Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-14, 08:33 PM  
juberann

Barre/Pilates for Arthritis........???

So, after months of suffering with pain in the back of my left knee and having it radiate down to my calf muscle and sometimes my ankle (the same ankle that has multiple injuries from my youth) I finally had it checked out and, sure enough, I have arthritis in my knee and my ankle. Hard diagnosis for me for a few reasons....one, I truly am getting older (I'm 50) and, two, I feel guilty for letting it get me down when so many are dealing with way more serious issues.
I don't want to go the medication route yet (the side effects can be worse then the arthritis from my research) but I do feel I need to rethink my exercise routine. My doctor told me that the repetitive nature of Leslie's walks may be making my condition worse so I am putting aside all but her most recent since the new ones have more varied movements and not the stand in place walking. Not really sure if I buy the advice but I am willing to put faith in it for awhile.
Thinking about backing off on the weighted squats and lunges (I have been doing ALOT of those) and concentrating more on Pilates/Barre.
Has anyone with arthritis in their knees had any luck easing their symptoms with these methods? Weight work simply hurts right now so I know that needs to go for awhile

Any advice from sufferers of arthritis? this is all new to me so ANY advice will be DEEPLY appreciated (I have little faith in traditional Doctors right now and my insurance does not cover Chiropractic care or a Message Therapy so those two options are out).
Thanks for any advice

Oh yeah, just watched the clip for BarreAmped (not the BootCamp one) with Suzanne Bowen and really like the looks of that one.....any comment on that one?
Old 01-23-14, 08:47 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Judy, I don't have arthritis (yet! it runs very heavily in my family, though) but I've found barre to be very, very therapeutic. I've only done Suzanne's online workouts, but I think she's a fine instructor who will set you up nicely if you go the barre route.

Any access to a pool? My MIL has very bad osteoarthritis and has found water aerobics to be very helpful. Also tai chi.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 09:09 PM  
juberann

Thanks Nuggie's Auntie it runs in my family, too. On the side of my biological mother. This didn't surprise me especially with the multiple injuries to my left ankle (and I am talking two breaks and at least half a dozen sprains in my 20's and 30's and one sprain not that long ago). It's the knee pain that kills me. I have always been interested in Barre and have tried several videos in the past but just was interested in other styles at the time so never stayed consistant. Now may be the time to really commit.
Also looking at Ballet Physique.......I like the instructors and the music on the clips inspires me.....have you done BP?
Old 01-23-14, 09:17 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Juberann,

I've had arthritis issues for probably 15 years now, and I finally switched to barre work last summer. I still do a few of KCM's and Margaret Richards' weight workouts, but mostly I do Barre3's streaming workouts, and do my cardio on my stationary bike. It has really made a world of difference in how I feel - I can't recommend barre work enough!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 09:32 PM  
juberann

Thank you, Carol I was hoping to hear that because I have always been drawn to Barre, just never committed You don't find it to be hard on your knees? that is my main concern. I need low impact right now
And, by the way, I am sorry you suffer from arthritis, I now understand what people go through
Old 01-23-14, 10:15 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
Thank you, Carol I was hoping to hear that because I have always been drawn to Barre, just never committed You don't find it to be hard on your knees? that is my main concern. I need low impact right now
And, by the way, I am sorry you suffer from arthritis, I now understand what people go through
Juberann,

My arthritis is in my neck, back, wrists, hands and left ankle. So far it has skipped my knees. While I was on my bike, I was thinking about your knee issues and whether barre work would be a good match. I can certainly see how you might have to modify it to baby your knees. I think you mentioned Suzanne Bowen's workouts, but I would encourage you to try Barre3's free 15 day trial for their streaming workouts first. That way you could see if it agrees with your body. I think Suzanne's stuff is more challenging, but I know that you can make Barre3 stuff pretty challenging too. Sadie and her instructors do give lots of modifications in the workouts which I find helpful.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 10:18 PM  
Kiwi Katie

I've been a Pilates instructor for 11 years, an arthritis sufferer for 7 years, and I teach a little bit of barre too. Both Pilates and barre have been great for me and my rheumatologist always tells me to keep doing what I've been doing. It's important to keep those muscles strong to protect the joints.

For a little while my right knee started to hurt and I suspected it could have been the barre workouts - I simply backed off for a while and stuck to floor work until I felt better. The great thing about these two disciplines is that you can scale them down to suit how you're feeling on any given day. If my knees are sore? Perhaps focus on side lying Pilates work instead. Wrists sore? No push ups for me but I can do standing weights work. Shoulders sore? No weights perhaps. Everything too sore? I can still do basic ab work, or just lie on my back and focus on breathing and engaging my deep abdominal muscles.

Pilates and barre (and yoga too) get a big fat yes from me!

Katie
Kiwi Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 11:26 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Judy. My DH has experienced arthritic pain in his neck and back, but since giving up weights and switching to yoga a couple of years ago he's been pain- and incident-free.

I like barre and have plenty of workouts, but like you haven't managed to fully commit. Though some days I'm in the mood for it but boy those moves can hurt! LOL

On the whole I tend to prefer Pilates, which I've found gentler when it comes to my knees. Plus I've taken a number of live classes, both mat and reformer, so I feel more at home with the positioning and alignment.

Good luck finding a method that reduces your physical stress while challenging your fitness!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 11:51 PM  
Scorpio6

Just weighing in here, since I have severe bone on bone arthritis of L hip, plus bone spurs around the knees.

Knees -- very important to keep the quads strong or strengthen them more, so instead of squats and lunges, was taught by PT to do knee lifts, 30x over a folded up towel, 30x over a bolster pillow, 30x w/ legs hanging from the edge of the bed. Also did hamstring clenches sitting on the edge of the bed. Only after I had worked on this for several months was I allowed to try slow wall squats, no weight, 2 sets of 10.

Barre3, Ballet Beautiful and Callanetics Evolution, also some Core Fusion have been compatible with my situation. Found out I had to do things slowly and carefully, really listen to my body. Not the most interesting way of working out but what the body can get along with for now.

Also, have used weight belts on my ankles while lying on the couch watching TV and doing leg lifts and clamshells. For UB, have done weights with dumbbells sitting instead of standing so as not to upset hip and knee.

I hope this helps.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 02:06 AM  
marya

Don't forget Chantal Donnelly's Strong Knees workout--a real boon for those of us with osteo and other knee issues.

I have also found that leg raises to strengthen quads are much more effective than squats and lunges. In fact, squats and lunges hurt my knees more than any other moves. Leslie's workouts actually make my knees feel better.

Pilates mat workouts generally put very little stress on the knees (much less than yoga) and would probably be a wise choice. Occasionally there will be instructions to "sit cross-legged", but I just ignore them and sit with straight legs.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arthritis, barre, osteoarthritis