Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-19, 02:40 PM  
Juice

Exactly right Lori in Michigan (fellow Michigander here)! I think one of the keys is to keep it up. After you reach a certain age, once you stop (like I had to post-op), it is very hard - yet not impossible - to come back.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 05:31 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Oh yeah! 60 is definitely middle aged!

I'm 62 and do HIIT classes twice a day, 4 days a week. I end up with 10 classes a week, doing only one on Friday and Saturday and none on Sunday. I also run about 10 miles a week and do two strength sessions (upper and lower) on 2 days. My HIIT classes are intense! 45 minutes long with my heart rate staying in the high range almost all the way through.

I am very fortunate that so far I don't have any joint issues to stop me. I will say that my heart is in better shape than most of the young people in my classes. We wear heart monitors that show our stats on TV monitors throughout the gym.
Are you calling your Bootcamp classes HIIT? I’m curious bc real HIIT training is super intense and last 15-30 mins. It’s a cardio activity. HR over 80% of max.

Bootcamp/Circuit training is endurance cardio so we may be able to last 45 mins. How long are the intervals in these classes? I’m curious to know what Gym is offering HIIT for 45 mins

Maybe is the 2lazy4gym effect. She calls anything cardio intense HIIT.
Old 01-21-19, 06:04 PM  
rhbrand

Does super heavy lifting count as intense? I am working on getting my deadlift up to and then over 300lbs, and my squat over 250lbs.

If it were convenient I'd still be going to Crossfit, but the nearest box is a 35 min drive one way, and the class times don't jive well with my work schedule. I do miss going to Crossfit.

I'm 48 right now.
Old 01-22-19, 12:32 AM  
Jewels5

I'm 51 and love high intensity/low impact workouts. I'll do the occasional air jacks but my feet and joints can't take much more. I love the feeling of getting my heart rate up to relieve stress. It's weird because the older I get I can't do straight cardio without it being a kickboxing type workout or a metabolic conditioning workout...I get way too bored and/or impatient.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 04:18 AM  
walkrtalkr

62 years young, still crushin’ it.....just finished my 8th FULL marathon (26.2 miles) still no injuries....attribute this to being fitness instructor for over 30 years, good stretching and a healthy lifestyle💕🏃*♀️👟🎈
walkrtalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 06:14 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

I am 59 (will be 60 in March) and I still love intense workouts. I still run, do all of Cathe's workouts, etc. I have also been doing Peloton's spinning workouts. I know they are non impact, but to me they are intense So far, (and I know it can change at anytime) I have no injuries or problems.

ETA correct age lol
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 06:24 AM  
Lannette

I think that the point that you don’t necessarily need impact to have activity be intense is very valid. When we back country CC Ski or Hike there’s not much impact but it can certainly be very intense, especially with the added weight of my metal edged skis.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 11:24 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My heart says go - my joints say no.
I hear you, sister!

I was never a high intensity workout fan, so I can't say I miss it.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 01:37 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm 55 and in the group where kinder gentler workouts ARE a sweatfest.

In my 40's I was into Crossfit and other intense workouts. Today I still like to lift heavy, but I try to do the simplest and least I can get away with. I mainly want to maintain my health without getting injured. I won't stop doing high impact because it's good for my bones, but I limit it to short bursts.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 02:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Sharaz, I agree that it seems all intense workouts are being called HiIT these days. And they really aren't, at least by the original definitions. The point was to go to the wall with brief rests in a cycle for no more than 15-20 minutes as you stated. I think that even Cathe (whose disk with the three HiIT workouts are "legitimately" HiIT IMHO) stretches the definition with the two Circuit upper and lower body workouts on the Ripped with HiIT series. They are longer than standard, and my heart rate doesn't really go up and down much as is what High Intensity interval workouts are supposed to do? My heart rate pretty much goes up and stays up consistently.

That said, and I agree completely that intensity doesn't always mean impact, I'm still pushing it as much as I can. Not every day, but I didn't push it every day when I was in my twenties either. Rest is important.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, high intensity, intense workouts