Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-20, 06:44 AM  
sherry7899

OT: has anyone used Good RX?

The cost of our insurance is going up (again!) so we are trying to save some money on prescriptions. I only take thyroid medication, but another household member is on several medications.

I searched for the prescriptions on Good RX and it looks like several may be a good amount cheaper at the pharmacy at a local grocery store. We currently do mail order for 90 day supplies through our insurance. It says the prices are "with coupon" though.

Has anyone done this? Do you get the coupons when you register with Good RX, and can you get the same price for maintenance prescriptions all the time, or do you need to hunt down coupons all the time?

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 06:54 AM  
amoodygirl

Hi Sherry!

I use GoodRx for my pets' medications. It's pretty seamless and once the pharmacy has the code, it automatically comes up every time you pick up a renewal.

The one thing I noticed is that the prices can fluctuate month to month. One of my cats takes prozac so for a 2 month supply, it's about $21. Compared to Walmart, which is only $4, it's not such a great deal. However, I won't go near a Walmart during the pandemic. I haven't been back to any Walmarts since March of 2020.

Hope that helps!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 06:56 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
Hi Sherry!

I use GoodRx for my pets' medications. It's pretty seamless and once the pharmacy has the code, it automatically comes up every time you pick up a renewal.

The one thing I noticed is that the prices can fluctuate month to month. One of my cats takes prozac so for a 2 month supply, it's about $21. Compared to Walmart, which is only $4, it's not such a great deal. However, I won't go near a Walmart during the pandemic. I haven't been back to any Walmarts since March of 2020.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, Diane! I definitely do not want to go to Walmart either! I was very glad the closer and much mellower grocery store near us has better prices.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 06:59 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks, Diane! I definitely do not want to go to Walmart either! I was very glad the closer and much mellower grocery store near us has better prices.
You're welcome! The prices definitely do vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. We switched from Walgreen's to our local and small Hannaford Grocery Store. their prices are the best and they are very strict in following Covid-19 protocol. And believe me, I get in and out FAST!

Diane
Old 11-18-20, 06:59 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've been using GoodRx for several years and have saved a ton of money. The two meds I take (bioidentical hormones) aren't covered by insurance, and I save about $60 every 3 months.

Every time a refill is due, I go to the GoodRx website, print out the Walgreens coupon and bring it with me (or save it on my phone). The prices are always changing. I use the coupon if it's cheaper than the last refill was with the last coupon Walgreens has on file for me.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 07:00 AM  
MariC

Good RX

Hi Sherry
I use good RX almost all the time with a savings of $5 to $10 dollars on each
Of my prescriptions. Initially, I had to find the pharmacy with the best price
I refill my maintenance RX’s at Walmart and the neighborhood grocery store
And sometimes if it does go a little higher the pharmacist will match the price to
the price of the other place
I really appreciate the savings. It’s a darn shame that the prices are so high to begin with and that the insurance companies do not pay more towards the prescriptions.
I tell everyone that I can to use Good RX if they can. The savings are amazing
I hope this helps

MariC
MariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 07:29 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I've been useing GoodRx for at least 2 years. I downloaded their app (free) on my phone and check their prices every time I get a refill. If the price is cheaper than it was last month, I just show them the coupon on my phone and they adjust price at the register. No need to print anything unless you don't have a smartphone.

Good Rx had saved me quite a bit of money but every time I ask myself why do I need to go through a middleman to get affordable prices on my prescriptions? Why can't pharmacies just offer it to their patients without coupons, apps etc?
Old 11-18-20, 07:32 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Good Rx had saved me quite a bit of money but every time I ask myself why do I need to go through a middleman to get affordable prices on my prescriptions? Why can't pharmacies just offer it to their patients without coupons, apps etc?
Agreed!!!! Just like all the gimmicks in grocery stores with their Savings Cards and the Target App, etc. Just give me good prices, forget all the gimmicks!

Diane
Old 11-18-20, 09:17 AM  
Vantreesta

We've been using it this year too. I am just appalled at the pricing of meds and even more so that they can vary so much. One of my dogs was on amitriptyline and when Target's pharmacy was Target, they would price match his meds with the Walmart price, which was substantially cheaper. Like more than $60 cheaper. When CVS took over the Target pharmacy they would do nothing for the customer. What would have cost me maybe $40 at Walmart cost me $120 at the CVS inside Target!! I was outraged that CVS would not price match. The CVS pharmacists felt so bad but their hands were tied. I switched his prescription to Walmart but left mine at CVS. When hubby started using GoodRx I checked prices and switched mine to our grocery store along with him and my current dog takes Prozac so switched him to there from Walmart. When hubby picked up mine for the first time he was in a hurry and didn't use the coupon. At the same store, he paid over $100 for my meds that would have been I think around $25 with the coupon. What is wrong with this picture??? So my takeaways were I will never use CVS if I can help it and always use GoodRx!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 09:41 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Use it all the time. Costco takes it as well.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good rx, medicare, prescription medication