Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-17, 06:35 AM  
Malia

I did make hard boiled eggs in it the other day. Turned out better than I could have imagined! I used eggs that I had just bought (they say that fresh eggs are harder to peel). I put a cup of water in the insta pot, but that little rack in there and put the eggs on the rack. Closed it and pushed "egg" and then I went one + sign so it was up to 6 minutes (read that you were supposed to do that if you wanted hard boiled but I don't think it was necessary because they did have just the faintest green hue around the yolk which is indicative of being cooked too long). I could have peeled them with one hand. No problems peeling at all! It was just incredible!
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 08:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia View Post
I did make hard boiled eggs in it the other day. Turned out better than I could have imagined! I used eggs that I had just bought (they say that fresh eggs are harder to peel). I put a cup of water in the insta pot, but that little rack in there and put the eggs on the rack. Closed it and pushed "egg" and then I went one + sign so it was up to 6 minutes (read that you were supposed to do that if you wanted hard boiled but I don't think it was necessary because they did have just the faintest green hue around the yolk which is indicative of being cooked too long). I could have peeled them with one hand. No problems peeling at all! It was just incredible!
I have not tried eggs yet but you have convinced me - good job! Question - did they have the green yolks?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 09:32 AM  
Malia

Just a very light tinge of green around the yolk so I think if you just press the "egg button" and let it go they would be perfect. On the advice of some website after I pressed the egg button I pressed the + sign to add a minute or two to the cooking time (wanted to make sure they were cooked all the way through). If I had just left it I think they would have been perfect!

Edited to add - the website also said to peel them while they were still warm so I did that. I'm not sure yet if that was necessary (haven't tried to just put them in the refridgerator and peel as needed). You certainly don't have to plunge them in ice water like you normally do when cooking them on the stove
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 09:57 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Am I the only one who misreads the title of this thread every single time I see it?
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 10:23 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
Am I the only one who misreads the title of this thread every single time I see it?
LOL!!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 07:52 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
+1 - Lol!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 11:01 AM  
CarlaVeg

Good morning. Today I have a beef stew cooking in my instant pot. I am following this recipe and using the beef/stew button for the first time. Anyone else used this setting before?
Here is the recipe
http://www.theleangreenbean.com/instant-pot-beef-stew/

I'll come back when it's done to report results!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 11:21 AM  
gladgirl

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Carla. I love that it is classic beef stew. Let us know how it turns out. And I like that no thickeners, like cornstarch or flour, are used in it.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 11:42 AM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Thanks for sharing the recipe, Carla. I love that it is classic beef stew. Let us know how it turns out. And I like that no thickeners, like cornstarch or flour, are used in it.
I didn't use the tomato paste because i can't have tomato products, so probably it will be thinner. I'll find out soon!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 12:48 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

A sprinkling of instant potatoes flakes will thicken it right up.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instant pot