Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-10, 02:00 PM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Online Yoga Videos: Website List

I'm beginning to explore yoga classes online, and have put together a list of sites I've found from VFers (here on GD and on the Yoga check-in - thanks all!). I thought I would share my list here.
Please add to this list! Would love to hear from those using these (or other) sites.

There is a good overview of many of these sites in the New York Times article that Susan G. posted on this thread: VF Thread: NYTimes article

Streaming & Download Websites

Myyogaonline.com
  • Subscription service (pay per month and get unlimited access to view all videos in streaming format).
  • Downloads of individual classes available to purchase (prices based on length of class; 2 download versions: normal and iPod/iPad, which is about $2 less than the normal version, quality is lower).
  • Yes, iPad/iPhone friendly! The videos will stream on iPad. (As of Sept. 27th – they just adapted for this!)
Founders based in Vancouver. Nice production values; some class settings, some instructor only (with voice-over); some outdoor settings; music is mellow, unobtrusive. Recently added an Eoin Finn download from his dvd: Power Yoga for Happiness (Daily Dose of Bliss).
VF Thread

Yogatoday.com
  • Subscription service (pay per month and get unlimited access to view all videos in streaming format).
  • Downloads of individual classes available to purchase.
  • Not iPad/iPhone friendly. Cannot view the streaming videos on iPad. Don’t know if downloads are viewable on iPad/iPod?
  • VF Thread

Streaming Videos Only

Yogaglo.com
  • No downloads of the classes. (There are a very few downloads of workshops available to purchase – only about 4-5).
  • Note: As of now, you cannot view the videos on iPad. But, I just sent an email to the website contact, and got a reply back in about 5 minutes (from the CEO). They are adapting their technology, and the videos will be able to be streamed over iPad and iPod/iPhone in a few weeks. Terrific!
Based in Los Angeles. Video quality looks great. Lots of variety in terms of level, length, style. A number of familiar-name instructors: Elena Brower, Seane Corn, Jason Crandell, Kathryn Budig, Noah Maze.

Lulubandhas.com
  • A few free videos to view (streaming format).
  • No downloads of the classes.
  • Not iPad/iPhone friendly. Uses Flash, so cannot view on iPad/iPhone.
This is Kira Ryder’s studio in Ojai, CA. Most of the videos are of live classes, led by Kira or other instructors from the studio. Great real-class vibe!

YouTube
  • You can find many short videos for free here! (Richard Freeman, Kira Ryder, Shiva Rea, Cyndi Lee.)
  • Yes, iPad friendly. YouTube streams on iPad/iPhone.
  • Jill Miller has a YouTube channel for Yoga Tune Up: Yoga Tune Up
  • Sadie Nardini has her own YouTube channel: Sadie Nardini

Yogavibes.com
  • Pay per class – to view class in streaming format.
  • A few Exhale Core Fusion classes also available.
  • VF Thread
  • VF Thread about Core Fusion Classes

Yogis Anonymous
  • Donation-based service. Technically free when you sign up to website; suggest donation of $7 per class view.
  • Santa Monica Studio; instructors include Ally Hamilton, Ashley Turner.

Downloads Only

iHanuman.com
  • Videos and audios
  • Downloads to purchase.
  • Some free audios.
  • Karma Collection downloads - proceeds go to charity!
A great site with some wonderful offerings. Video quality varies. A great variety of instructors, styles, and practices. A number of familiar names: Tilak Pyle, Erich Schiffmann, Richard Freeman, Betsey Downing.
VF Thread

YogaJournal.com
  • Free 20-minute videos (podcasts) to download. Classes led by Kathryn Budig and Jason Crandell.
  • Some pay-per-download videos (from YJ dvds).

ETA: Additions

Smaller Websites (have fewer than 15-25 videos to view)

Pranamaya.com
Small selection of online courses.
Pay-per-class, but can only be viewed by streaming video.
Uses Flash, so can’t view on iPad/iPhone.

Yogadownload.com
This is mostly an audio download site.
As of 10/10/10 it looks like there are only about 8 videos to view. Imagine this will grow in time.
Streaming and download.
Uses Flash, so can’t view on iPad/iPhone.

Audio Websites (there are many - a few notable ones here)

Aliveyoga.com (Ana Forrest, Heidi Sormaz, Sean Johnson)

Heartofthemoon.com (Barbara Benagh live class recordings)
LunaSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 03:48 AM  
Vee

Wow! This is so well researched and comprehensive.

Pranamaya has an online subscription service to yoga videos too. Only streaming.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 12:01 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Tracy, this is valuable enough to bookmark. Thanks.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 01:36 PM  
tigerbaby

Dang Tracy! Excellent job! I didn't even know some of these existed.

Can you add www.yogadownload.com to the list? Thank you!!!
Old 10-10-10, 02:46 PM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Glad it's useful! I made the list mainly so I could remember the differences between all these - and so I could bookmark it!

Thanks Vee and Tigerbaby for the additions. I've added them to the end of the list.

I had seen the Yogadownload one, but because it is mostly audio, hadn’t included it. (There are so many audio sites – I didn’t have the energy to tackle that list!)
Old 10-10-10, 02:56 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Thanks Tracy -- I saved this as a doc in my yoga downloads folder.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 03:15 PM  
yoni

thanks Tracy , great list! I have been using Yogaglo and My Yoga Online recently and they have excellent classes. and now because of you I found out about yogis anonymous, they have a lot of advanced vinyasa classes including some from Lauren Peterson of the Yogi's Companion CD which I love but wish it was on DVD. great find!
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 10:34 AM  
KathAL79

Thank you so much for putting together this list!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 12:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

What a nice job, Tracy!

Does anyone remember when Yoga Today was free? I am lucky--I downloaded a class back then which I really like, "Happy Hips & Hamstrings."

One more thing about iHanuman: proceeds for some of the classes (eg, the Karma collection audios) go to charity.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 07:57 PM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Beth - Thanks for that info on iHanuman - makes me like the site even more. It is terrific!

I'm going to check out that class on YogaToday - sounds great - I really need hamstring help (mine are not happy).

Yoni - Thanks for the tip on the Lauren Peterson. I haven't perused the YogisAnonymous site much yet.

Would love to hear any other recommendations from those of you using these sites.

Tags
audio, digital, download, downloads, free, heidi sormaz, kathryn budig, yoga, yoga downloads, yoga websites