Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-09, 03:46 PM  
IvysMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
I have 4x6" index cards in the cases of all of my workouts that tell me the last time I did that workout. When I'm downsizing, I check the dates and if I haven't done a particular workout in over a year, it's on my list. Then I do or preview all those workouts and if I find any of them boring, then to the trade box they go!
that's a good idea patti!
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 04:17 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
that's a good idea patti!
It's really nice to have that kind of info...I also do a breakdown of the workout (front of card) and, along with the date, I write the weight used (back of card).

Can't take credit for the idea though, I'm pretty sure another VFer gave me the idea!
Old 05-01-09, 04:24 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of ALL my workouts (vhs, dvd, cd, audio downloads, etc). I mark each one with a rating (FAV, good, eh) and then I date it each time I do the workout.

If I haven't done a workout in a LONG time, I tend to want to get rid of it. Kind of like if you haven't worn certain clothes in over a year it's time to get rid of them.
I can't possibly do all of my 260+ workouts, so slowly have been whittling them down, keeping only a few favs regardless of when I last did them (like Gilad, Tae Bo, etc).

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 04:38 PM  
kellyslims

Cool

I had a large collection of unused cookbooks and dvd's. What I did for the books was to write lightly in pencil on the front inside covers when I bought them, I would put the date. Anytime I used the cookbook I would write the date on there too. Then after a year if I hadn't used the book at all -which often happened I donated it to the library.

I did the same with the dvds.
I slipped an index card under the front plastic sleeve and each time I did the workout I put the date or sometimes just a sticker, the point is I made a note that I used the workout. After 6 months ( I was stricter with my timeframe for dvds b/c I know pretty quickly if I like a workout or not) any dvd that had less than x # of "uses" or no "uses" at all I gave away or listed for trade.
It's a nice little system that works well for me and luckily I have had few regrets with my give aways and none at all with my trades!

ETA just read the other posts see that I am not alone in my index cards-good to know!
kellyslims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 05:31 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of ALL my workouts (vhs, dvd, cd, audio downloads, etc). I mark each one with a rating (FAV, good, eh) and then I date it each time I do the workout.
I'm doing this right now. I'm actually doing a long rotation through my entire collection as well as some things in my Netflix queue. I'm noting the Netflix ones that I like for future purchase, and things I own I'm noting very specific things good/bad about them. After I've cycled through my whole collection, I'm going to pare down and then purchase any rental gems that I'd like to wind up owning.

Of course, once in a blue moon, I do get rid of something that I regret. Honest to goodness, this is a VERY goofy one, but about ten years ago I got (no lie) Dixie Carter's yoga video of all things. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but I did it a few times before getting rid of it. Later, I realized I actually liked her "evening" routine, which was actually quite relaxing. Heaven knows I now couldn't find that silly thing if I tried! I think it's important to note now how my body actually feels after a workout is finished, not just whether the instructor is weird or the music is annoying. Those are things you can get over. Having a great sense of well being after working out is sometimes worth a little cheese or a bad set, you know?
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 05:52 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I have to admit that I am guilty of rebuying most of what I sell.

My tastes and needs in regards to fitness change quite often. So I am learning that it is better for me to keep a workout unless I really hate it! Besides, I used to be able to get close to what I paid for a newer workout when I would list it at yayas. Now it seems like I have to practically give stuff away to get it to move.
What she said. Now I only exchange the ones I know I will never do again - and I STILL end up buying some of those back... It's a vicious cycle.
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 07:26 PM  
juberann

Great advice,everyone, thank you so much!! LOVE the index card idea,so many great suggestions here
I have made a pile of the ones I just know for sure I hate and will never do again, apile of the ones I havn't done in awhile but can't remember why and then my keeper pile (FULL of Leslie and Billy,my true passions). It's going to be fun "revisiting" old workouts,heck,I may even find a real gem I had all along and didn't know it,who knows??? Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 08:12 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Of course, once in a blue moon, I do get rid of something that I regret. Honest to goodness, this is a VERY goofy one, but about ten years ago I got (no lie) Dixie Carter's yoga video of all things. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but I did it a few times before getting rid of it. Later, I realized I actually liked her "evening" routine, which was actually quite relaxing. Heaven knows I now couldn't find that silly thing if I tried! I think it's important to note now how my body actually feels after a workout is finished, not just whether the instructor is weird or the music is annoying. Those are things you can get over. Having a great sense of well being after working out is sometimes worth a little cheese or a bad set, you know?
Both Amazon and half.com have Dixie Carter's Yoga workout on VHS. I see that both of her workouts were put on DVD but I don't see the DVD available at my usual shopping spots.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 10:03 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Both Amazon and half.com have Dixie Carter's Yoga workout on VHS. I see that both of her workouts were put on DVD but I don't see the DVD available at my usual shopping spots.
Woo! Thanks! I might just decide to grab that again!
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 06:16 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I finally realized that there were certain workouts or instructors that I'll just never workout with...for example, I love Gin Miller's personality, but aside from Classic Step and one or two strength workouts of hers, I just never reach for the others. Had to get rid of them. Same with Kelly Coffey-Meyer's cardio. Love her, love her strength workouts, but her cardio was too much for me Gone. Finally came to accept that while I love Tracie Long's TLT series, it was all about the set...the workouts are great, but I really like very basic, simple workouts...nothing fancy, as little learning curve as possible. Keep it simple, please. Keep it basic, too. Also realized I don't have to have every Jari or every Kelly (but do have nearly every Margaret Richard) or every Slim Series...not even every Leslie...high impact is out here at home (rough on the house's foundations according to DH). So Cathe's cardio is out...good luck!!!

Tags
declutter, downsizing