Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-14, 01:05 AM  
yahoo205

How to not overeat or stress eat or eat when tired fatigued fatigue lacking sleep?

This is one part of my life I have not mastered. When I get really stressed or fatigued or sleep deprived (I have a crazy schedule), I always reach for unhealthy food-salty, savory, especially sweets. And, I can eat quickly, really quickly, so I can inhale stuff.

Any and all tips appreciated, especially from people that are like me but have overcome it.

I probably should get the Judith Beck The Beck Diet Solution Book and Workbook.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=203591

Are these the two to get? Can anyone share a couple of things you learned from the book/workbook?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beck-Diet-...4744165&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solu...4745243&sr=1-3

Originally Posted by lreidgreen:
I have been doing an online weight loss program that is basically adding one habit every two weeks. Take 25 min to eat a meal, stop at 85% full, drink water with every meal, eat protein with every meal, eat veggies at every meal, etc. Other than the first two, I had the protein veggie, water thing down before I started the program. We are at the last habit: Before eating anything count to 10 and ask yourself "why am I eating this" This is the crux for me because I eat when I am stressed, bored etc.
The program has challenges which that sound similar to the assignments you describe in the Beck book. I never did them though. I occasionally posted to the group Facebook page for support but haven't been tracking my weight or anything like that.
I am not sure this program was worth what I paid for it but it did get me thinking about my eating habits.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 01:55 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm reading a book right now by michael breus, PhD called the sleep diet. it has nothing to do with food (there are recipes, but the focus is on getting more sleep).

people discount/dismiss how important sleep is.

the good thing is that you've realized why you're eating, so do the thing that's causing you to eat - if you're fatigued, get some sleep. if you can't sleep because you're worried/anxious, address whatever it is that is worrying you or causing your anxiety.

meditation has also helped me tremendously. i am not a master of it, but it has forced me to observe myself. i can sit there and "know" that food will not solve whatever problem i may be perceiving about myself, simply by observing what's going on in my stomach (....that it just got fed and there's no possibility that food is needed).

try it - try & observe yourself, even for just 5 deep long breaths.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 05:57 AM  
BamaTanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post

I probably should get the Judith Beck The Beck Diet Solution Book and Workbook.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=203591

Are these the two to get? Can anyone share a couple of things you learned from the book/workbook?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beck-Diet-...4744165&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solu...4745243&sr=1-3
I ordered the book. Since starting, I thought about ordering the workbook instead of writing out my answers separately in a notebook, but the workbook was higher than the book. There are places to write in the book itself, so I may do that.

This website has daily tips: http://www.beckdietsolution.com/daily-diet-solutions/
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 06:20 AM  
Sollamyn

Yahoo, to answer your question: Yes, those are the two books that PrairieGem was referring to in her original post. I have the original book (but not the workbook) and I've been reading and studying it and taking notes, and preparing to work with it. I weighed in today and I am not happy with my results, so I guess I will start with Beck today! I've been stress eating and have been emotionally unstable since January and I've gained about 12 pounds. My clothes are really tight (they were loose in February) and I just can't buy new ones now!

The Beck book is about helping you to mentally focus on what is important to you (losing weight) and helping you to deal with the issues most commonly associated with overeating (situations like holidays, eating out, emotional eating, stress, boredom, etc.). To me, the most important thing won't be about what to eat or how to eat or how much exercise to get, but about how I deal with my 'issues'. The Beck Diet Solution offers mindset techniques (basically, changing the narrative in your head) as well as behavioral techniques (meditation/relaxation techniques, distancing or distracting yourself from your cravings, etc.) to help you conquer your weaknesses and bad habits.

I hope that helps. Although I've pretty much studied and re-studied this thing, I haven't actually put it into practice yet, but I'm starting today so...I do think it has possibilities for me. I already know how much to eat, etc. But when I have emotional issues plus bad habits (like stopping off at the store on the way home from work because I feel like ice cream!)...well, I need some extra help, which I am hoping The Beck Diet Solution will be for me. It's either that or therapy!!

Donna
Old 10-31-14, 07:19 AM  
Pam

yahoo025-I could have written your post! I overeat when I am tired or stressed. I don't keep unhealthy foods in the house (and the nearest grocery store is a 16 mile round trip from here,this is a rural area, and not open late). So, that is a big help to me in my self-control. But still overeating healthy food puts on weight, too.

Another big help has been joining an online group of people (Meltdown Challenge) who are trying to change diet habits and lose weight. This session just ended and the nx does not start until Jan 15th nx year. You have to be invited into the group by someone already in the group and the cost is very low. Will give more details if interested. I give it credit for me losing 17# and went from a size 10 to a 6, since the beginning of July. Still a bit of a struggle to keep off.

I got the Beck book when it was mentioned on VF before. It was helpful in changing my habits. Also a lot of helpful readings on the Meltdown Challenge that have helped.

Love to hear what has worked for other people.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 07:39 AM  
PrairieGem

This was a huge thing for me to conquer/deal with: I think I'm hungry when I'm tired. Somewhere my brain got its signals mixed up and started craving the wrong kind of energy to cure the fatigue.

Just *acknowledging* it has helped a lot. Tracking what I was eating and especially when made me a lot more conscious that I was doing it. I mean, I *knew* I was doing it, but couldn't seem to make myself stop, until I started putting it in writing. Part of the foundation of the Beck program is making "response cards," where you write yourself little notes as reminders for good behavior/thinking. Some of mine say:

Quote:
Being tired is not a condition that must be self-medicated with food.
Quote:
Eating won't make you less tired. You've tried it. It doesn't work.
Quote:
Never, ever eat first thing after waking up. WAKE UP first and think about what you're doing.
Committing those to mind, combined with the Beck principle of "I can wait to eat/Hunger is not an emergency" got me a long way this summer.

It's really tough! But acknowledging that I am in control of the choices I make about food really made me accountable.
Old 10-31-14, 08:08 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
This is one part of my life I have not mastered. When I get really stressed or fatigued or sleep deprived (I have a crazy schedule), I always reach for unhealthy food-salty, savory, especially sweets. And, I can eat quickly, really quickly, so I can inhale stuff.

Any and all tips appreciated, especially from people that are like me but have overcome it.
I could have written your description of sleep deprivation and eating quickly. First of all I agree with Jeanine-get to the root of the sleep issue if you think that is causing you to overeat. I am a night person and have a hard time getting my rear end into bed at night although I usually fall asleep quickly once I do. I have been getting better about getting to bed at a decent hour but I have room for improvement. I still have to get out of the mindset that "I have so much to do." that drives me to stay up late. Do meditation, yoga, chi kung, stretching or anything else that helps you wind down. Maybe try setting an alarm for when you want to get to bed.

As far as eating quickly, I suggest trying to take 20 minutes to eat a meal. When I was working on it I actually set the timer/stopwatch on my cell phone and monitored it while I was eating. I need to get back to that as well.

I have been keeping a food journal for the past few weeks as part of an online nutrition and coaching program I started with a trainer. It is amazing how writing something down then reviewing it regularly really makes you think about what you put in your mouth. The week before last I was on the road and had some things I shouldn't have and looking back at my journal I said "yikes" I really need to get a handle on that. Having to submit it helps me stay accountable. Amazingly my sugar cravings have almost completely disappeared.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 08:29 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Practical tips that have helped me: 1) I do not work out if I feel like I haven't gotten a good night of rest -- hugely important (for me). 2) If I eat a substantial breakfast that includes a good portion of healthy fat I seem to do better.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 08:36 AM  
cristinalatina

Napping helps me, there really is no substitute for sleep! Check yourself before you wreck yourself, I tell myself! If sleepy just try to get some shut eye!
Old 10-31-14, 08:52 AM  
BunnyHop

As part of my hormone replacement treatment, (night sweats wake me up), my doctor has prescribed something to help me sleep through the night.

It's not that I never HAVE the night sweats, but I sleep through them.

Getting enough good sleep and regulating my food intake are the two factors that have helped me feel normal again and get back on track, fitness-wise.

Not everyone has that specific problem, but I mention it because I really hadn't understood how disruptive the lack of sleep had been to the rest of my life.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fat loss, fatigue, insomnia, overeating, sleep, stress