Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-14, 02:49 PM  
Sandrine

I was late to the Thrift Shop party, but I'm making up for lost time!! Great finds include almost the entire sets of Core Secrets, Bender Ball, 2 different sets of Winsor pilates. Also "odds and ends" of mostly vhs, but some dvds. I just picked up an old Reebok, led by Petra Kolber that features Nancy Kerrigan and 2 other female athletes, which I had never seen before. It's not bad for $1!

I've also been lucky in the equipment area and found a like-new Nordic Track (the original, nonmotorized cross country skier) for $10. I know it sounds dorky, but that is the one piece of equipment that I've always wanted. I also have a club size step (still seeking risers, though ) and this weird, *thing* from Gaiam, that is best described as some sort of pilates back stretching apparatus (looks sort of like the Firm Wave but has a second part that props up on a metal stand). I can't find any photos anywhere on the internet and Gaiam's customer service responded to my e-mail by saying that if they don't currently sell it, they don't know anything about it.

I just re-read what I wrote and realized that this is the only place in the world that I would openly admit to buying something that I have no idea what it is used for, simply because it had the Gaiam name on it and looked like it *could* be used for working out.

Great thread!

Last edited by Sandrine; 04-06-14 at 02:50 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 03:44 PM  
Pam

Sandrine-Gaiam has their headquarters near a thrift store which they donate closeouts, returns, and what I can only guess are trial items that didn't make it. Lately I have also found samples that were sent to them apparently in the hopes that they would add to their sales items. Over the years, I have seen some strange things.

I also admit I have bought Gaiam items that I had no idea what they were or how I was going to use them. Some got redonated and others I have found uses for. Part of the fun going to thrift stores

Anyone who lives in the Denver area (this is in a city NW of Denver-Broomfield),PM and I will give directions to the thrift store.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 04:35 PM  
Sandrine

Pam, I actually did wonder if this thing was possibly a prototype or something. Thanks for shedding some light!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 06:07 PM  
Pam

Pam, I actually did wonder if this thing was possibly a prototype or something. Thanks for shedding some light!

It makes sense why their Customer Service did not know of the item. Some of their stuff at the thrift store (they have their own special shelves there) have definitely been weird. Glad they are starting to donate the samples. I got a well made set of reflective leg/arm bands, from some company in Japan for $.50. Knew they were samples as they were marked so.

I wonder if other fitness companies donate their unsaleable stuff to thrift stores? Where are these thrift stores???

Recent finds:
4 Spinervals DVDs (and I had none of them! Glad the memory was working)
3 Qigong DVDs by Jeff Primack (never had heard of him, but have learned a lot from them)
Old 04-07-14, 03:46 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
Are you talking about Total Beauty and Fitness? If so, it is on yt.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dVEbOQFW-AM
maybe Phyllis can confirm? I've never used any of Raquel's videos. but her fans will be happy that YT has them!

just the other day, I found out that YT has Billy Blanks' Amped series there. I traded his Amped set a few years ago, but was considering re-acquiring them, but lo and behold, YT already has them on there.

I was thinking of posting to this thread - yesterday, I found these 3 DVD titles at Savers Thrift store:

Cardio Barre Ultimate Advanced, w/Richard Giorla, with 2 bonus workouts for UB and LB
Dummies Pilates and Yoga 2-disc set (with Michelle Dozois & Sara Ivanhoe respectively)
BodyWisdom Yoga for Weight Loss, w/Maggie Rhoades

a few weeks ago, I found these 2 crunch videos at a used book store:
Yoga Body Sculpt with Bethany Lyons
Bootcamp Training with Sue Hitzman

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 05:17 AM  
PhyllisG

Yes that is the original Raquel Welch yoga VHS. It is long!
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 06:07 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Picked up a copy of Gin Miller's Xtreme Strength ball workout this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. I had read some mixed reviews, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Several innovative moves I had never seen before (and I've done few ball workouts) and it was a bit tougher than I had expected.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 08:48 PM  
mrsyancy

I finally stopped by the thrift store near me bc of all of the great finds being posted here and found the firm express(with two DVDs missing) but everything else there for $6.50. In true Vidito style I already have the set, but just couldn't leave it sitting there. I'll probably just give it away to a friend or even just share the wealth
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 07:55 PM  
Pam

I think people are Spring Cleaning! Have found some good fines!

Anahata Chakra,: Exploring Your Heart, Kathleen Perkins. Has anyone heard of her (from Portland)? I think it will be good for a relaxing yoga practice.

Ballet Fitness: Ballet Blast, Jennee
UFit DVDs: Ultra Fit and Ultra Lean
Detox Flow Yoga, Seane Corn

1 riser that will work with my club step or high step

Another DVD Rack; really needed this for all my new DVDs from Collage & Mary sales, Share the Wealth thanks to a couple of VFers and thrift stores! This one is going hide in a closet as running out of room in the workout area!
Old 07-05-14, 07:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

cathe's Gym Style legs DVD just the other day at saver's - $2.99.

i did about 30 min of the workout this morning in addition to some walking while my son was at his cello lesson (to kathy smith's walkfit 2 audio).

also - found a Leslie, a Gay Gasper, and Minna DVDs at the library's annual book sale. and, Mindy's TriCycle DVD at a used bookstore.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, thrift store finds, thrift stores, thrift stores finds, thrift stores.