Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-17, 04:07 PM  
Snuckles

Kettlebell Program Help

Hey VF family! It's been a while

I was wondering if someone could recommend a kettlebell series. I am looking to lose fat in a big way, so I'm looking for metabolic workouts. I'll take paper, streaming or DVD doesn't matter.

I already have various KBKB series and at least 1 of Lauren's workouts.

I know a few folks on here were very heavy in KB in the past and was wondering if you could make some suggestions.

I took a look at Pat Flynn's site and am wondering if it's worth it to join to get his previous challenges like Extreme 21 Day Kettlebell Challenge. My only fear is that a lot of his stuff might require double kettlebells and not sure I'm ready for that yet. So any input on his challenges would be great.

Thank you
Old 12-05-17, 08:46 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I like pretty much everything put out by Lauren Brooks. If you don't mind streaming, it may be worth it to invest in a month of her site Lauren's Playground (currently $30 per month). It is pricey, but there is so much there, and most programs have downloadable written workouts that you can keep. DVD-wise, Kettlebell Incinerator is a good one. She has good sales fairly frequently.

My other go-to kettlebell workout is RKS. I sometimes do swing programs from Tracey Reifkind, too.

Body By Amy has quite a few kettlebell offerings on YouTube, but she goes a bit faster than I like to with kettlebells.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 10:02 AM  
chelzi

Fitness is function is only $5 for the download. Offers a month's worth of premixes. I found it very accessible for a beginner.

https://www.onnit.com/fitness-is-fun...ettlebell-dvd/

Sarah Lurie's 4-CD set is also a bargain even if only two of the DVD's are especially beginner friendly.
https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Core-Ket...dp/B005FRWTSO/
Her Kettlebells for Dummies book also has some good paper workouts. I found her book more useful than Lauren Brooks' or Lorna Kleidman's books.
chelzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 12:26 PM  
Snuckles

Thank you for your responses. I may wind up doing the Scorcher Series and tagging on finishers or swings.

Can you tell me a bit about Tracey Reifkind swing programs? Is it her just there doing swings with you? Or does she have variations on the swings? Just seems strange to purchase a swing program.
Old 12-05-17, 04:07 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
Can you tell me a bit about Tracey Reifkind swing programs? Is it her just there doing swings with you? Or does she have variations on the swings? Just seems strange to purchase a swing program.
You don't have to purchase a program, she has the workouts on her SwingLean site:

https://swinglean.com/the-swing-workouts/

She also posts workouts on YouTube.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 12:32 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

HUGE Lauren Brooks fan here -- I am mostly using Vol 1, Vol 2 and Kettlebell Incinerator right now but have a number of her other DVDs that I need to crack open (I tried two segments of Kettlebell Lightning and that was pretty good too but not likely to be my favorite since I have to modify a few things like front lunges but it's otherwise a solid workout too). I also have Shut Up and Train which a step down in intensity from my "top three" favorites so good for re-starting or a lighter day

I also enjoy KCM's Slim Sculpting and Strength & Stamina (both feature kettlebells), Angie Miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp (modify to more traditional swings if some of the variations seem awkward... this is seen as a "kettlebell lite" workout by most but I use my 8 kg bell for most moves here & note that it's very cardio-intensive) and Anthony Diluglio's The Kettlebell Way to Your Perfect Body, Vol. 1: A New "Providence" (there's also the original version of Art of Strength: Providence that some prefer because it's just Anthony on his own... I was just too cheap to acquire another almost-identical workout!)
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 04:48 PM  
neatski

Oooo so glad someone asked this question! So I’ve done Lauren Brooks and AOS, and I felt that they were really good for honing my technique, but I really wanted SHORT, fun and interesting workouts with lots of variety of movements (not just pure kettlebells, also some functional movement, bodyweight exercises, etc.). I ADORE Zuzka Light’s workouts for exactly this reason. Her latest low impact series (lower body and full body) fit the bill. They use other equipment beyond kettlebells (jump rope, sliding discs, pull-up bar), which I love because I get bored holding a kettlebell for a full 20 mins. They are fast paced, metabolic, and tough! I use heavy bells, extend the time to approx 20 mins, and double the reps for challenge, but they are great as is. Lauren and Anthony are excellent teachers, but Zuzka’s creativity won me over.

(As far as results go, after my post partum time with #2, I started doing Zuzka workouts again in about May or June. I work out 20 mins 6 days a week + warmup and stretching. I am just as lean and strong as I was before ever having a baby, and with minimal time investment per day.)

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 06:55 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Oooo so glad someone asked this question! So I’ve done Lauren Brooks and AOS, and I felt that they were really good for honing my technique, but I really wanted SHORT, fun and interesting workouts with lots of variety of movements (not just pure kettlebells, also some functional movement, bodyweight exercises, etc.). I ADORE Zuzka Light’s workouts for exactly this reason. Her latest low impact series (lower body and full body) fit the bill. They use other equipment beyond kettlebells (jump rope, sliding discs, pull-up bar), which I love because I get bored holding a kettlebell for a full 20 mins. They are fast paced, metabolic, and tough! I use heavy bells, extend the time to approx 20 mins, and double the reps for challenge, but they are great as is. Lauren and Anthony are excellent teachers, but Zuzka’s creativity won me over.

(As far as results go, after my post partum time with #2, I started doing Zuzka workouts again in about May or June. I work out 20 mins 6 days a week + warmup and stretching. I am just as lean and strong as I was before ever having a baby, and with minimal time investment per day.)
Are you using Zuzka Light streaming? I wish she would put more DVDs out.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 07:21 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Are you using Zuzka Light streaming? I wish she would put more DVDs out.
Yes, but I actually don’t particularly care for follow along workouts right now due to my time constraints, so I preview the moves and then just follow the written workout at my own pace. However, all of her streaming workouts have a follow along video now.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 08:45 PM  
Snuckles

Oh goodness . . . now I must make a choice Zuzka Light streaming or Lauren Brooks Playground?!?!? Zuzka's monthly cost is more reasonable than Laurens, hmmmmm

Really loving the idea of Zuzka's Low Impact Series!

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell program