Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-15, 05:53 PM  
yahoo205

Yoga Mat with really good cushioning and really good GRIP?

http://www.naturalfitnessinc.com/sto...?CategoryID=26

I have the Natural Fitness Hero Mat and Warrior Mat and they are both slippery. I wonder if they will get better with use.

I also have the Powerhouse Pro Mat which is nice and thick (10 mm), but not specifically meant for yoga (good for floorwork).

I do like the brand because they are environmentally friendly.

This Gaiam Sol Dry Grip gets good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Sol-Dry-...=yoga+mat+grip
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 06:49 PM  
Cybersparkle

Here is the best thing that I found for slipping, a VF recommended it. It will work on any mat, I think.
AURORAE ROSIN POWDER
The socks did not work, twisted up & squeezed my feet. I couldnt afford an expensive mat - but here is the link to what I have, it is thicker than the average mat & I like it, tho may not be the thickest on the market. They offer really bright colors - I love it & got bright yellow (the price is 20, when I got it, it was only 15)

YOGA MAT
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 06:51 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I have a green/purple natural fitness yoga mat that I like for its traction (I have sweaty hands). I think it's 100% rubber. The warrior and hero list PER & rubber under materials. Not sure if that makes a difference in the slippery-ness factor.

However, maybe it's best to try a new brand since you've struck out twice already with natural fitness.

Note: I don't do yoga regularly or hot yoga at all. I just need a yoga mat I can hold down dog in comfortably without my hands slipping.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 07:24 PM  
ellens2

I recently got the Jade Fusion mat here on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's 5/16" thick and has a super grip.
Old 01-28-15, 07:44 PM  
Yelly

It's not cheap, but by far my best fitness purchase EVER has been my:

Manduka PRO Squared Mat

I bought mine when it was on clearance at Zappos, so I paid much less than what it's listed for on that link. (I haven't seen it for such a good price since then) When you get it broken in, it has excellent grip, and I love the cushion. It is 78" of squared perfection, in my opinion
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 08:19 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post

Manduka PRO Squared Mat

I bought mine when it was on clearance at Zappos, so I paid much less than what it's listed for on that link. (I haven't seen it for such a good price since then) When you get it broken in, it has excellent grip, and I love the cushion. It is 78" of squared perfection, in my opinion
OMG, I was expecting $200, not $360! It's $295 on amazon right now. The Manduka mat is 25 pounds and 1/4" (6.4 mm) compared to the thickest 6 and 10 mm Natural Fitness mats I have. I actually like the Natural Fitness mats but they are slippery, but maybe I need to break them in.

I've been really wanting a good quality big large square or round yoga fitness mat.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 08:45 PM  
Dabbadooey

I have seen some jade harmony mats at TJMaxx for 49.99. Also the tempurpedic mattress people have put out a mat called the kind mat.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 08:47 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellens2 View Post
I recently got the Jade Fusion mat here on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's 5/16" thick and has a super grip.
I've had this mat for over 5 years and am still totally in love. It is heavy if you're schlepping it to class, but I've done a round trip 2 mile walk with it numerous times. It also performs well in hot yoga classes.

One of the local yoga studios has two rooms with concrete floors and the cushioning is perfect.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 08:48 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
OMG, I was expecting $200, not $360! It's $295 on amazon right now. The Manduka mat is 25 pounds and 1/4" (6.4 mm) compared to the thickest 6 and 10 mm Natural Fitness mats I have. I actually like the Natural Fitness mats but they are slippery, but maybe I need to break them in.

I've been really wanting a good quality big large square or round yoga fitness mat.
I know - the full retail price is crazy!! I only paid just over $200 when I bought mine, if I'm remembering correctly. An alternative would be to just buy their regular-sized PRO mat. I have that one too (which is why I knew I wanted the bigger square one), and it's great!! And also, the Rosin powder stuff does work too, but I honestly don't need to use it that much on my Manduka, since it's so well broken in now!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 12:46 AM  
zellybelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post

Manduka PRO Squared Mat

It's amazing, best purchase and it's all nice and broken in now, no problems.

Tags
yoga, yoga mat, yoga mats