Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-12, 03:54 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchaser1 View Post
This is my point of view as a former gym goer but with limited finances now: My old gym memberships cost me between $30 (NYSC)-$90 (Lifetime Fitness) per month + the gas to drive and of course I had to buy more clothes because I went there 6 days per week. So even for the cheap gym membership with gas I would spend at LEAST $40 per month. Next we have the cost of clothes- since nobody sees me I can be as shabby as I want not like when I was constantly shopping for gym clothes. Also the time involved- I always had to take a shower before working out so it would take me about 45 minutes before I even started exercising. I agree that with dvds you have the top trainers at your disposal really cheap- I mean seriously Bob Harper dvds for $5, I wonder how much he would charge for a personal training session and once the session is over it's over whereas you can use the dvd for a looong time. I'm not trying to be a gym basher- I love the gym (gym goer for more than 20 years) but financially dvds can come out cheaper in the long run.
I was SO going to type this. Jedi Mind tricks
Old 07-26-12, 04:42 PM  
DebbieRN

The comment about the Bob Harper DVDs reminded me of a posting I made about misplacing DVDs, I had so many. I misplaced all 5 of Bob's newer ones ($5 each) and hadn't even looked at them yet. I found them under the bellydance DVDs.

Last week I was searching for a DVD I realized later, I never ordered! I have so many of Jessica Smith's, I thought I had her kickboxing one. Then I remembered that came with gloves or something, and I ended up not ordering. I'm just learning kickboxing, so digging through them all and finding gems!

I don't trust myself to get rid of them and then get an interest, kickboxing for example. Always wanted to learn but it took live lessons to motivate me and now glad I have some DVDs to practice with (mostly that came with sets like Cathe's, Top Trainers has Ilaria's--never would have purchased them separately). I count it as my entertainment and hobby too!

Debbie
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:50 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I know that I have well over 1000 DVD's/VHS videos but it doesn't bother me at all - I like having the variety. I do keep buying (although fewer than I used to because I try a lot of DVD's through KineticFlix) but I also trade and give away a lot. I also use SwapADVD to clear out some unwanted/unused DVD's and get some credits that I usually use on PaperbackSwap.

I think it's a healthy habit that doesn't hurt anyone and helps me to stay fit.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 12:00 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Fitness DVDs are a healthy obsession! You can never have too many.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 02:30 PM  
juberann

I do agree you can never have too many and I am in no way ashamed of my habit (even though noone other then you guys understand it or accept it without making some smart remart or comment) but space (where the heck to store them) definitely becomes an issue. I'm a neat freak, totally hate clutter (wish my hubby was the same way but he's not) so having a ton of them that I don't use and don't know what to do with makes me a little crazy
Old 07-27-12, 02:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Fitness DVDs are a healthy obsession! You can never have too many.
I feel this is true, as long as you use them. To collect, buy and shelve what are essentially virgin workouts is a shame and I've done that far too often.
I **really** want to curb my collection down to 100 or so. For me, I think having more than that is wasteful in many ways.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 02:57 PM  
BunnyHop

The only way to know which workouts will click for you is to do them.

Living where I do, there's not a lot in the library, fitness-dvd-wise, so I shop online.

I think of it this way: Having learned a lot about what makes a great workout from people online, I've saved myself mass amounts of frustration and outright waste.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 03:46 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I used to sell and trade my dvds and videos much more than I do now. I've learned to hold onto the ones that I love, even if I don't use them much anymore. I know that someday when I'm 95, I'll enjoy watching and old FIRM or Cathe workout to bring back the memories of "the old days." Hey, maybe I'll still even be able to do them!

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 04:21 PM  
juberann

I also find that the more I have, the more confused I get that is why most of my DVDs are stored away where I can't even see them. Too many choices isn't a good thing for me in this case, too many and I get so overwelmed I tend to just skip it altogether.
Simplifying my choices makes a huge difference to me so I honestly don't know where I get the "the more the better" mindset from just a vidiot's way of thinking, I guess because for me the fewer workouts I have to choose from, the better. I have scaled down my collection to my favorite instructors and those are the ONLY DVDs sitting on my shelf now. I know the others are in the closet but I just don't think about them too much because even with just my favorites out, I still have tons of workouts to choose from
Old 07-27-12, 05:12 PM  
alisoncooks

I get anxious when I have too many dvds. Um, or maybe it's the other way around (when I get anxious, I buy too many dvds.)

FOR ME, it's somewhat of an outward indicator that I've let certain aspects of my life spiral out of control (over-spending -- which is sometimes connected to low-grade depression & food issues/overeating -- too much time on the computer "researching", etc...)

So, I breathe a sigh of relief when I de-clutter (in fact, I just parted with 6 dvds and 3 dvd sets). I'm back down to a happy number (and yes, my happy number is significantly lower than others'. )

It is a cycle, however, but one I'd like to break. There is something to be said for BEING CONTENT (my goal, not necessarily anyone else's).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, large collection, purging dvds, vidiocy