Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-12, 07:45 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
I was going to do Amazon trade-in, but then heard about packages getting lost and discs getting downgraded to nothing.
I've done Amazon trade-in a few times and it's true that you may not get much per DVD, but even with the occasional downgrade and cracked DVD (1x) I received well over $600 in Amazon credit and that was worth it for me! Super easy to do - Amazon pays the shipping, and you don't have the hassle involved with individually selling a bajillion DVDs (assuming they sell): packaging, paying for shipping, and dealing with a few nutty buyers who cause headaches.

Of course you do make more money by selling individually but it can take a long time and with trade-in's you can get rid of a huge amount in one fell swoop and in no time, which I . (When I'm ready to get them outta here I'm READY, kwim? ) Soon I will sit down with a few big boxes and do it (Amazon trade-in's) again.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:07 AM  
sherry7899

Gina, unfortunately, the Amazon trade in has changed a lot over the last few months. They hardly offer anything for fitness dvds unless they are new and sealed. Many " used like new" dvds are only given 10 cents for trade in-I"m not kidding! There have been several threads about it. Even dvds that were expensive in the first place are hardly valued at anything for the trade in.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:26 AM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Y'all could do like I did and get a 240-disc binder (mine came from Amazon, it was like $25 or so) and either store or toss the cases/art. Plus this way if I start to extend beyond my binder I know it's time for a purge to get it down to size.

I have saved most of my cases up to now (I toss broken/cracked ones immediately and just save the art) but might toss most of the cases and just save the art in a folder for trades. They're piled up on a shelf in my laundry room and I'm tired of seeing them...

It's a lot less guilt-inducing looking at a binder than looking at bins and bins. But some like all the pretty cases lined up on a shelf, so I know this would not work for everybody.

I'm really trying to grasp more of a minimalist mindset, but it's hard when it comes to this area.
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 08:40 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Gina, unfortunately, the Amazon trade in has changed a lot over the last few months. They hardly offer anything for fitness dvds unless they are new and sealed. Many " used like new" dvds are only given 10 cents for trade in-I"m not kidding! There have been several threads about it. Even dvds that were expensive in the first place are hardly valued at anything for the trade in.
Uh oh! I had a feeling they might get flooded by traders and eventually get over-saturated. That's not good.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 10:07 AM  
carly

While I have learned to curb my spending on new DVD's (i.e. not always pre-ordering, waiting for reviews, etc.)...I will never feel guilty about my 400-500? DVD collection. I think of it as private lessons from the pros with a DVD copy to take home!...What a bargain! I could be spending $10 - $25 for local group classes with less experienced teachers. 3 X week X 50 weeks = 150 classes per year = $$$.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 12:10 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
While I have learned to curb my spending on new DVD's (i.e. not always pre-ordering, waiting for reviews, etc.)...I will never feel guilty about my 400-500? DVD collection. I think of it as private lessons from the pros with a DVD copy to take home!...What a bargain! I could be spending $10 - $25 for local group classes with less experienced teachers. 3 X week X 50 weeks = 150 classes per year = $$$.
Great reasoning! I totally agree with you.
Old 07-26-12, 12:39 PM  
lhartness

Going Through Them

The responses in this thread help me feel more normal!

When I moved last year and I had to box up my entire collection (200-300 videos), it forced me to see how many I had on my shelves. So since January of this year, I've been systematically going through my workouts and repeating none of them-- only choosing workouts I've done 366 days ago or more. With some of my favorites, I've been ashamed to see the date of my last workout (which I leave in the DVD case), as sometimes 3-4 years ago.

My hope is, as I go through my entire collection (which will probably a while, at 4-5 workouts a week), I might find some I'm willing to part with and pare down.

The only exception to this: I'm hoping to do Michelle Dozois' Peak Fit Challenge again this year, but I'd like to lose about 15 pounds before I attempt that again. IF I can get there, I'll be in a holding pattern with that rotation for 8 weeks. Hopefully this fall.

But still, the Wish List remains long and it's hard to turn away from acquiring the ones I've been pining for!

Laura

Reviews & Giveaways of Videos/Books/Movies/Etc. on my blog The Calico Critic

By God's grace, no longer 248!
lhartness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 01:19 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhartness View Post
The responses in this thread help me feel more normal!
The responses help me feel like I'm not as, um ... enthusiastic about collecting as some of you are. I'm not sure how many I have (systems count as 1, right? haha), but I gave away 3 more yesterday. If I don't Share the Wealth here, they go to Goodwill or the library.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 01:22 PM  
acey

THANK YOU VF-ers for making me feel less like a freak! I also do not care to dwell too much on how vast and vaster my collection is. Let's just say that when I moved earlier this year, the move would've taken about an hour with 5 friends helping out...if not for my video collection, which took up about 12 boxes.

That's not counting the assorted array of weights, kettlebells, spherical devices, Firm boxes and enough rubbery floating items to decorate a house. I've GOT to get all my VHS tapes converted at some point, or else I will simply run out of room for all my workouts, living in NYC.
Old 07-26-12, 01:54 PM  
katchaser1

This is my point of view as a former gym goer but with limited finances now: My old gym memberships cost me between $30 (NYSC)-$90 (Lifetime Fitness) per month + the gas to drive and of course I had to buy more clothes because I went there 6 days per week. So even for the cheap gym membership with gas I would spend at LEAST $40 per month. Next we have the cost of clothes- since nobody sees me I can be as shabby as I want not like when I was constantly shopping for gym clothes. Also the time involved- I always had to take a shower before working out so it would take me about 45 minutes before I even started exercising. I agree that with dvds you have the top trainers at your disposal really cheap- I mean seriously Bob Harper dvds for $5, I wonder how much he would charge for a personal training session and once the session is over it's over whereas you can use the dvd for a looong time. I'm not trying to be a gym basher- I love the gym (gym goer for more than 20 years) but financially dvds can come out cheaper in the long run.
katchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, large collection, purging dvds, vidiocy