Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-14, 07:39 PM  
BunnyHop

My brain is apparently wired so that it gets confused when shown the 'wrong' way to do things. It's only really a problem when an instructor insists that you follow along, doing whatever it is, then says, effectively, 'GOTCHA! Don't do what we just did.' It destroys my ability to trust them to lead me, and apparently confuses my muscle memory.

If an instructor wants me to do something a specific way, they should teach me that, THEN mention (without a nagging step by step) what should not be done.

This kind of confusion is the reason I much prefer workouts where the instruction (showing what to do, proper form, common errors, etc.) and the workout are totally separate. (Jari Love's original Get Ripped, for example, does this well. Even if she does goof on a few rep counts and has a few editing errors in the workout I trust her to teach me what I need to know, lead me when should follow, etc. .)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 08:58 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
My brain is apparently wired so that it gets confused when shown the 'wrong' way to do things. It's only really a problem when an instructor insists that you follow along, doing whatever it is, then says, effectively, 'GOTCHA! Don't do what we just did.' It destroys my ability to trust them to lead me, and apparently confuses my muscle memory. If an instructor wants me to do something a specific way, they should teach me that, THEN mention (without a nagging step by step) what should not be done.
I think our brains must have similar wiring, BunnyHop! Like Demeris, I've turned homicidal (or, at the very least, stark raving mad) with the original T-Tapp instructionals, because Teresa does exactly what you describe. A LOT! And I have permanently Joni-O'd Miranda. Just can't go through all that again!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 07:39 AM  
dianestjohn

This was one of the reasons I Joni-O'd the original Squeeze, then re-acquired it, then sold it, then bought it again, then gave it to charity. Tracy would often say "We're almost done I PROMISE" and then there would be 47 more reps just on that one side When an instructor keeps saying we're almost done and then goes on and on with a particular exercise I lose trust in them and don't want to even hear anything else they have to say. This is why I love Carrie from Pure Barre; she will say "we have about a minute and half more on this side" and you can trust that that's accurate.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 08:12 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Why do instructors waste time (theirs and ours) showing us what NOT to do--the wrong form, etc? It's bad psychology--at least for me. Whenever someone says, "Don't do this," I can hardly keep from doing it! Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, and just show the right way!

Teresa Tapp and CS's Miranda are, I think, the worst offenders.
The Firm is good at that too. Jen Carmen does it all the time in videos she leads. Once she did it and it sounded like she said to do this and I remember thinking, well that's horrible form lol!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 08:27 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddjeansgal View Post
My gripe is when they show a modification at the end of the set. Cathe does this in some of hers and it drives me crazy. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I did the same video a lot but, you know.
I wish instructors would always start with the modified version and then after a few reps, show the regular (or more advanced) version. That way, everyone could do the move instead of struggling until something easier is shown. After you've done the workout a few times, you can just start with whatever version you want because you'll know what's coming.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 08:37 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I mainly work out to Cathe and I love her workouts, but I dislike this ignore-the-beat thing she has going lately. If I'm doing an exercise that allows me to view her, fine, but it's awful when the move requires me to be bent-over, and especially when it will need to be repeated on the other side. I do filmed workouts in part so I don't have to count and I can focus on monitoring my form! It also bugs me because I just have a very strong tendency to entrain to the beat - it's how my body wants to move - so eventually I'm on the beat and probably going too fast for the exercise. (I've noticed this happens to Cathe too, actually.) Why not just pick music that's appropriate? Isn't that part of the point?

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 10:49 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

If we're "almost done", I like it when the instructor says how close to done we are. Give me specifics: "3 more reps", "20 more seconds" or an actual countdown "four, three, two and you're done". Because otherwise I suspect the instructor might be an evil liar.

My main workout pet peeve is people who don't mirror-cue. I bought Lastics recently and want to like it, but it drives me crazy that it's not mirror-cued.
Old 08-29-14, 12:19 PM  
videofit

I hate hearing instructors say "squeeze the muscle." If I am lifting weights, my muscles will squeeze whether I want them to or not.
Old 08-29-14, 11:05 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I don't like it when Amy Bento says, "I lied," in All Pump Xtreme.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 03:33 PM  
marmact

LOL, mine is kind of related to another one here. It drives me bonkers when they stop and not only show the modification on the last set but also spend five minutes talking about it. Cathe does that in one of the STS upper body workouts, and I always want to throw something at the TV, lol.