Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-16, 12:20 PM  
TinaT

Thanks for the heads up on previewing first. I love that she has added variety to her workout routine.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 05:47 PM  
lorajc

Thumbs down

Tina.....I got this cuz of late insomnia notes and infomercial city....they say it's low impact...thus my intrigue....trying a few....although I like them for a change up...I can't seedling adoration as idfindit too much on my shoulders....I also modify....but getting on ebay for a deal....you may even want to pepper them inlikeme.....although I was discouraged as I can't see losing weight and burning calories like the infomercial speaks of....good luck and have fun....your menopausal sis!!!!

Last edited by lorajc; 03-17-16 at 05:49 PM. Reason: No thumbs down
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 07:44 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Tina.....I got this cuz of late insomnia notes and infomercial city....they say it's low impact...thus my intrigue....trying a few....although I like them for a change up...I can't seedling adoration as idfindit too much on my shoulders....I also modify....but getting on ebay for a deal....you may even want to pepper them inlikeme.....although I was discouraged as I can't see losing weight and burning calories like the infomercial speaks of....good luck and have fun....your menopausal sis!!!!
Tina was asking about her daughter using them, not her.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 09:13 AM  
GinaXOXO

I honestly think your daughter will do great with PiYo and maybe even become an addict. She is young and I would guess that her core is stronger than many of ours. So, don't be discouraged. But, like with everything, and IMO especially with PiYo remind her to listen to her body first and foremost.

I did the rotation a while ago and loved it at first. So, I don't remember specifically what Chalene said but something along the lines that it is ok that it hurts a little because that is just your body getting stronger. So, there were poses that hurt my back a little. And by the end of the rotation I was sore even when I wasn't doing that pose (one pose was the side reaching plank--maybe i was doing it wrong but that always hurt my low back). So, I ended up not loving it.

What is SO interesting to me is that others felt the same way. Enthusiastic at first and later having a negative opinion. I didn't come here back then and I thought I was the only one. I felt bad telling friends that it was great.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 10:10 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
What is SO interesting to me is that others felt the same way. Enthusiastic at first and later having a negative opinion. I didn't come here back then and I thought I was the only one. I felt bad telling friends that it was great.
I think that's normal with bandwagons and how bandwagons are able to pick up so much steam and members.

Really savvy shoppers wait for a few months to a year after a new product is out to hear about all the unanticipated problems and issues. But, when you are avid about your favorite activity, it's really hard to hold back and wait.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 12:21 PM  
GinaXOXO

Chomper you are 100% right. One disadvantage is that the workouts I am doing right now aren't talked about as much and I kind of miss doing it with a group. It is really motivating to see comments from someone doing the same workout rotation about their gains.

That said, it is very wise to wait and see if the workout stands the test of time and it is normally cheaper a year later.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 05:56 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am 51, and I did 3 weeks of almost nothing but PiYo in Feb. I had been having issues with my right shoulder, and 3 weeks off of weights really helped me. The only reason I stopped doing it exclusively, is because I get bored with rotations I still do 1 PiYo most weeks. Some of the moves are challenging. My 26 yr old DD is doing it too. I have to modify some moves, like the burpees. Other than that, I like it. Oh, I have done every workout except the two on the bonus dvd that use the slides. I haven't got to those yet
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 08:34 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=superfit41;2620578I have to modify some moves, like the burpees. [/QUOTE]

This is what drives me crazy about PiYo....seriously, burpees? In a Pilates-yoga fusion workout??

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 02:12 PM  
Leonana

A friend in her 40's likes PiYo. However, she doesn't do it exclusively, and rotates it with other Beachbody systems.
Old 03-19-16, 02:43 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
This is what drives me crazy about PiYo....seriously, burpees? In a Pilates-yoga fusion workout??
I agree, when teaching or taking PiYo or Pop Pilates I omit the high impact moves such as burpees and plank jacks. I don't see the purpose behind the exercise in these formats. The majority of the population cannot safely perform one Burpee, and when I watch my instructional DVD I cringe at the cast members form.

Too many formats are shoulder heavy IMO

Tags
chalene johnson, piyo