Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-13, 11:17 PM  
horsemom2

It may vary from dvd to dvd which Titles Freemake will identify whereas Handbrake may identify the chapters on chaptered dvds more accurately.
Then again, not all dvds are chaptered.

Mostly I have used Freemake on dvdrs that I have burnt and it identifies each of those titles very nicely.

Here's the Screenshot Walkthru if anyone needs it:
http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.c...een-shots.html

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 08:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Barb, thanks for the screenshot description (I had used similar videos I found on YouTube). When I tried it, it went just as you described, except (as noted above) only two "titles" identified were the full movie and the short introduction.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 11:14 AM  
horsemom2

Thanks for finding that Handbrake did better with chapters.
I was looking for an alternative for ripping to suggest to others now that the Freemake Video Converter v4.0 is forcing advertising or donations though I am considering trying a donation to open up more features down the road.

Barb S
Old 03-17-19, 08:20 PM  
Sunshine

Thumbs up

So I downloaded Handbrake. It takes up so much of my desktop that I can't see the top. I tried the ctl+roll mouse but that doesn't work.

Ok, I put a disc in, and finally figured out that "encode" must be the start button.
It worked! I have my disc. on my computer.

If I have a smart tv, with internet, can I stream this dvd from my computer to my tv?

if so, which streaming site do you recommend for that?

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 08:48 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Wow! This thread is 6 years old! I saw Joanna in the first post, and I haven’t seen her here in years!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 04:11 PM  
Scorpio6

Bumping
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 06:57 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
So I downloaded Handbrake. It takes up so much of my desktop that I can't see the top. I tried the ctl+roll mouse but that doesn't work.

Ok, I put a disc in, and finally figured out that "encode" must be the start button.

If I have a smart tv, with internet, can I stream this dvd from my computer to my tv?

You don't need streaming site. You have the file. If you double click, it'll play. You can hook up to your TV via HDMI cable, the same way you hook up your DVD player.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 07:57 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
So I downloaded Handbrake. It takes up so much of my desktop that I can't see the top.
I think you have the maximize or full screen setting on.
(if Windows operating system)
Try to click on the smaller screen choice *restore down* in the upper right corner to reverse the maximized window
(restore down icon looks like a square on top of a square and is inbetween the minimize dash icon and the close x icon)

If you cannot see the icons in the upper right corner
(1) Try to restore the window to its unmaximized size, drag it away from the edges/top of the screen.
to drag hold the mouse button down while moving the mouse from the top downwards.

or
(2) If the window is fully maximized, you can double-click the titlebar (top) to restore it.

another option is to press the F11 which may make the top of the screen visible if it is in full screen

Barb S
Old 03-18-19, 08:29 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:

If you prefer to stream from the internet, there are several sites where a file can be uploaded to for streaming.
However, keep the file private for your eyes only or trusted friends to avoid any copyright complaints.
I would avoid youtube completely because even if you make a file private for your eyes only,
their copyright protection may still not allow the file. They used to delete an account if there were 3 deletions (music included!).

My personal favorites are Russian sites: vk.com and mymail.ru
You can also try Vimeo or Dailymotion.
In addition to hosting sites, there are cloud sites like google drive or dropbox.
Google Drive and Dropbox are limited in their free space.
Google Drive is free for 15 gigs.
Dropbox just 2 gigs but you can earn more with referrals

There are probably other hosting and cloud sites.

If you decide to try Dropbox,
we both can get bonus space by using my referral link
https://db.tt/kz0LzM8X

Barb S
Old 03-19-19, 07:59 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:

It requires a little more investment, but if you are planning on ripping your dvd collection so you can play it digitally, I highly recommend getting an external hard drive to save them on (rather than taking up the room on your computer) and then you can easily play all your workouts on your tv via a media player, like the Micca speck. It's ridiculously easy. The back of the Micca has a HDMI port for you to connect to your tv and the front has the USB port for your external hard drive. It comes with a little remote that you use to navigate to which file you want and voila! You are playing all your dvds from one small little device. It's wonderful.

Here's what I use for my external hard drive: https://smile.amazon.com/Elements-Po...-1-spons&psc=1

I recommend sticking with the 1TB one since I do have a 2TB drive but had trouble getting it to play. I use the 2TB one to store all my workouts plus everything else I want saved (all my workout videos, other dvds, home videos, pictures, documents...everything) but keep a smaller amount of workouts that I use most often on the 1TB drive and use that to actually play the workouts. Maybe it's gotten better and the 2TB will work now, but I found I could only use it as a storage bin as opposed to streaming my media with it to the tv.

Here is the media player I use: https://smile.amazon.com/Micca-Full-...s%2C185&sr=8-3

This is the only way I play my videos now. I ripped all my workouts a few years ago and use them all this way. I still keep my dvds as "back ups" just in case, but they pretty much just sit on the shelf now. Also, I currently only buy downloads instead of dvds. So once the workout is downloaded to my computer (like say, Linda Wooldridge's downloads which I have purchased a ton of), it's easy to copy and paste the download to my external hard drive for safe keeping and use. Then I delete the download from my computer so it doesn't take up all that room on my PC.

Tags
back up dvd, burning dvds, download to dvd, dvd ripping, dvd to ipod, faq, ipod, ripping dvds, streaming, tech