Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-19, 09:38 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
61 here. I need high intensity but low impact. Still love burpees... but do them with sliders. I need the intensity for mental health. Gentle workouts are fine when they are planned but I need intensity (at this point with heavy kbells mainly) at least 3 times a week. The rest is fine with pilates, barre, yoga, spinning or rowing.
Macska you are my inspiration! I am going to be 55 in a couple months and I never thought I'd still be doing Impact, but you're still kickin' it. I don't do tuck jumps anymore and my intervals are no longer than 45 seconds, but I need to challenge myself.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:38 AM  
severin817

I'm 48 and I still love high intensity workouts with a mix of high and moderate impact. I'm still teaching 9 classes a week after 20 years of teaching but only 5 of them are intense.

Like others here, intense workouts clear my mind and keep me sane. As I've gotten older I've started incorporating foam rolling and stretching. Occasionally I'll do Yin Yoga from Travis Eliot's Ultimate Yogi when I'm feeling really tight in the hips and hamstrings. I take the weekends off from intensity and just focus on heavy compound lifting. I've had injuries in the past but thankfully no joint issues. Usually they're caused by muscle tightness and imbalance.

Hopefully by maintaining balance I'll be able to keep doing what I love for years to come.

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:43 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Oh hell yes I love a good sweat fest!! No you’re not a dying breed, at least not in my opinion. I’m 53 and thoroughly enjoy it. Of course I can’t do Cathes Afterburn and Crossfire on consecutive days like I used to but I train smarter now. I am trying to embrace Pilates and yoga but I feel “off” and almost groggy if I don’t do something that raises my heart rate. I know Pilates and yoga can do that for people but I’m too antsy. And yes I have to take quick breaks and modify (hate tuck jumps) but if I’m feeling strong I’ll do them.

I’m happy and willing to challenge myself but also give my body what it needs when necessary. Plus like others....it helps my mental state to exert all that energy to be able to relax.
Muggle I knew you would chime in. I have gotten great workout recommendations from you. You encouraged me to try Yvette's workouts. A good one for intensity.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 10:33 AM  
clerkin11

I'll be 54 this week and I LOVE a good sweatfest.
I do keep it mostly low impact, or do higher impact moves on my jumpsport, but love the feeling of pushing myself and the endorphins I get.
So I guess I prefer high intensity, low impact, but I know how to modify any workout to make them that way.
What I'm really bad at is incorporating yoga or foam rolling or stretching workouts and I need to do that more. I have this old mindset from when I was younger that doing those workouts were a waste of time because they don't burn as many calories and I don't have all the time in the world to work out. But, I know that is incorrect thinking, and sometimes my body really feels my age
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 12:09 PM  
kat999

I'll be 44 this year, and I think for me there's a difference between intensity and impact. I can run six miles at a moderate pace to break an intense sweat, burn a TON of calories, and fuel up on those feel-good, stress-busting endorphins, but I also wouldn't call that "high impact," which I've always hated even when I was in my 20s. It's not even join pain for me, it's the explosive movements that are just sort of not feasible with my particular physiology, I've figured out (my legs are very short respective to my frame, and I'm a pear shape with heavy thighs even though I'm slender, which means that using my legs for explosive moves is weirdly difficult). I do HIIT training and modify some of it, but mostly I do keep it very intense, but then I also like doing slow, sustained weight lifting sessions, yoga, and Pilates. For me, it's consistency and variety: consistency of working out on average 6 days a week for 30-120 minutes a day, and the variety of mixing lengths, intensity, and type of workout so I don't get bored and maintain muscle confusion. Other than specific exercises that are tough for me due to injury or my aforementioned physiology, I do not think I have "lightened up" my workouts one bit as I've gotten older. If anything, I have increased my intensity.

Last edited by kat999; 01-20-19 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 12:28 PM  
seww

ME!!
I'm 60 and love a crazy intense WO! (High impact too)
Though not for an entire hour. I do have 1 foot that had a break where my toe meets the ball of my foot and can be painful and I've torn my left ACL twice.

Sue

PS...I also consider 60 middle aged
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 12:37 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I'll be 44 this year, and I think for me there's a difference between intensity and impact. I can run six miles at a moderate pace to break an intense sweat, burn a TON of calories, and fuel up on those feel-good, stress-busting endorphins, but I also wouldn't call that "high impact," which I've always hated even when I was in my 20s.
Good for you having tremendous energy and motivation, but running is definitely high impact. For you it may not be high intensity but the impact is there.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 12:53 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My heart says go - my joints say no.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 01:01 PM  
upperwside

I am 46, and am loving lower intensity workouts. That said.. I also like to kick it up still once in a while.. feels good and its fun.. but not all the time.. makes me too hungry and sore. I'm loving LEK Fit Bounce and Sculpt. Bounce is a mix.. cardio on the rebounder and some high impact floor.. and sculpting. I love it all.. but the floor part makes me feel like I still got it without going over board. I can keep up with those 20 year old's just fine!!! I also bought Hamelin's 6 month cardio series, once workout is cardio sculpt and low impact, the other is high impact cardio and I love it!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 01:01 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by seww View Post
ME!!
I'm 60 and love a crazy intense WO! (High impact too)
Though not for an entire hour. I do have 1 foot that had a break where my toe meets the ball of my foot and can be painful and I've torn my left ACL twice.

Sue

PS...I also consider 60 middle aged
Thank you for this! I consider 60+ middle aged as well.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, high intensity, intense workouts