Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-15, 09:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I am so sorry sometimes I just hate the Fates for the misery they heap upon innocent people who never did anything to deserve a diagnosis like yours. Many hugs coming as well as my prayers and positive energy that your surgery is successful.

If you wish, I can offer you some practical tips for prior to your foot surgery.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 11:33 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

That is bad news and it must have been a shock. I'm very sorry that you have to go through this. How old are your kids? They may surprise you with what they can do to help. {{{HUGS}}}
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 11:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, flamingoo!

(((hugs)))

Please keep us posted.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 01:12 PM  
LeanneM

Oh, Flamingoo, I am so, so sorry! Sending you lots and lots of hugs!!!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 02:09 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I am so sorry sometimes I just hate the Fates for the misery they heap upon innocent people who never did anything to deserve a diagnosis like yours. Many hugs coming as well as my prayers and positive energy that your surgery is successful.

If you wish, I can offer you some practical tips for prior to your foot surgery.
Yes please! I'm open to every and anything.

Thank you everyone! I don't remember who all said what without going back and looking, but thanks for all your support. Cybersparkle I think you were the one who sent me info about more online support? I will be looking into that for sure.

As far as swimming goes he said it would be about 6 months for biking,walking,swimming and more like 12 months for running( which I really don't do much of these days)
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 02:15 PM  
flamingoo

Also, if any of you can think of more questions to take back to my Dr., please email me. I'm all ears. Sometimes others who have gone through something similar can recommend things I wouldn't have thought to ask. To make matters worse, I kind of have to move if I'm going to do it. My insurance changes in November. The surgery will be covered ( most of it now) when it changes I'll be starting all over
Old 04-29-15, 02:23 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Flamingoo, it sounds like SO much going on for you. I recommend you keep a pad and pen by you and jot things down as they occur to you to ask.

Here are my tips that helped me get through my foot surgery:

- Have an area set up where you can rest with your foot up. My DH rearranged the LR so that I could lay on the couch with the bad foot up on the sofa back, or up on stacked pillows. He laid out a sheet, tucked it into the cushions nice and tight and put blankets on it.

- Prepare food and freeze it for easy reheats. Before the surgery buy a small tray of raw veggies for snacking (and to help you "go" while on pain meds).

- See about renting or borrowing one of those walkers on four wheels with a fold-down seat like this. My dear Mom left one in the family and both my sis and I have used it for foot surgeries. In the early days after the surgery, when I had to use the john I would scootch over, sit on the seat and DH would push me to the bathroom.

- Visit your state's DMV website and print out a request for a temporary handicapped parking pass to have your doctor sign it - this can take awhile so the earlier the better.

- If you don't have a bottle of Febreze in the house, pick one up. In the event your foot is placed in a cast, Febreze is the best on banishing "smelly cast syndrome."

If I can remember anything else that helped me get through, I'll post.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 02:32 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Adding to what Pat said, a shower chair was great when I had a knee replacement.

More veggies on top of Pat's and/or a stool softener.

A potty chair, especially for nighttime when you aren't quite awake.

A supportive shoe for the working foot. It will be doing all the work.

I'll ask dh if he remembers anything.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 02:41 PM  
flamingoo

Thank you Linda and Pat! See I would never have thought of those things. I honestly assumed I would just be washing my hair in the sink and bathing with a washcloth I guess if anything at least I will be able to do a little cooking and freezing before hand. My oldest(14) is very good at helping and he can grill so that will help. I think it's my 4 year old that worries me the most. He's so darn active and I was looking forward to a fun summer with him My sister offered to come and stay, but we have a very small house and she has 2 kind of high maintenance kids which I'm not sure if I want to deal with. I don't do well with asking for help, but am going to put the word out at church this Sunday. I know they will help out.
Old 04-29-15, 02:49 PM  
Indy

Gee Whiz, I'm very sorry. Big Hugs to you. It is going to be inconvenient and so not fun for awhile but this too will pass, it'll be a distant memory and you'll be the one offering advice on here to somebody else.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote