Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-20, 02:08 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I had to look at Goodreads, because I barely remembered Nine Perfect Strangers, but I didn't like it either. I wrote DNF, that it was boring...

I've been reading a lot of library e-books, most of which have been okay, but nothing special. I'm reading The Antidote For Everything right now, and it started out good, but it's bogging down now (about 1/3 into it.)

I've been in a slump with books lately, so I'm glad to see some new things coming out to look for.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 03:59 PM  
Gams

Almost done with Writers & Lovers - it’s very good!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 04:54 PM  
RENEETX

Re: Lian Moriarty...

While I wasn't a big fan of Truly Madly Guilty or Nine Perfect Strangers, I absolutely loved What Alice Forgot, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies. All three of those books are in my top favorite reads of all time. Because of those, I will always read whatever Lian Moriarty writes, in hopes of it being as good...
RENEETX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 05:05 PM  
Carol K

Alice Hoffman is one of my favorites and while I haven't totally loved everything she's written, I will read every new book she releases as well. It's been a long time since she's disappointed me.
Old 07-08-20, 06:05 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Beth,
I’ve read most of Liane Moriarty’s books, and yes that was a very frustrating book, lol. Tons of build up to a big let down!

Her best in order (in my opinion):
1) The Husband’s Secret (the first one I read that was the best)
2) What Alice Forgot
3) Big Little Lies (this was made into an HBO series)
4) Three Wishes

I have the audible version of “Nine Perfect Strangers” that I haven’t listened to yet. I think that it got mixed reviews.
I completely agree with your list!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 09:00 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Funny that we have been discussing Liane Moriarity - at random (another Little Library pickup), I just finished one of her books, The Hypnotist's Love Story. I loved it! I don't see it coming up on people's lists though and wonder if I am unique in my tastes. If I was going to read another by her, would it make sense for me to go with one of the highly recommended ones such as The Husband's Secret or something else?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 12:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I am almost done with "The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell" -- I am listening to it and just absolutely loving it!! It's one of those books where you are racing through it but also don't want it to end. The author does his own narration, which I find often does not turn out well, but I think he does a great job here.
Old 07-23-20, 12:39 PM  
Carol K

I'm reading The Stranger from the Sea, the 8th book in the Poldark series. Jeremy and Clowance have grown into formidable young people.
Old 07-23-20, 01:15 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Funny that we have been discussing Liane Moriarity - at random (another Little Library pickup), I just finished one of her books, The Hypnotist's Love Story. I loved it! I don't see it coming up on people's lists though and wonder if I am unique in my tastes. If I was going to read another by her, would it make sense for me to go with one of the highly recommended ones such as The Husband's Secret or something else?
Beth, I would suggest either “What Alice Forgot” or “A Husbands Secret” next. I have “A Hypnotist’s Love Story” in my kindle library (went to buy it because it’s on sale for $1.99) and I already have it, lol! . I’ll have to read it now.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 01:46 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I read that and it wasn't one of my favorites; I don't think there was anything I especially disliked about it, but I didn't like or identify with the main character enough (or as much as I did in some of her others), IIRC.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading