you like, will do, and can be consistent with.
I so agree with this! I don't know what is best for you. For me, I'm much better off and a lot more likely to stay consistent if I pay attention to the way my body feels and work out (eat, sleep, etc...) accordingly. I live in my body.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 12:59 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Joni....I know you know this...but I never lift heavy anymore. I just do Ellen, Jessica, Barre3 or a short little 10 minute weights workout.

This!
I gravitate towards high rep/low weight cardio/toning workouts like B3, Jessica, & Ellen. I’ve also been dabbling in kettlebells & enjoy the cardio/strength combo they provide.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 05:40 AM  
Carol K

I'm 62, have been doing FIRM workouts since 1989, and I've never lifted as heavy as some people here do. The Bensons said you would never need heavier than a 20 lb weight for a FIRM workout and 15 lbs is the heaviest I own and I rarely use them. But weights are what attracted me to exercise and I can't imagine giving them up. However, I also love BeMax Core & Restore workouts that use balls, yoga moves and a chair for barre work. And the BeMax Flow workouts for yoga. If I was going to get rid of anything, it would be leg press, but I use a dowel for that and I'll do it as long as I can.
Old 10-02-19, 06:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
This is why I like Debra Atkinson of flipping 50. She has you do heavy weights only 2 days per week and more for the larger muscle groups, press, squat, rows for bone density. Most of the workouts can be a short as 10 minutes or as long as 45 minutes if you add in the smaller muscles. she even recommends if you have a gym membership to do machine squats, presses, rows and presses as heavy as you can. She does very little shoulder work, and when she does it is very light weights, like 3 lbs. After those 2 weight sessions the rest of the week is mine to do cardio, yoga or even very light weights with high reps.
Is there a particular video or set of Debra's that you would recommend?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 06:47 AM  
Rhonda

thanks for starting this thread. I feel the same way, heavy weight workouts are not calling my name. I have been using Mark Lauren's bodyweight workouts, and this morning I did a Les Mills CXworx workout.

I do feel soreness in different areas and I don't feel so wiped out anymore. When I do Cathe or another heavy weight workout, I feel like I need to use the heaviest I can, but I need to learn to use what feels right to me.

I can go heavier on lower body but when it is upper body not so much, especially the shoulder area.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 08:02 AM  
Diana3271

Heavier weights as well as body weight are a problem for me, too. Especially exercises that work shoulder/neck areas.

Does Ellen Barrett have a workout that's all standing that I can look into? I don't have anything from her. TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 09:33 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I hear you, Joni!

FYI, here is a recent article from The Atlantic that supports your decision:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...groove/598837/
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, dumbbell size, heavy lifting, light weights, mark lauren