Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-16, 04:29 PM  
horusosiris

I thought that Plyoga would be like PiYo but in my estimation it is not but I have only done one of the workouts so far. The workout I did had many high impact moves (although there is a modifier doing low impact alternatives) but PiYo is mostly low impact. I did Plyoga - "Float and Fly"- the intermediate workout. The instructor said that they never practiced the workouts before filming them. I think that in sections that their lack of practice showed. The guy in the workout had never done Plyoga before. A few times the two background exercises seemed a bit confused and at times both of them were modifying and only the lead instructor did the more advanced version. Basically in Float and Fly you do an exercise (plyometric exercise) that is repeated three times, then an AB focused move and then a stretchy/ yoga move. I liked the stretchy component of the workout. The ending stretch was good. I was trying to figure out where to put this one in a rotation and I think that I will include this one under the rubric cardio (with an extended stretch).
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 05:39 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
What about that Will Power & Grace dvd? I don't even know if it's available anymore but it seems like it might be Piyo-like.
This is a live class version of Willpower and Grace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQBWhWH2HEo

you could give that a whirl (as I may). I went to a live WPG class once on vacation and I got pretty sore (it was more effective than the dvd -- probably I pushed myself harder because it was live).
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 07:22 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Just FYI about Plyoga... It is NOT low impact. I believe PiYo is marketed as low impact so if that's what you are looking for Plyoga wouldn't fit the bill. I do think Michelle Dozois's BodyFit 360 workouts would be closer to PiYo.
Old 01-06-16, 07:52 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunatural View Post
OK, I know I am really late for this bandwagon. I found threads on this topic dating back to 2005 when I did a search. I was visiting family over the holidays and used my Away privileges to use the YMCA there. Their gym was so much nicer and they had a wider variety of fitness classes. My local YMCA seems inadequate now.

Anyway, I took two PiYo classes and loved it. I think it had a lot to do with the awesome instructor. I also really liked that the workout is athletic/challenging and still low impact. I have had no interest in this until now so when I researched it, I was really disappointed to find out it was 1. Beachbody, 2. A set of workouts, and 3. Chalene.

I am not interested in acquiring a full set of workouts. My entire collection has 4 measly workout sets (Marta, Billy, Leslie, Firm). I know myself. I will not follow a rotation or the eating plan. I will only do the workouts I really like and the rest will sit there gathering dust. From reading through some threads about PiYo, it looks like there will be 1 or 2 workouts in the whole set that will keep my interest long term.

So, I am asking you, my fellow VFers, to help me come up with a list of workouts that are like PiYo but don't require purchasing a full set. From my existing collection, Ellen and Ruah come to mind. The workouts I have are mostly static though and I really like that PiYo had almost constant movement.
I know you don't want to necessarily go the BB or Chalene route, but you can sign up ( with Mary) for a free 30day trial of BB on Demand and stream to your computer or TV and see one of the Piyo that she dones "sweat" to see if you like her in this type workout ( very different from her others in how she behaves) and they have some PiYo workouts from Master Trainers there. There is about 5 of them and they are about 30 minutes in duration. If you hate what you see, you can just cancel. From what I understand Sweat and Drench are more like her gym workouts.
Old 01-08-16, 09:12 AM  
aunatural

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been doing some more research and apparently Les Mills also developed a very similar workout, Body Flow. The moves are very similar to PiYo. PiYo just moves faster. I had also forgotten about Intensati which I already have in my collection. I also looked at a few of Ellen's clips and Skinny Sculpt and Power Fusion seem to have the exercises closest to PiYo although the pace is not quite as fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
This is a live class version of Willpower and Grace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQBWhWH2HEo

you could give that a whirl (as I may). I went to a live WPG class once on vacation and I got pretty sore (it was more effective than the dvd -- probably I pushed myself harder because it was live).
This looks interesting. I will definitely try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Just FYI about Plyoga... It is NOT low impact. I believe PiYo is marketed as low impact so if that's what you are looking for Plyoga wouldn't fit the bill. I do think Michelle Dozois's BodyFit 360 workouts would be closer to PiYo.
That was my thought too after watching a few minutes. It is not low impact. I could certainly modify but I think it's more toward the athletic side than the Pilates or Yoga side. I actually thought of Cathe while I was watching. What I also liked about PiYo, at least during the class, there were no seemingly endless exercise sets. BodyFit 360 looks very promising.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 09:22 AM  
aunatural

Thank you. I tried to respond with a question but it said you have exceeded your stored PM space. I will try again in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
Tracey I PM'd you.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 09:26 AM  
shoegoddess

Tracey I just fixed that

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 09:42 AM  
katalina

Thanks for this thread. I've been following it and keep the suggestions re. similar workouts coming -- I'm interested as well.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 03:20 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunatural View Post

This looks interesting. I will definitely try it.

Unfortunately it's really hard to hear the instructor -- I didn't realize that when I first included the link. Looks like there are a couple of dvds available:

http://willpowermethod.com/product-c.../videos-music/

I think Mile High is the one I used to have (and maybe still do? ) and liked.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 05:40 PM  
soulflower

I was really excited for the PiYo release, but I was one of the ones that ended up being disappointed. I think I was expecting more of the pace and music of Bodyfit 360. With that being said, here's a few that I enjoy that may fit the bill for you:
Amplify Your Strength from Within - Kimberly Spreen
Reach - Kari Anderson
Bodyfit 360 vols. 1-2 - Michelle Dozois
Reach Further - Tracie Long
Ballet Body - Jennifer Galardi
Fuse Dance Cardio Lean/Melt - Tracey Mallett, particularly "Lean"
Balletone - my favorite is Beyond Balletone, you may want to consider Balletone Sole Synthesis

Hope this helps!
Soulflower
soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodyfit 360, piyo