Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-14, 08:28 AM  
Chomper

BJ Gaddour's Bodyweight Muscle Burners

I just previewed this yesterday.

There are 3 30-minute workouts. They are all 4 base moves done for 60 seconds of work and 15 seconds of rest. It starts with the easiest variation of the exercises as a built-in warmup, and the exercise variations get progressively harder, until by the end he's doing crazy things like handstand pushups and pistol squats.

The Punisher's 4 base exercises are hip thrusts, push ups, squats and rows. For equipment, you need a step, or piece of furniture like a chair or ottoman, the wall. Optional equipment: an equalizer or other bar for inverted rows (he even mentioned using a table), sofa cushions, med ball.

The Total Body Terror's 4 moves are hip hinges, vertical push-up, 1-leg squats, vertical pulls. Equipment: the wall, a towel, step or box, chair, cushions. Optional equipment: pull-up bar.

The Core Crusher's 4 moves are crunch (working your way to hanging leg raises), split squats, bridges and hamstring curls, and push ups. Equipment: step, box or chair, cushions. Optional equip: pull up bar, suspension trainer.

The bonus workout is called the Burpee Blitz. I think it's 20 minutes and looks really cool. It alternates burpees and backwards burpees until you're going forwards and backwards. The work to rest ratio seems to change a bit, but is generally 40 seconds work, 20 seconds rest. You start out using a step or box or chair in the the first round or two, then you're just on the floor.

Ok so first impressions: the workouts are structured in a way that looks very balanced to get a total body workout and that is very good. The one drawback is that while he gives you exercises you can do if you don't have a pull-up bar for pull-ups and inverted rows, they do not look like they are nearly as challenging. It seems to me I won't get the full effectiveness of these workouts unless I find a way to set up a pull-up bar. We don't have standard doors, so the cheaper doorway pull-up bar won't work for us. I am wandering around my home looking for a good spot for a wall-mounted pull-up bar...

ETA: I forgot to add that there is a bonus disc. It is called the Bodyweight Eight, and provides a good 5-10 minutes demonstration and breakdown of what BJ considers each of the 8 bodyweight exercise categories. I haven't watched them all yet, but found the first couple very informative. He discusses proper form and even how to increase your mobility in order to do the exercises.

Last edited by Chomper; 05-20-14 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 02:28 PM  
Chomper

Oh, if the emphasis on pull-up bars or lack thereof is making anybody hesitate, he posted this list of bar-free options on his blog today:

http://www.bjgaddour.com/bar-free-op...s-and-pull-ups

I am not sure the door pull-ups will work for me, but it looks cool!
Old 05-26-14, 10:30 AM  
Chomper

I did the 20 minute Burpee Blitz yesterday and it was awesome. You start with easier variations of the burpee and backwards burpee as a built-in warm up. The backwards burpee is squatting down, rolling onto your back, then rolling forward and standing up with a jump. I used some puzzle mats for the backwards burpees.

It's a 40 seconds work/20 seconds of rest format. You alternate burpee and backwards burpee, and each round the variation of burpee or backwards burpee gets progressively more difficult. One-arm burpees, one-leg burpees, then one-arm, one-leg (opposites) burpees. He adds in the push-up and jump to make the variations harder as well.

I was having a lot of trouble standing back up from the backwards burpee without crossing my legs. So I used an arm to help push myself back up. I hope to improve there. The backwards burpee gets more difficult with a one-leg (pistol squat) variation. I have been working on strap-assisted pistol squats for the past couple of months, and can now go down into a pistol squat and hold it, but can't get back up yet. So it was a lot of fun to discover I could lower in a pistol squat, roll onto my back, then roll forward again. When I can raise back up in pistol position, I will rejoice.

There is a lot of room to grow in this workout! I couldn't do the 1-arm 1-leg burpees either. I can do 1-arm 1-leg planks, so I am sure I will get there with more practice.

At the end, you combine the burpee + backwards burpee for the ultimate burpee variation. It is pretty crazy!
Old 05-26-14, 02:42 PM  
bee1forfitness

Wow...Chomper these sound good to me, thanks for the review, keep them coming
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:31 PM  
Chomper

The Punisher: (60 seconds work/15 seconds rest)

1. Hip Thrust, shoulders elevated
2. Pushup Hold
3. Wall Sit
4. Handless Rows against wall
5. Feet-elevated Hip Thrust
6. Hand Release Pushup to superman hold
7. Box Squats
8. Extended Range of motion handless rows/inverted rows
9. Elevated Hip Thrust
10. Self -Assisted 1-Arm Pushups
11. Deep Squats
12. Towel Row/ 1-hand Towel Inverted Rows
13. 1-Leg Shoulder Elevated Hip Thrust
14. Side to Side Pushup
15. Close Stance Deep Squats
16. Side to Side Handless Rows/Side to Side Inverted Rows
17. Foot Elevated 1-leg Hip Thrust
18. Alt. 1-Arm Eccentric Pushups
19. Arms Overhead Deep Squats
20. Towel Pushup Rows/1-Arm Eccentric Inverted Rows
21. Elevated 1-Leg Hip Thrust
22. Alt. 1-Arm Pushups
23. Iso Hold Jump Squats
24. Alt. 1-Arm Handless Rows/1-Arm Inverted Rows

Really enjoy this- it went by really fast!

I had great back and chest DOMS from this workout, but my legs didn't feel challenged enough. (I do have a strong lower body) Next time I do this, I will add dumbbells to the squats and a barbell to the hip thrusts.
Old 06-12-14, 05:38 PM  
Chomper

The Total Body Terror (60 seconds work/15 seconds rest):

1. Standing hip hinge
2. Dirty Dog
3. 1-Leg Wall sit
4. Crucifix hold against the wall
5. hip hinge, staggered stance
6. push away against wall/floor push away
7. staggered stance squat
8. towel pull-down/dead hang from pullup bar
9. 1-leg hip hinge
10. pike pushup
11. alternating lateral pistol squats (deep side lunge)
12. towel curl hold/chinup hold
13. 1-arm 1-leg hip hinge
14. iso handstand
15. 1-leg squat on box
16. X plank/eccentric chinups
17. 1-arm 1-leg (opposites) hip hinge
18. handstand pushups
19. elevated pistol squats
20. super plank/pullups
21. 1-leg hip hinge to leg raise
22. 1-arm push away with wall
23. pistol squats with counterbalance
24. towel curl/1-arm assisted chinup, towel hold

Loved this one, too! I can't do pull ups or handstands, so I stayed with earlier exercises and did not progress to the harder versions. Loved the leg work, but will add dumbbells for the hip hinge exercises next time. I have back DOMS again, just from dead hangs and eccentric chinups (slowly lowering).
Old 06-12-14, 08:44 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

Where did you purchase this set?

MariaW
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 09:05 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
Where did you purchase this set?

MariaW
I have these same workouts and I purchased through rodalestore.com. I was able to get 25% off with a code. If you check old threads you should be able you find it and maybe it will still work.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 02:01 PM  
Chomper

The coupon code is: customer25
Old 06-13-14, 02:04 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

Thank you both for the information.

MariaW
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags