Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-19, 10:00 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Some moves just don't work for us because we aren't built to do them - some moves require longer or shorter arms or legs or a longer or shorter torso to do comfortably and safely.

Donna
I don't think I have the right body type ratio for doing tricep push ups. I can do many regular push ups on my toes, but those damn tricep push ups just feel so awkward to me. Sometimes i do what I can on my knees, but other times I just do tricep kickbacks.

I know my limitations and if a move is too difficult for me I sub it out for something that works for me. I have no problems with modifying if it keeps me injury free!
Old 03-05-19, 11:47 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I was thinking about my reply in this thread (upthread) as I was doing my workout this morning. What I really meant to say is that basic moves can be quite effective when done slowly and with precise form. I think there is no need to try to do moves that you struggle with. Stick to the ones you're able to do and execute really well. I am astounded by how much stronger my core has gotten in the last month, doing fairly basic stuff. It does help to have a trained eye watching, I'll admit.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 12:00 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'm in the PT's office at the moment for a wonky right knee -- this is my third time there for patellofemoral syndrome (not helped by my once flat feet and thus overpronation). And of course, it seems like I am in the PT's office every seven years for this, and I was doing great with kettlebells, lunges, squats, plies and step-ups before this flare-up, so something's gotten irritated and my cartilage isn't where it was 14 years ago I really like working with a physical therapist because it's a "self-starter"("I can help myself") approach that recognizes one's limitations but at the same time doesn't say immediately something is off limits but rather it's about recovery, progression and using training aids if needed for such progression with optimal mechanics (e.g. using a yoga block to bring the ground closer to you in a standing forward bend doesn't mean you're a loser!)

That being said, I am slowly re-starting my standing lower body work but will have to focus more on balance combined with dynamic movements (Jessica Smith's Pilates standing abs workouts are great examples of this!) less deep squats/plies and split squats instead of lunges. This means less DVD/YouTube workouts that move too fast, have too many reps, etc. for me to do these moves in a controlled manner.

I have also always had the daintiest wrists, unlike the rest of me! I blew them out years ago trying to master ashtanga/vinyasa yoga, so nowadays, I mix things up to reduce the stress on my joints (on the toe push-ups combined with on the knee push-ups for weight workouts, doing chaturanga where I go all the way to the ground and then go to cobra mixed with the classic version where you go half-way down and then into up dog). I've pretty much accepted I'll never be the queen of arm balances and handstands!

And finally, after two C-sections, I'm a little wary of doing full wheel backbends in yoga. These used to be a cinch for me, but now I have to be super warmed up and can't go as deeply as I can feel that the scar tissue is there and it doesn't stretch as much...
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 01:49 PM  
Scorpio6

I have had to extensively notate DVDs bc most of them go too fast and I pulled a ligament w/ a Mari Winsor video in 2012 trying to keep up. That means most of the time I have to work from paper/notes instead of having the enjoyment of the DVD. It's aggravating.

I think there is so much competition out there in the fitness field, that a lot of fitness instructors are having difficulty branding themselves and distinguishing themselves from the rest of the pack in order to get business. This means they are going to crazy moves, weird online personas, and stuff that's just too hard for the average person in order to make it seem like they are giving you a really good workout or that they are better than the next guy. They want to keep getting your money. That's the bottom line.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL YOURSELF IN ORDER TO BE FIT. Old-style retro exercises are pretty effective, just add some resistance with a band or weight, do those old moves faster or with more reps, to music of your choice. There's only so much the human body can do. BTW one instructor I can recommend is Debbie Siebers and her Body Dynamix 2 for age 50 and up.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 03:57 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Tuck jumps
Burpees
Too many double foot jumps in a row
Elbow planks
Weights heavier than 15 lb dumbbell
Jumping up and down on the step
Push ups on my toes
Running

(Full disclosure: I attempted to do all of these last year in my quest to abolish this perimenopause middle weight gain. Nothing worked, and I have now ended up with a really wonky shoulder and bad hip. And the perimenopause weight gain didn't budge, it's even more now... )
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 05:28 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Modify! Nobody's judging you. Or even watching.

I used to enjoy tuck jumps and flying lunges. My muscles are still strong enough to do them, but my joints are not -- advanced osteoarthritis in my knee. I have worked with videos since the 1980's and know how to modify. It's one of the reasons I prefer working out in privacy vs. gym classes.

One of the things I appreciated about HIIT4 on beachbody on demand was the modifier for every workout. No, it's not as intense as the unmodified moves but it's good enough. I did the whole program without any injury.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 12:50 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL YOURSELF IN ORDER TO BE FIT.
Thank you for this. I’ve always had the tendency to over do it, get injured and as soon as I heal I over do it again. At 55 it’s no longer working for me.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 03:57 PM  
manleym

For years I had been running 10 miles a week with strength/metcon on the other days. In June I switched running shoes and had to get cortisone shots in both knees because I could barely walk. I was diagnosed with Plica Syndrome. I didn't stop working out but had to be more aware of my body and the workouts I was doing. I haven't run since June until about 2 weeks ago. Ran 6 miles two weeks in a row and am having pain again. All this to say my running days may be over or lessened. It seems like there are some things I can't do as much of as I used to. I'm having to learn to listen to my body and be aware of what it needs/can do for that day. I just turned 51 and am feeling body parts I never knew I had! The old gray mare ain't what she used to be.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 01:13 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

P.S. My left knee is doing better than my right knee but it's all due to skeletal structure (what I was born with and what got exacerbated over time due to pre-existing imbalances). I've always been pretty kind to my knees -- no running, low impact cardio and such. But still lunges, squats and plies were fun and easy a few months ago and now I have to be more careful... and work my way back up to doing them with modifications (smaller range of motion, less acute angles).
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 12:17 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Some moves just don't work for us because we aren't built to do them - some moves require longer or shorter arms or legs or a longer or shorter torso to do comfortably and safely.

I really dislike videos/exercises that seem to be "different" for no point other than being "different", especially if there is a safer and more accessible exercise that could be done in its place. (I hope that makes sense!)

I wouldn't risk injury just to do some move in a video that may or may not be right for your body type, especially if there is a safer substitute.

Donna
That's me. For the life of me, I can't do a rolling back to standing move. Never have. I'm short, big butt, and one slightly wonky knee. Not conducive to the roll to stand.

Which is too bad because they look fun. ;-)

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osteoarthritis, plica