Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-12, 09:34 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Need recommendations for strength for beginners.

Any good recommendations for a good total body workout that's 45min or less for someone new to strength training? I think they have dumbells and machines not a barbell set.

Thanks so much!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 10:02 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Any good recommendations for a good total body workout that's 45min or less for someone new to strength training? I think they have dumbells and machines not a barbell set.

Thanks so much!
How about Jari Love's original Get Ripped. I know its rated Int/Adv, but if you go light I think it would suit a strength training newbie.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...et-ripped-7450

or Kelly's Start Here

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...tart-here-6097

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 11:45 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Tonya Larson has good options. Her workout segments tend to be short and she gives good form pointers. Pure Pump would be good for pure strength training. Power Stretch and Sculpt is a good combination of strength and stretching.

SparkPeople 28 Day Bootcamp is a basic workout and has good form pointers with modifier.

Tamilee's I Want That Body is a classic that has three segments (upper, lower, and abs) with really good explanations.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 12:02 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

There are so many! Is it for a man, woman, couple, older, younger? Are modifications for health issues needed? What are the preferences for instructor: male, female, rock music, gentle intro, etc?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 12:41 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

What I recommend to people just starting out is to try to get a copy of Tracy York's Shaping Up with Weights for Dummies dvd from their library. I think it's great for beginners. The prices on Amazon for this dvd are ridiculous.
Old 07-21-12, 01:22 PM  
hollymarie

I like this Kathy Smith workout, formerly known as Secrets to a Great Upper/Lower Body when on VHS. She explains each move, shows a clear demo, hits all of the major muscle groups, and it's not too long

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 04:30 PM  
wookiemouse

Chalean Extreme!

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 07:05 PM  
T2B

I think Cathe's beginners workouts are good. Total Body Sculpting & Body Fusion are really good. Low Impact Step on the TBS dvd is good, too. I use these when I'm in a low energy slump. Oh, and High Step Circuit is good, too.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 07:35 PM  
BunnyHop

I'll second the rec for Jari Love's original Get Ripped. I've done it lots of times over the years, and it's always the one I go back to when I'm in the mood for weights. It's the reason I bought a barbell in the first place, and I find I really like working with a barbell.

The thing I like most about it is that you can increase your weights by quite a lot. (the man in the workout has what seems an enormously heavy barbell. I've never worked that heavy, but it is possible.) A lot of other strength workouts are paced too quickly for heavy lifting, so they aren't quite as versatile.

It's a well balanced workout that's totally doable for a beginner. Use light weights, or even just body weight. Doing it barefoot makes things interesting too. (Though I guess you'd better be sure you won't drop your weights, ouch.)

The only modification I make is to have my step stool handy so I can have something to hold on to when doing lunges. (I'd rather get my form right than worry I'm gonna fall over.)

KCM's Start Here strikes me as a good choice too, but I haven't had it as long, and certainly haven't done it all.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-12, 09:04 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

It's older but if you can find it, Karen Voights Get Firm Fast is good choice for beginners. I also think the For Dummies workout is good too.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, beginner strength, beginners