Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-20, 11:29 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Barefoot & On The Mat June 21-27: Happy Summer Solstice!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread. This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of work-outs, but have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you prefer doing traditional work-outs without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 11:40 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is Summer Solstice and I thought I'd put that in the title. Hmmm, it just now occurred to me that it is Winter solstice where Anny lives. I tried to edit the title to "Happy Solstice" but it wouldn't let me edit the title. Sorry Anny!

Here is what I did this morning:

Fitness Becomes You Volume 1 Program C Upper Body workout
Jessica Smith 10 Minute Total Body Strength No Equipment Workout on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf9...Wn5K4jF9RA9BNY

Happy Birthday, Dear Carolyn!!!
Old 06-21-20, 01:00 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Thank you Paine for getting us started this week.

Carolyn: A Very Happy Birthday to you!!! To answer your question from last week's thread, yes I am back at work, such as it is. At the library we are still only doing curbside pickup, but sometime next month we'll start allowing patrons inside for computer use only (just a limited number, by appointment). No one will be allowed in yet just to browse the stacks or to sit and read. The good news, though, is that we'll be back to full staffing at my branch -- I literally haven't seen some of my co-workers in months!

Just returned from an XLAW, and will be back later with today's workout.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 02:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Sunday and Happy Birthday Carolyn!!!

Paine, thanks for starting us off. I'm sure I've said this before, but the summer solstice always makes me a little sad b/c the days start to get shorter.

Sandra our libraries still aren't open. I still have to try the curbside some time.

I found out that my yoga teacher, Aimee, has free classes on Vimeo via one of the studios where she teaches, so I enjoyed practicing with her today. Here is the link for anyone interested (there are other classes as well, mostly with the owner, Imani, who is also founder of Yoga 4 a Good Hood, a local organization that was featured in Yoga Journal a few months ago):
https://vimeo.com/truyoga

I continued to do a lot of Barre3 this past week, although I worked my way through all the free routines on FB and most of the ones on YT.

Monday
30MTF Kickboxing - Workout #1
Barre3 (FB) - 10m Iowa City

Tuesday
Barre3 Online (YT) - 30m Balancing Workout
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Quick Standing Core to Stabilize Lower Back
Daily Movement Multivitamin (all)
plus hike in state part with DH

Wednesday
Yin Yoga TT, 80m Yin Class (Day 3, Lesson 1)

Thursday
Bedford TV MA (YT) - Barre3 #2
BodyFit by Amy (YT) - Upper Body Kettlebell
SarahBeth Yoga (YT) - 13m Mobility for Posture

Friday
Jari Love (YT) - Home Workout 30mins
Round One Ready (YT) - Barre3 10m Full Body with Sadie
PopSugar (YT) - Barre3 Workout for Arms & Legs with Sadie
yin on own

Saturday
Annie Taylor Efremsky (YT) - Double Arm Workout
James Knight (YT) - Gentle Somatic Yoga Class #2

Sunday
Tru Yoga (Vimeo) - Yoga class with Aimee 6/19

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 06:41 PM  
cyana

Sorry to be such a check-in zero these days - still working long hours. I pretty much repeated last week's regimen, as it was easy to work in. I did "just OK" with my stated goal of being horizontal in bed by 10....at least it was right around 10 and not 11 or 12. Most nights I was in bed within a couple of minutes of 10 and I think 10:15 was about the latest, so not terrible. This week I'm going to try to shoot for 9:30 to give myself some time to read. Hopefully I'll consistently start waking up around 6 AM to have more time to work out before starting my work day - at least that's the goal. I'm also cranking the A/C down a couple of degrees to see if that helps.

Carolyn - Happy Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day and best wishes for many years of good health and happiness.

Beth - Thanks for posting the links to Aimee's practices. Having heard you mention her name many times, I'll be interested to watch her videos. I'm with you on being sad that the days will start getting shorter - give me lots of sunshine, please!

Sandra - Some of our library branches are going to re-open for "limited browsing" (not sure how they plan to enforce that), using the computers, obtaining/renewing library cards, etc., next month. None of the branches closest to me are reopening at this time, unfortunately. I need to renew my library card, so hopefully my branch will open at some point in the not too distant future.

Paine - I'm going to try that double arm work-out soon. It's funny you did Karen's stretch last week....earlier today I was thinking that some stretching with Karen would probably be good medicine with all the recent hours at the desk!

Hope all is well with Garrie and Linda.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 06:51 PM  
Garrie A.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROLYN!!!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 07:12 PM  
Donna D

Happy Birthday Carolyn!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:31 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Vimeo AimeeJune19 yoga practice
https://vimeo.com/430762747

I did 20 minutes of one of Aimee's yoga practices that Beth told us about. The practice was over an hour but I stopped after 20 minutes because there were many traditional standing yoga poses that I don't care for (I prefer Yin Yoga). I'm not a fan of spending a long time in down dog then I especially don't like being in down dog with a leg raise and she did that series longer than I cared for. Then she went into humble warrior to chair, etc. so I stopped.

Beth and Cyana, while I don't like losing minutes of daylight each day, I have no dread of going into winter now that my DH and I have moved to a warmer climate.
Old 06-22-20, 09:48 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine and cyana, I was going to come back to say that Aimee's practices are more intermediate flow. I have noticed her style changing over the years; she is definitely less vinyasa-based/more individual than she used to be. One of the main things I like about her teaching is the philosophical elements that she weaves through each class.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 05:38 PM  
Anny

Happy, happy birthday, Carolyn!